DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why you shouldn't be using AirMap

Full disclosure: I work at AirMap.

Not sure where you're getting the latest information, but it's totally outdated. AirMap hasn't been actively involved in ULC for over a year now. In March 2018, the company got a new CEO who shifted the company's focus away from policy and towards products like LAANC and projects like the UAS Integration Pilot Program and UTM Pilot Program to prove how collaboration between industry and government is the best way to get more drones in the sky. So far, it's working. Hopefully we can all agree that LAANC has been in the best interest of the drone industry. Still more work to be done, of course, but maybe this inside scoop helps you sleep better at night. Cheers!
Good to hear from somebody from AirMap thanks!

Reactions: Chip and Shon

Not sure where you're getting the latest information, but it's totally outdated. AirMap hasn't been actively involved in ULC for over a year now. In March 2018, the company got a new CEO who shifted the company's focus away from policy and towards products like LAANC and projects like the UAS Integration Pilot Program and UTM Pilot Program to prove how collaboration between industry and government is the best way to get more drones in the sky. So far, it's working. Hopefully we can all agree that LAANC has been in the best interest of the drone industry. Still more work to be done, of course, but maybe this inside scoop helps you sleep better at night. Cheers!

Any idea why the currently active Presidential TFR over NY/NJ for this afternoon and weekend isn't showing up on AirMap at the moment? That's pretty scary since the consequences for violating such a TFR are steep. This makes me never want to trust your app again. It shows up at the FAA TFR site and on KittyHawk btw. (9/3138 NOTAM Details for reference)

@mrhinman

Is skyward not on Android? Or maybe you just mean a website. Still new to this.

Also is kittyhawk ok for recreational flyers to use?

Any idea why the currently active Presidential TFR over NY/NJ for this afternoon and weekend isn't showing up on AirMap at the moment? That's pretty scary since the consequences for violating such a TFR are steep. This makes me never want to trust your app again. It shows up at the FAA TFR site and on KittyHawk btw. (9/3138 NOTAM Details for reference)
It will not show on most, if not all, apps until implemented, as opposed to the FAA TFR list. That’s why you should check FAA for TFRs

Reactions: Sparc343
It will not show on most, if not all, apps until implemented, as opposed to the FAA TFR list. That’s why you should check FAA for TFRs

It's a currently active TFR though. In the past these TFRs have shown up on AirMap but for some reason the TFR this weekend isn't showing up.

In Canada I use the drone site selection tool provided my transport Canada. Airmap says all of southern Ontario in a NFZ. I emailed them about it, and they said they look into it. That was 8 months ago and no changes.

The last time I checked KittyHawk on Android doesn't have LAANC included, unfortunately.

I just checked and it looks like the last update (July 3rd, 2019) finally added LAANC to KittyHawk! I'll give it a try next time I'm in the field!

Kittyhawk for Android still has no LAANC access that I can find. Only the Apple version has it from what I read and it was supposed to go live for Android this year sometime I forget exactly what the artical said....

Kittyhawk for Android still has no LAANC access that I can find. Only the Apple version has it from what I read and it was supposed to go live for Android this year sometime I forget exactly what the artical said....

It's in the latest Android release. Make sure your app is up to date. I tested it yesterday and it worked fine for getting a LAANC authorization.

To use it, launch KIttyhawk, click "Maps", scroll to the area that you want to get an authorization for, swipe up, and there should be a button there to request an Authorization.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 2.31.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 2.31.58 PM.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: dioscuriII
It's in the latest Android release. Make sure your app is up to date. I tested it yesterday and it worked fine for getting a LAANC authorization.

To use it, launch KIttyhawk, click "Maps", scroll to the area that you want to get an authorization for, swipe up, and there should be a button there to request an Authorization.
Well, I'll be dipped! Thank you sir. That was the answer I needed!

Reactions: dawgpilot
I use a general aviation app called ForeFlight. It displays not only where you are, but overlays the weather and flight restrictions in real time, on a sectional map. By 2020 it’ll overlay aircraft in Flight also.

I use a general aviation app called ForeFlight. It displays not only where you are, but overlays the weather and flight restrictions in real time, on a sectional map. By 2020 it’ll overlay aircraft in Flight also.

ForeFlight is pretty nice if you are a GA pilot, but the downsides are that it is a paid app, and iOS only (no Android). Also be careful that you check for UAS-specific TFRs, which ForeFlight might not be showing you: there are some TFRs that don't necessarily apply to general aviation, but apply to UAS pilots only. The FAA has them displayed here: ArcGIS Web Application

Hmm. If they strangle the industry then the industry will go rogue. They’ll have to allow breathing room.

If there is a novice reading this thread and is traveling to a new area and wants to fly his drone, I suggest the following : The ArcGIS maps are the maps for controlled airspace from a FAA perspective. So it should be the first place to look. But it only has airports, military bases and certain federal areas like federal prisons, DC NFZ etc.
It does not show state/county prisons/jails, national parks, wildlife sanctuaries, Coast Guard stations, heliports, military practice areas, etc.. so when I go into a new area - I will look at ARCGIS but also Kitty Hawk, Airmap, DJI's geofencing map and sectional "paper" maps. I then check for city / state laws for landing / taking off from parks, etc. I will also read blogs about drones in a specific area. I find that the combined information gives me a better picture of the area that I am considering flying. Some information may conflict but that just signals the need for further research before flying in a specific location. Last thing I want is to be doing something wrong and not be aware of it.
I find multiple sources are needed to understand the airspace and ground regulations plus give me awareness of what is in the vicinity before takeoff. Just my 2 cents.....

Reactions: Drgnfli

HOLY MOLY! Someone who works for AirMap who actually responds! Thank you!

Well, this is news, considering Greg McNeal's comments at InterDrone last year. Is he no longer with the company? Because his remarks were essentially drivel and insanity. Why hasn't AirMap spoken up? Many of us in the industry have been saying how AirMap is supporting the ULC's Tort Law based on McNeal's involvement. If you can answer this, I will retract everything I have said. The problem is that AirMap has not been defending itself in this arena at all! You need to be out there with your social media, with podcast interviews, and more telling folks your intentions or outdated information will prevail.

I've been shouting from the rooftops for people to quit using AirMap because NO ONE has ever responded to me. I might have to remove my soap box.

Reactions: dawgpilot
It's a currently active TFR though. In the past these TFRs have shown up on AirMap but for some reason the TFR this weekend isn't showing up.

I can look into it.
HOLY MOLY! Someone who works for AirMap who actually responds! Thank you!

Well, this is news, considering Greg McNeal's comments at InterDrone last year. Is he no longer with the company? Because his remarks were essentially drivel and insanity. Why hasn't AirMap spoken up? Many of us in the industry have been saying how AirMap is supporting the ULC's Tort Law based on McNeal's involvement. If you can answer this, I will retract everything I have said. The problem is that AirMap has not been defending itself in this arena at all! You need to be out there with your social media, with podcast interviews, and more telling folks your intentions or outdated information will prevail.

I've been shouting from the rooftops for people to quit using AirMap because NO ONE has ever responded to me. I might have to remove my soap box.

Haha, sorry it took so long to find you. There are a lot of drone facebook groups and forums out there.

So Greg has taken on an advisory role within the company. He stepped back when our new CEO came on board last March. At that time, he also stepped back from ULC. Greg's role on ULC was as one of two co-reporters. Co-reporters are in charge of writing down the rules and opinions of the committee, but they don't give opinions on their own. He was actually on the ULC because of his role as a law professor at Pepperdine, not as co-founder of AirMap. Obviously, that doesn't really matter because it could still be perceived as a conflict, so he stepped back. He hasn't been involved in over a year.

Regardless, the whole ULC thing feels a little overblown. The purpose of the ULC is to draft regulation. Then that regulation follows the democratic process and goes out for public opinion. Not surprising, the 200' rule got killed pretty quickly and democracy prevailed.

Ultimately, we got out of the policy business. Now we're focused on product and customers. Our key metric is literally how do we get more drones in the sky (safely).

We've been out there talking about this! Guess we just haven't found you yet. Our CEO went on a podcast last month. Here's the link -- AirMap Drone Airspace Interview With CEO, David Hose

Sorry again for leaving you out in the cold. Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

Reactions: mrhinman
I can look into it.

Haha, sorry it took so long to find you. There are a lot of drone facebook groups and forums out there.

So Greg has taken on an advisory role within the company. He stepped back when our new CEO came on board last March. At that time, he also stepped back from ULC. Greg's role on ULC was as one of two co-reporters. Co-reporters are in charge of writing down the rules and opinions of the committee, but they don't give opinions on their own. He was actually on the ULC because of his role as a law professor at Pepperdine, not as co-founder of AirMap. Obviously, that doesn't really matter because it could still be perceived as a conflict, so he stepped back. He hasn't been involved in over a year.

Regardless, the whole ULC thing feels a little overblown. The purpose of the ULC is to draft regulation. Then that regulation follows the democratic process and goes out for public opinion. Not surprising, the 200' rule got killed pretty quickly and democracy prevailed.

Ultimately, we got out of the policy business. Now we're focused on product and customers. Our key metric is literally how do we get more drones in the sky (safely).

We've been out there talking about this! Guess we just haven't found you yet. Our CEO went on a podcast last month. Here's the link -- AirMap Drone Airspace Interview With CEO, David Hose

Sorry again for leaving you out in the cold. Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

This reply is satisfying. Glad to see that AirMap has backed away from policy-making, and working on real-life technical solutions that do not harm the commercial drone industry.

There’s no 5 mile rule any more and the FAA no longer accepts flight notices by telephone. You can call the airport to give them notice of the operation and if you are flying in the immediate vicinity then it’s a good idea but you aren’t required to.
I was not able to locate any announcement or rulemaking update to that effect on the FAA website, what is the source for that info? I'd be hesitant to fly without being able to cite that.

It does not show state/county prisons/jails, national parks, wildlife sanctuaries, Coast Guard stations, heliports, military practice areas, etc.. so when I go into a new area - I will look at ARCGIS but also Kitty Hawk, Airmap, DJI's geofencing map and sectional "paper" maps. I then check for city / state laws for landing / taking off from parks, etc. I will also read blogs about drones in a specific area. I find that the combined information gives me a better picture of the area that I am considering flying. Some information may conflict but that just signals the need for further research before flying in a specific location. Last thing I want is to be doing something wrong and not be aware of it.
I find multiple sources are needed to understand the airspace and ground regulations plus give me awareness of what is in the vicinity before takeoff. Just my 2 cents.....

I thought the FAA maintains exclusive authority of the airspace? And if the city tried to regulate the ground to prevent TO/LZ, could you not use the roof of your car (extension of your home) as a TO/LZ? Just saying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan