DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why was I allowed to take off w/gimbal cover on?

I did the same thing once when I first got my Mavic Pro Platinum but ever since I bought this set from Amazon I haven't done it since. The set came with two locking gimbal covers, one smoke and one solid gray. The covers have a fork type lock built in so you don't have to use the back one anymore. I use the solid gray one now exclusively and have never forgotten to remove it since because the camera isn't visible with it on.

534EA390-6836-4D25-A9EA-95BB28E34C4E.jpeg

Recovering those files is another problem I'm having. My 11 yr old Dell Lap Top PC running old windows xp won't run DJI Assistant 2. I get DJI Assistant 2.exe is not a valid Win32 application. I can connect to the bird via my tablet but I only see video and picture files. I can DL the pics but the vids are too large, because they're larger than 1080? I can see a file on my phone and tablet, they're sync'd, but don't have whatever app I need to open it. I'll try to copy paste it here. What app am I meeting?

Good new, you don't need DJI Assistant 2 to pull the .TXT and .DAT files from the iPad. You use iTunes (hope you can still run iTunes on your older Dell PC). DJI Assistant 2 pulls the .DAT files from the drone (not the iPad/iPhone) and for the Mavic Air and Mavic 2 (Pro and Zoom) DJI encrypted these data files so us folks can't even read them (only DJI can decipher and read them). We can only read the data files stored on the iPad/iPhone itself.

Run iTunes on the laptop, connect the iPad to the Laptop and then follow the directions in the above post #15 with the web site for directions on downloading the files of interest.

Good new, you don't need DJI Assistant 2 to pull the .TXT and .DAT files from the iPad. You use iTunes (hope you can still run iTunes on your older Dell PC). DJI Assistant 2 pulls the .DAT files from the drone (not the iPad/iPhone) and for the Mavic Air and Mavic 2 (Pro and Zoom) DJI encrypted these data files so us folks can't even read them (only DJI can decipher and read them). We can only read the data files stored on the iPad/iPhone itself.

Run iTunes on the laptop, connect the iPad to the Laptop and then follow the directions in the above post #15 with the web site for directions on downloading the files of interest.

My phone and tablet are Android devices, but I'll see if I can DL iTunes on my PC Based laptop.

Appreciate the help. I will post those files when I recover them.

Fly safe.... Steve

Oh boy, I downloaded iTunes onto my ancient Dell laptop. Same error, iTunes is not a Win32 application.

Geeez, I guess i need to update or get a new laptop.

Fly Safe....Steve

Haha Haha, too funny. I actually have one of those I put on my Harley when the forks are locked. A bit to big for M2P.

Thanks for making me laugh.. Fly Safe... Steve.

Funny, I got the same red flight tag and I've also used it on my disk brake lock on my Fatboy too!

If your tablet is Android, its much easier to get to the files.

No iTunes needed. iTunes is only for Apple devices.

For Android device, connect your mobile device to the PC and open the file folder window like you would when accessing files and/or folders. Then you can access the flight record in this route: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord for the .txt files

and the route: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord /MCDatFlightRecords for the .DAT files.

I get that adding an interlock would just increase price. And that it is my responsibility to do a through pre-flight.

I am going with tape and bright flag suggestion. I actually thought that, even the Blue tape part. I'll have the visual on my display too, but if I see the blue tape on display, I've already put the bird's gimbal.

My main question for the post was why didn't i get a warning. How could the bird turn on and pass initialization?

Safe flying....Steve.
You should have received a message saying "Gimbal Overload", BUT will not stop you from flying.

Recovering those files is another problem I'm having. My 11 yr old Dell Lap Top PC running old windows xp won't run DJI Assistant 2. I get DJI Assistant 2.exe is not a valid Win32 application. I can connect to the bird via my tablet but I only see video and picture files. I can DL the pics but the vids are too large, because they're larger than 1080? I can see a file on my phone and tablet, they're sync'd, but don't have whatever app I need to open it. I'll try to copy paste it here. What app am I meeting?
I believe you need Windows 10 or higher to run DJI4.

good point but remembering to remove the gimbal lock is all down to you the pilot,lots of people put a bright coloured label of some sort on the cover to remind them to remove it,or you could make it part of your pre flight check list it will come with practice you really do need to remove it though as it could damage the gimbal if left on
I always, well not always but mostly do a pre flight check before flying as my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Like you I learnt from my mistakes...?

I use this too. Has pre and post flight checklists. I’m always excited to fly so it slows me down enough to make sure it’s a good flight and that I’ve done what I need to do afterward before I pack it all up. Highly recommended, but you could construct your own and laminate it.

Reactions: AMann
This is my solution:

A piece of tape with a red cross over the cover.

A laminated memory card, I'll translate:

1. Unfold the antennas
2. Remove the protective cover from the camera
3. Screw in the control sticks
4. Connect phone/tablet and start app
5. Unfold antennas drone

Switch on foto/video camera

Attachments

• kruis.jpg
    kruis.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 22
  • herinnering.jpg
    herinnering.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: ff22
I have some of these (link below image). I got them for my Phantoms. It required that I drill a hole in the gimbal guard for those, but i have yet to find a good place to drill a hole in the OEM Mavic Pro guard.

Does the Polar Pro guard have a suitable place to drill a hole?

Yes, with the black Polar Pro, you would be likely to notice the back screen before take-off, but I prefer to take my gimbal guard off before powering up the aircraft (and when I forget, I prefer to shut the craft down to take it off, so it's all a hassle that is avoided with a Remove Before Flight banner).

Edit: only just now saw Hardgainer's post just above mine, can you tell us how that's affixed to the gimbal guard? Did you not use the key-ring?

Amazon.com: Rotary13B1 Remove Before Flight Key Chain - 3 Pack Red by: Automotive

Please do not operate a computer that connects to the internet and is still running Windows XP.

If you're using iPhone or iPad, you can create a little shortcut script that runs a checklist before starting DJI Go 4.
Shortcut Video

What's not seen in the video is that it also turns on "Do Not Disturb" and set screen brightness to 100%.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+