DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Mini 3 Pro beats Air2S 4K image quality

Quote from online photo website -- " The crop sensor affects your field of view (how close you are to your subject), your depth of field (how thin your focus plane is/how much background blur you’ll get) and the amount of TOTAL light hitting the sensor (same amount of light per square inch of sensor, but less total light because you have less sensor area) and therefore your image quality.". Crop sensor being smaller sensor.
So f1.7 on small sensor does not mean more light than f2.8 larger sensor
"affects your field of view (how close you are to your subject),"

I'm not arguing with their conclusion but they're off base on their definition of field of view. It's not distance from the subject. It's the angular width of what the camera sees, expressed in degrees or width at a specified distance.

Quote from online photo website -- " The crop sensor affects your field of view (how close you are to your subject), your depth of field (how thin your focus plane is/how much background blur you’ll get) and the amount of TOTAL light hitting the sensor (same amount of light per square inch of sensor, but less total light because you have less sensor area) and therefore your image quality.". Crop sensor being smaller sensor.
So f1.7 on small sensor does not mean more light than f2.8 larger sensor
what they meant is a ‘large’ lens on a full frame body or on a aps-c body, I cannot really explain it.

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
My understanding is that f1.7 on small sensor is not the same as f1.7 on a large sensor. In terms of light and depth of field. So 1.7 on Mini may not be better than 2.8 on air2 because different size sensor.
Paper thin DOF is overrated.
And f1.7 is f1.7 and it always projects ~200% brighter image on focal plane than f2.8.
So sensor would have to be that much larger to compensate for that.

Though how well sensor can capture all that light on focal plane can vary.
Very small pixels aren't easy for that with every pixel needing also other circuitry than photosite itself.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
The only reason a larger sensor is said to capture more light with the same f stop is because this generally suggests the pixel's physical size is larger, but this is only true if the resolution of both sensors is the same. Sony's low light full-frame mirrorless camera the A7S III comes with a 12mp sensors for this exact reason, but many so-called experts overlook this all the time.

To compare both drones and which is better in low light you need to know Sensor size, Resolution & Aperture.

The only reason a larger sensor is said to capture more light with the same f stop is because this generally suggests the pixel's physical size is larger, but this is only true if the resolution of both sensors is the same. Sony's low light full-frame mirrorless camera the A7S III comes with a 12mp sensors for this exact reason, but many so-called experts overlook this all the time.

To compare both drones and which is better in low light you need to know Sensor size, Resolution & Aperture.
the pixel size is effectively the same between Air2S and mini 3Pro with the latter having each pixel split up in 4 to allow for multiple exposures at the same time, with less noise/more dynamic range as a result.
The sensor for the Air2S is larger though, with the resolution being larger as well

• Haha
Until the Mini 3 actually hits the market, my Mavic Air 2 is superior to all the Mini 3s in the world. If they bring this out, I will not buy it as my Air 2 is a great drone and I don't need the latest and greatest until I decide to upgrade. What are you trying to prove with all this undocumented data?
You said the same thing about the Air2s

• Haha
Regarding what?

It's hard to tell how good the video is over YouTube even though he had perfect opportunity to test the dynamic range of the sensor during the setting Sun.
With the interface/controller shown you see he is constantly underexposing.
Anyway you can still see how clean it looks

• Haha
Have fun with this guy,I gave up and developed nausea listening to this person
only because I told you months in advance that this drone would replace air2s for all intents and purposes. You didn’t want to accept that the camera is superior to everything that is not the Mavic3 either. everything I said was true, it is not my fault that you and your buddies could not look beyond sensor size, I tried to warn you and you could have learned something.

• Haha
only because I told you months in advance that this drone would replace air2s for all intents and purposes. You didn’t want to accept that the camera is superior to everything that is not the Mavic3 either. everything I said was true, it is not my fault that you and your buddies could not look beyond sensor size, I tried to warn you and you could have learned something.
Leave me alone,and I will do the same.

Leave me alone,and I will do the same.
The only thing before I leave,your not thinking clearly,why because you have repeated the same thing basically
over and over again for different people on here.We are all getting sick and tired of it.All done and I wash My hands
of you.

If that's the case, I wonder if DJI is simplifying their product line or if there will be an Air 3 line?

If that's the case, I wonder if DJI is simplifying their product line or if there will be an Air 3 line?
There will be an air 3 for sure! It should have a similar gimbal design, but with full side OA (maybe even full 360), a bigger sensor, and other improvements over mini 3 pro.

just see it like this; if you own both mini 3 pro as well as air2s, then there are not a lot of situations where, if you could only bring one, you’d bring the air2s

not to say that air2s is a bad drone, it is quite excellent, it is currently the best drone available (that is not mavic 3)still. It’s just that IMO, the mini 3 is even better. People could not handle that fact but it is just the way of life. I tried warning a full year in advance but it was all for nothing:

Long time photographer enthusiast here, who out of professional habits (engineer) likes to study how things work; I'm not going to try to get into an explanation on why @test2000Anafi is utterly clueless about what affects image quality.

I'm only going to ask one simple question. @test2000Anafi WHY do you insist so maniacally on proving everyone else wrong over the completely pointless non-issue of whether an upcoming flying gadget beats all previous models to oblivion? Do you get some sort of enjoyment out of this? You've managed to argue with most members in here, many if whom are very knowledgeable and are kind enough to dedicate their time to help others, be it with flying advice, crash analysis etc. Is it worth it? I honestly want to know.
I NEVER argued with anybody knowledgable, I was in agreement with them actually.

• Haha
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent