DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is DJI acting like the drone police???

Yes people are idiots, if we would all fly safe and never do dum irresponsible s.... I’m shure dji would luv to say all could be trusted, I hope they start having a back ground check and only peps that can be trusted could purchase there drones, that would cut there funds so much, then they would only makes cheap crap, I’m a Lic Electrician , if they would have a test just to show the person had a little brain matter, so many dum knuckle heads, my saying is they have 4 brain cells and each of the 2 are fighting each other

I just want to say be glad that as a hobbyist or a 107 pilot you do not have to do the the reporting that is required by us COA users. Every flight I have to file a NOTAM and monthly I have to submit my flight records. What a PIA. Granted we have a little more leniency to fly in areas that are not Class G, we can at night, we can request approval to fly in a TFR, and even over people. But, we can not fly beyond VLOS and via goggles. Nor can we fly higher than our COA authorizes usually 400 feet unless you have special authorizations. What I am trying to say is that I deal with the same software restrictions and have to constantly override the software because I am explicitly allowed to fly in that area.

I'm with DJI...when they restrict key areas from flight they are protecting their own interests because every negative incident involving a drone creates public outrage to "outlaw" them. That would impact me cause I love to fly. Just like certain roads are restricted to drive on, air access should be also. Just my humble opinion.

Being that this is a drone forum, naturally this has been discussed to death.

Yes, most people agree with you. But DJI is also aware that some drone enthusiasts have flown where they shouldn't and have caused problems. DJI has a commercial interest in avoiding additional government regulations on the industry, so has been taking matters into its own hands to try to avoid that by trying to keep its customers from flying where they shouldn't. Sometimes their system doesn't always work perfectly.

That said, there is a way to get approval to fly your drone where you were, but you would have had to start the process ahead of time.

If you were shooting video of a gun club event, even if you weren't being paid for it that's considered commercial use of the drone, so you would have needed to have a Part 107 certificate from the FAA. Since you don't know air space regulations, I assume you don't have a Part 107.

It's lawful for a gun club to operate near an airport. Depending on the classification of that specific airport, it is not lawful for a drone to operate within a certain distance of the airport. DJI was enforcing that restriction, which can be bypassed if you go through the proper procedure.

I was about to respond with this same answer. Spot on.
DJI is trying to protect it's business from the idiots who fly without common sense & do illegal things BEFORE the governments step in & regulate it with even harsher controls themselves.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
If anyone doesn't like it, don't buy their products. Pretty simple.

Though your comment has a simple solution, and I tend to agree to a point, it doesn’t however mean that folks that use DJI equipment have to like it. It also doesn’t make what DJI is doing right by any means.

DJI over reacting to criticism from gov't and media on past intrusions, alleged and real, on airports, etc.

^ this

It doesn't help that every time the media reports on any sort of alleged drone incident the stock photograph they use is inevitably a Phantom.

I was about to respond with this same answer. Spot on.
DJI is trying to protect it's business from the idiots who fly without common sense & do illegal things BEFORE the governments step in & regulate it with even harsher controls themselves.

I agree, and don’t claim to have a solution, but I have a hard time buying into this concept. Just like the so called drug “epidemic” for example, a very minute percentage of the country’s population are using/abusing drugs or engaging in other criminal activities, yet instead of punishing the very few responsible, they just treat the entire population as potential criminals and/or rule breakers.

Those that do the right thing doesn’t deserve to be treated the same that don’t.

1. It's a business decision by DJI to appease country airspace governing bodies
2. Muppets are still posting you tube videos flying above 400ft/120m and well beyond visual LOS
3. Like a gun they can be used irresponsibility and for bad
4. We have licences for cars, speed limits, speed zones and are taught how to drive these lethal weapons and they have registration for traceability
5. The uptake growth of drones is phenomenonal they could in the not to distant future be as ubiquitous as cameras and mobile phones, imagine the chaos flying a drone when that density occurs.

Don't get me wrong I get as pissed as everyone else as I watch parks and reserves and city councils jumping on bans and permits (aka let's make some money out of these little bad boys). However the flip side is that someone will get injured by a drone and then they will then want to sue for hundreds of thousands $$ both the pilot and the "owner" of the airspace that allowed it to happen.

We live with rules and regulations every day, they all came about because some people have no common sense and by enlarge those rules are in place for those Muppets...... Mind you who hasn't had a speeding ticket

I've just obtained my Remote PL here in Australia, it seemed a little over the top, a whole week of training and 10 hours logged, but it did enlighten me, changed my perspective somewhat and now gives me the chance to put in an application for flights in controlled airspace should I want to and what i need to be cognisant of for that application to succeed.

Remember government and state bodies don't have the capability to respond quickly (we've seen them wrestle with Uber) and have been left scrambling with policy and procedure cobbled together quickly to both accommodate and control as best as possible with these new technological disrupters.

It's bad enough that when there's news about drone incidents, most people think of DJI's drones. They don't need anymore publicity, especially if it does turn out it's one of their products. And it'll cost them money and time when government and law enforcement comes knocking at their door asking: "can you track down who owns this drone that caused that crash?". And it cost them money if they need to get their lawyers involved. They are a business, they want to avoid any unexpected, expensive expenses where possible.
Hey man how' it going have you ever experienced clearance control from fed ex?

DJI over reacting to criticism from gov't and media on past intrusions, alleged and real, on airports, etc.
I can fly my Mavic anywhere. It's an 'old' one.

this has been talked to death & my opinion hasn't changed. if i buy a product, that product is mine. i can buy a car and break the speed limit. i can buy whiskey and get drunk & loud. neither ford nor jack daniels is responsible for what i do. we already have laws and guidelines. it's not DJIs job to enforce them from their compound in beijing (or whereverthehell they are). i'm pt. 107. i obey the rules. i never fly out of vlos. i fly every week within within 50 yards of the end of a runway at a regional airport after calling the tower and saying, for example - "hi randy - i'm at (location) and i'm going to be flying at no greater than 30 feet for approximately 20 minutes beginning at 4:30pm" before modifying MY property, that flight would have been the business of randy, DJI and me. without our chinese overlord's say, i couldn't take off and do my job. now, it's just randy & me ... much easier. updates? don't need 'em. my mavic is a tool. v600 works for what i do, it's solid. a "1" has been changed to a "0" in dev. mode and now i am happy with the way MY property flies - where and when i need to fly.

Reactions: Doug Lare
I don't have height restrictions on my Mavic but I choose to fly responsibly. That said - it does feel good to be in complete control of something I paid for. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2