DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi or GPS

letsgofly

Reactions
I am a greenhorn at this. I really like this forum.Ihave learned a lot here. I purchased a mavic air 5 days ago and have some questions. I am linked to gps. I guess that is all I need to fly? When would I need WiFi. I’m using an iPad mini 4. There is a map on my screen. I’ve seen some talk in this forum about caching maps? Did miss something.

Thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi guys

New forum member

Can you please see tell me what is a good free editing software
to use as I have taken some great video footage which want to some editing

Hi guys

New forum member

Maybe you’ll get better responses if you create your own thread instead of hijacking someone else’s!

Reactions: genesimmons
I am a greenhorn at this. I really like this forum.Ihave learned a lot here. I purchased a mavic air 5 days ago and have some questions. I am linked to gps. I guess that is all I need to fly? When would I need WiFi. I’m using an iPad mini 4. There is a map on my screen. I’ve seen some talk in this forum about caching maps? Did miss something.

Thanks
Howdy from Wyoming @letsgofly , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Thanks
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Reactions: Maverick joe
Try google.

Hi guys

New forum member

Reactions: InvisibleName

Thanks

Hello and welcome from Ontario Canada to Mavic Pilots!
And enjoy your stay here, there is a wealth of information to be had so take your time and look around and enjoy reading all the great stuff you can do with your Mavic, :) Feel free to ask any questions you may have and remember the search tool is a great resource to see who may have had a similar issue or may offer a great tip.
Enjoy your day and happy flying :)

Thanks
Your can’t, currently, download maps using an iOS device. But you can use the map before you lose your iPad’s WiFi connection and cache the area you are going to visit by using your fingers to navigate to that area.

Last edited:
Your can’t, currently, download maps using an iOS device. But you can use the map before you lose your iPad’s WiFi connection and cache the area you are going to visit by using your fingers to navigate to that area.
Can you just run that by me again? The map displayed on DJI Go surely comes from Google Maps, it does on my android phone anyway. And Google Maps lets you download "offline maps" which can be as big as your phone's storage can handle...surely a WhyPhone can do the same?

Can you just run that by me again? The map displayed on DJI Go surely comes from Google Maps, it does on my android phone anyway. And Google Maps lets you download "offline maps" which can be as big as your phone's storage can handle...surely a WhyPhone can do the same?
In a word - no it can’t (actually, 3,words!)

In a word - no it can’t (actually, 3,words!)

Don't sweat the typo, there are only three kinds of people you know; those that can count and those that can't.... :)

I'm not an Apple fan but that's a real wowser. Given it's a function of the Google Maps app, is it disabled because of some Apple 'thing'?

The Offline Maps function appears in what I'm guessing is a Google ID in the Maps sidebar...perhaps that's the restriction - can you have a Google ID on a WhyPhone? I assume this means you can't use Google Maps as a satnav unless you've got mobile data enabled? That's something you don't need on the Android version. I have virtually the whole of France stored, taking up around 300mb.

Sorry for this diversion, I'm just interested.

In a word - no it can’t
Don't sweat the typo, there are only three kinds of people you know; those that can count and those that can't.... :)

I'm not an Apple fan but that's a real wowser. Given it's a function of the Google Maps app, is it disabled because of some Apple 'thing'?

The Offline Maps function appears in what I'm guessing is a Google ID in the Maps sidebar...perhaps that's the restriction - can you have a Google ID on a WhyPhone? I assume this means you can't use Google Maps as a satnav unless you've got mobile data enabled? That's something you don't need on the Android version. I have virtually the whole of France stored, taking up around 300mb.

Sorry for this diversion, I'm just interested.
You can download maps in the Google map app (and yes, you can log in to your Google ID), there just isn't this function inside the DJI Go app. and, before you ask, downloading the map in the Google map app doesn't make it visible in the DJI Go app - I've tried!! It's a bummer!!

You can download maps in the Google map app (and yes, you can log in to your Google ID), there just isn't this function inside the DJI Go app. and, before you ask, downloading the map in the Google map app doesn't make it visible in the DJI Go app - I've tried!! It's a bummer!!

Ah ok so that's a different issue. And you've tried this with location services OFF on your phone so that the app would be forced (if it was able) to use an offline map?

Certainly on my android, if I don't want to pay for mobile data but say I use the satnav capability in Google Maps, I just download an offline map, turn off location services except GPS, and it plans a route and navigates using the offline map. Works the same when I'm using the drone. Offline Google map and only GPS enabled, all works fine...I'm puzzled as to why an iOS version of DJIGo wouldn't do the same, but then...Steve Jobs

Ah ok so that's a different issue. And you've tried this with location services OFF on your phone so that the app would be forced (if it was able) to use an offline map?

Certainly on my android, if I don't want to pay for mobile data but say I use the satnav capability in Google Maps, I just download an offline map, turn off location services except GPS, and it plans a route and navigates using the offline map. Works the same when I'm using the drone. Offline Google map and only GPS enabled, all works fine...I'm puzzled as to why an iOS version of DJIGo wouldn't do the same, but then...Steve Jobs
I can do all you can using the Google Maps app, just not inside the DJI Go app!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada