DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WIFI for iPad via iPhone hotspot?

phoenix3

Reactions
Are there any issues using your iPhones cellular network “hotspot” to provide WiFi access to your iPad mini 4 & Mavic Pro Platinum controller? Do you need WIFI all the time while flying?

Are there any issues using your iPhones cellular network “hotspot” to provide WiFi access to your iPad mini 4 & Mavic Pro Platinum controller?

Not really. Unless you get some sort of interference. Many people do this very thing routinely without any issue.

Do you need WIFI all the time while flying?

You only need a network/Internet connection for 2 things: 1) You want to use the "Follow me" mode (as that requires your device - the one that your Mavic is following - to have a GPS location); and 2) You need to view and denote the location of your device (not your Mavic or your home point, but your device) on your map; and 3) You wish to have continuous access to maps on your device. Okay, that's three... but technically you can cache your maps prior to ever leaving your house (while connected to the Internet) so you don't actually need a network connection in the field in order to have access to your maps.

Typically I down load my map via WiFi in GO4 before I leave the house, then turn the Mini4 to Airplane Mode so there is no interference while flying. The only time I would use my iPhone as a hot spot, if I needed to down load a new map because I moved locations or forgot to down load the map earlier, but I would NOT fly with the hot spot on. I have used the iPhone at times but try to remember to turn on Airplane Mode, otherwise I get interrupted with phone calls or text messages while flying which I don't like or want to happen. So far I have not used the Follow Me feature, so have not need the GPS feature of the iPhone, but if I wanted to do FM, I would use the iPhone in lieu of the Mini4.

Reactions: jag32266
You only need a network/Internet connection for 2 things: 1) You want to use the "Follow me" mode (as that requires your device - the one that your Mavic is following - to have a GPS location); and 2) You need to view and denote the location of your device (not your Mavic or your home point, but your device) on your map;
A network/Internet connection is not needed to use those features. You do need to be using a mobile device with a GPS receiver though.

Reactions: jag32266
Thanks everyone I ordered my iPad Mini 4 (WiFi only) from Best Buy $300, should be in this week. I also have a MavMount to attach it to the controller. First class setup,, very high quality.

Reactions: diveinstructor
Sorted. Thanks for that was just using google maps. Is this the easier way.

Thanks everyone I ordered my iPad Mini 4 (WiFi only) from Best Buy $300, should be in this week. I also have a MavMount to attach it to the controller. First class setup,, very high quality.
You do know the Ipad mini will fit in the RC arms without a 3rd party mount correct? But YES MavMount are very nice!!

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Well, I don't usually rely on any of the external hotspots. I keep a pocket mobile WiFi hotspot - Verizon MiFi with me all the time. The best bit about it is that it has got behemoth battery life, so far so, that you can actually also use it as a power bank. Well, I would suggest to go for external wifi devices.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_