DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why hasnt Japan or the USA produced a competitive drone?

I think the Indago might have a better chance of ending up in the hands of terrorists while it is being put to use on the battlefield. Some of the best technology that we have acquired during wartime has been through capturing the technology of our enemies.

I don’t mean a captured one, people understand that’s just a possibility with anything in warfare and makes whoever lost it look bad not the manufacturer.

And maybe that wasn’t a good example maybe one ending up on the White House lawn would be a better example.

Reactions: Former Member
People in the USA wouldnt touch Japanese cars back then, not because of the resentment from the war, but because Toyotas were too small for the average American to want to get in to. Their quality was also poor back then.

American made cars were still the rage up until the mis 70's and the advent of the Z cars. By the 90's Japan had a firm grip on the US car market.
Wasn’t suggesting any resentment from the war. Was meaning that Japanese cars and electronics where cheap and basically copies of what was being made around the world. People wouldn’t touch Japanese products as they were (typically known as Jap Crap) inferior knock offs. But as we know, they have refined their products to being amongst the best around.

Because software engineers in China will work really long hours and be super committed for $12k/year and be happy doing it.

The USA ?? cannot compete with that.

I don’t mean a captured one, people understand that’s just a possibility with anything in warfare and makes whoever lost it look bad not the manufacturer.

And maybe that wasn’t a good example maybe one ending up on the White House lawn would be a better example.

Do you remember which one landed on the WH lawn? Phantom?

China is now the manufacturing capital of the world, a lot of American companies actually invent the technology but send their production to China, Its a double edged sword.While they manufacture the cheapest they also copy and steal the technology.

Whatever the reason its not technology based.

From repairing the products you would appreciate that all the really clever parts are sourced from American and other non Chinese entities who own the IP. Texas Instrument, Intel/Movidius etc....

Reactions: brett8883
Whats you opinion on the reason?
I think its already been nicely articulated by others. Manufacturing costs in China allow for drones and other high tech products to be brought to market at a cheaper price than might be realised elsewhere.

Because software engineers in China will work really long hours and be super committed for $12k/year and be happy doing it.

That’s the bottom line but it’s more to the story

What about Autel and Parrot? They are "western" companies with decent products, yet they're struggling.
Autel a western company?
No ... they are as Chinese as DJI and their headquarters are just down the road from DJI at 7th, 8th and 10th floor, Building B1, Zhiyuan, Xueyuan Road, Xili, Nanshan, Shenzhen, 518055, China.
They just have a USA sales office and are happy to let people think they are a US company.

The other reason that no-one else is properly competing with DJI is the huge technological head start that DJI have.
It's very hard for any new competitor to get to a point where they can just match what DJI is offering.
It's no small task to start up drone production.
Look at how much effort GoPro put into their drone which turned out to be a dismal failure.

Funny, I do some work for institutions from time to time
Who’s on the Campus? Just fine folk from China
We got what we asked for

Autel a western company?
No ... they are as Chinese as DJI and their headquarters are just down the road from DJI at 7th, 8th and 10th floor, Building B1, Zhiyuan, Xueyuan Road, Xili, Nanshan, Shenzhen, 518055, China.
They just have a USA sales office and are happy to let people think they are a US company.

The other reason that no-one else is properly competing with DJI is the huge technological head start that DJI have.
It's very hard for any new competitor to get to a point where they can just match what DJI is offering.
It's no small task to start up drone production.
Look at how much effort GoPro put into their drone which turned out to be a dismal failure.

I’m still just not really convinced it’s a technological barrier. I think if Boeing or Lockheed Martin wanted to make a consumer level drone they could do it tomorrow and it would be better than a DJI product. They’d probably want more for it then we are gonna be willing to pay for it and that might be the biggest reason why it hasn’t been done.

As somebody pointed out earlier it runs on an Android(American) OS, it’s processors are made by Intel(American), and can only be controlled via an Android device(American), an iOS device(American), or via Windows SDK(American). DJI didn’t invent GPS(American) or PID(?). They certainly didn’t invent the quadcopter or were the first to put a camera on one.

DJIs genius is they put all those things together in a slick package that anyone could use, built in as much idiot proofing as humanly possible, all at a price the average joe’s like us could afford. So I doubt it’s a technology issue I think it’s a matter if they put all the right pieces together and convinced you and I that their products would be worth the $1500 or whatever we spent on it. No easy task but I’m not at all convinced the technology part is what keeps others from entering the market.

Its just like what feature or or price point would it take for you to switch? I very much doubt we could get the price lower so what feature would it take to get you to switch? And don’t say a 4K 60FPS camera or your would have purchased a Autel. What feature would be so great that you would be willing to try out an untested company’s product? Idk to tell you the truth. DJI has eared a lot of trust points with me

Reactions: Former Member

Last edited:
I think if Boeing or Lockheed Martin wanted to make a consumer level drone they could do it tomorrow and it would be better than a DJI product.

And government agencies who have some money could afford it. Beoing and LM have not yet bridged the gap between military/industrial and consumer.

And government agencies who have some money could afford it. Beoing and LM have not yet bridged the gap between military/industrial and consumer.

And really why would they? If you have a golden goose willing to buy everything you can make and more with 30 year contracts paid before the product is even on the assembly line why would you do anything else? Sounds like a good gig to me

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31