DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do people claim mini 2 has better video compared to mini 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mini 1 uses line skipping and pixel binning to record video from a larger higher resolution sensor area at a lower resolution. This is very common practice and is the same method used to record even lower resolution video, such as 1080p, with the same field of view.

The line skipping and pixel binning could also account for the noticeable loss in detail as well as the aliasing noticed by @Kilrah compared to the Mini 2.
The reason for this, IIRC, is because the 1 has a less capable video processing pipeline, and can't handle the 4K data rate.

Sensor pixel resolution isn't the only important factor here, by far.

Reactions: Kilrah
See thread title.
All test comparing video have shown the supposed 4K has exactly the same resolution compared to the 2.7K from the mini 1.

Yet why do people still claim it is improved? Because of paper specs?
It's just sad that you do not know how to configure your stuff. I doubt you even own a drone.o_O

A 75 inch Sony Bravia 75XH9096 ultra HD television. I also have a 16 inch 2021 a MacBook Pro
OK, I have a new Sony Bravia 55", so that's certainly comparable.

Am I understanding correctly that on that screen, you can't see any difference between a max quality Mini-1 vid, and a max quality Mini-2 vid?

Is that right?

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: test2000Anafi
The evidence is in the fact that no comparison has ever been able to show that mini 2 captures video detail beyond mini 1. It is possible both use the same 2.7K sensor crop for video and the mini 2 simply saves it at 4K
Possible?

That should be knowable, yes?

In any event, the proof is in the viewing. Either there's a visible difference, or there isn't.

If someone has already done the test I'm planning...back-to-back Mini-1 -- Mini-2 vids of the same thing on the same day...could you post them?

Thx,

TCS

Mini 1 released early with flaws that became obvious. Wind resistance, props touching, etc. DJI corrected most with the mini 2 and camera improvements were almost secondary.

It's possible that such comparisons have been made, make the case, but you haven't seen them.

It's also possible that you have comported yourself in such a manner that no one cares to waste their time finding a demonstration that would convince you, even though they've seen it. You're spamming several threads obnoxiously hammering the same obsession.

It is utterly unimportant to convince you. That's where I am.

Be obnoxious, show no grace when called on it, and you make no friends.
I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to find comparison vids.

I'll just create them, probably in less than a week.

1649020806216.png

Let there be vids!

TCS

I dunno...that looks like a petty definitive win for the Mini-2 to me...

I guess I'm going to have to check out those ND filters. Is there any reason NOT to use them on every flight?

Can anyone suggest where I can get one or a small set of them cheap? Used would be OK.

Thx,

TCS

The mini 1 uses line skipping and pixel binning to record video from a larger higher resolution sensor area at a lower resolution. This is very common practice and is the same method used to record even lower resolution video, such as 1080p, with the same field of view.

The line skipping and pixel binning could also account for the noticeable loss in detail as well as the aliasing noticed by @Kilrah compared to the Mini 2.
What is "aliasing"?

Thx,

TCS

An example is the "stairstepping" effect on slowly moving straight lines.

The evidence is in the fact that no comparison has ever been able to show that mini 2 captures video detail beyond mini 1. It is possible both use the same 2.7K sensor crop for video and the mini 2 simply saves it at 4K
Where did you arrive at the so-called fact of the inability to show a benefit with the Mini 2? Is everyone who attempts such a comparison required to check in with you? Or have you monitored every attempt at such a comparison?

Refer back to post #13 regarding proving a negative.

What is "aliasing"?

Thx,

TCS
So imagine a smooth straight line that is at an angle and then delete every few lines and put the image back together, it would look something like below

4E6A4D7F-C85A-495B-8D0F-7C40C1C7BDCE.jpeg
For a practical example of how this can look see the example on the right below next to a the non aliased image on the left. CE7831F5-18F1-4CB9-A25F-5DFFDF369616.jpeg

Reactions: Moozer
So imagine a smooth straight line that is at an angle and then delete every few lines and put the image back together, it would look something like below

View attachment 146218
For a practical example of how this can look see the example on the right below next to a the non aliased image on the left. View attachment 146219

Should we anticipate that some will assert that the image on the left was shot with a Mini and the one of the right with a Mini 2?

• Haha
Reactions: Mrveronn and Kilrah
I'm certainly not going to waste my time trying to find comparison vids.

I'll just create them, probably in less than a week.

View attachment 146217

Let there be vids!

TCS
@Chaosrider, Epicflight's reply that you quoted was referring to the OP Test2000Anafi and not you.
Let's not fight among us for someone who is quite blatantly trolling at the moment.

Reactions: EpicFlight
OK, I have a new Sony Bravia 55", so that's certainly comparable.

Am I understanding correctly that on that screen, you can't see any difference between a max quality Mini-1 vid, and a max quality Mini-2 vid?

Is that right?

Thx,

TCS
correct, also I am basing it on the excellent research by (YouTube channel) Paladrone

These were not taken with mavic minis as far as I know. I was only answering the question that was asked of me which was, “what is aliasing?”
Understood.

There's at least one person who maintains that the output from the Mini 2 is of lower quality or no better than that of the Mini. It was another bit of humor that fell flat.

I own a mini 1 and a 7ft wide 4k screen and to me the video footage looks superb. The images are sharp and clear. I know what 4k looks like and tbh I can't see THAT much of difference.
I'm guessing there is an improvement on the mini 2, but I doubt it's that noticible.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
I own a mini 1 and a 7ft wide 4k screen and to me the video footage looks superb. The images are sharp and clear. I know what 4k looks like and tbh I can't see THAT much of difference.
I'm guessing there is an improvement on the mini 2, but I doubt it's that noticible.
Well I'm convinced.

I don't need more than a guess and a doubt for solid credibility.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Kilrah
Well I'm convinced.

I don't need more than a guess and a doubt for solid credibility.

:rolleyes:
It's better, I get it. I'm just comparing to other 4k stuff.
Side by side it may be noticible. The proof in the pudding is to have a mini and a mini 2 set to follow the same waypoint path and then post the side by sides.

It is better, now whether most people will be able to see the difference on their setup likely not, but that's valid for any 4K footage and is a whole different topic. few people are viewing in a way where they actually benefit from 4K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke