DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi flying indoors... Has anyone tried it?

DesertWindAero

Reactions
Just curious if anyone has tried WiFi flying indoors.

If so, how'd it go?

What kind of environment was it? Large, open space? Offices? Cubicle city?

Did you try flying through doorways or windows?

Really would like to know before trying it...thanks!

Tried it, but my indoor light was too low and there was no GPS lock. I expected OPTI mode to kick in as it usually does when all my lights are on, but... nope. Stayed in ATTI, drifting backwards toward a wall. Several feet away from the wall, I told it to land, swiped to confirm landing, and then before touching down it did that thing where it tries to hover and check the ground... still drifting backwards. Right into the wall before landing. Prop dug into drywall, flung it into the floor which it skittered across for a couple feet before stopping the motors. A piece of the rear arm popped out, and the props were all battered up and needed to be changed.

My first and so far only crash.

So I might be prejudiced against wifi mode, but... definitely be careful that there is no way to immediately force a landing with the app while also controlling the drone's motion like there is with the controller.

(Environment was a large open basement. I turned on all the lights, which had always been enough to switch it into OPTI mode once it got in the air before.)

I used to want to fly indoors but the video captured is generally boring relative to the risk

Unless you are in a cathedral or some other big structure, if you want to film indoors, you can just walk around with the mavic in your hand to use it like an osmo, for the most part

I used to want to fly indoors but the video captured is generally boring relative to the risk

Unless you are in a cathedral or some other big structure, if you want to film indoors, you can just walk around with the mavic in your hand to use it like an osmo, for the most part

Early on back in Oct it was discussed in depth using the mavic as a hand held, with discussion of making a aftermarket handle for it to make it easier to hand shoot. This discussion was created because of the Go Pro Karma at the time.

DJI chined in and specifically said that the gimbal is optimized for flight and not as a hand held and would in no way be like the OSMO. I tried it and agreed so I bought a Osmo +. WHile you cold shoot video it is not smooth like flying or the Osmo, however slightly better than your point and shoot camera. The other issues with hand held is aiming since it requires the app or controller.

For me 80% of what I fly and video is indoors, I have a sports lighting company and we use it to shoot before and after of our projects, those are large spaces though. We used P3 before and the Mavic was a major upgrade for indoor flying.

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98