DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wild Goose Chase video

HiKen51

Reactions
I've decided to take this video off YouTube due to concern that it might encourage others to do what I never intended to do--bother the birds. Thanks for all your comments.

Being inexperienced, and not having read all the posts about disastrous Bird Strikes, I flew among a huge flock of Snow Geese, the Mavic actually took a hit from a wing, but just turned around and watched the flock fly on. Result was some amazing video, it's about 3 minutes long. (I cut the actual strike out of the final version, but it is posted. If anyone wants to see it, let me know.

Last edited:
Be careful, as Snows are migratory game birds and are protected by US Fish and Wildlife. They could construe this as harrassing wildlife and the fines are Huuge.

Reactions: dajohn17
While I found the video was definitely interesting to watch, I seriously have to question why anyone would think it was OK to go in there and disturb a huge flock of birds like that.
I for one do not find this sort of video does anything at all to endear us "drone" flyers to the general public, OR the authorities.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that there'll be a knock on your door or a letter in your mailbox requesting a face to face with someone from some sort of government agency.
:(

That was mesmerizing! When your Mavic was within the flock I was yelling at the screen "Oh Shite" and was just waiting for one of the birds to take it down. Quite Awesome!

Nice video... cant believe your mavic survived that flock. I let me dog chase geese all the time, I just consider it giving the lazy birds some exercise.

Nice video... cant believe your mavic survived that flock. I let me dog chase geese all the time, I just consider it giving the lazy birds some exercise.
I PREFACE THIS BY APOLIGIZING IN ADVANCE FOR ACTING AS THE "DRONE POLICE", something that I promised myself I would never do.
As a wildlife enthusiast, I am obligated to critic gratuitous wildlife videoing as verboten. Unless there is no or little unintended disturbance or the video has scientific importance in protection of wildlife, or to educate the public to the beauty and survival of the these creatures, intentionally disturbing migrating birds draws on and depletes their reserves of fat (stored energy), an essential commodity in their perpetual struggle for survival.
Imagine crowding a marathon runner repeatedly off the road with an automobile just because you think it's a good idea or to get a great shot for your annals. Unimaginable I hope.
These Creatures of the air, struggle mightily 100's and yes 1000's of grueling miles against the wrath of nature's tumults. Consider this Autumn's Hurricane season.
Imagine fog, driving rain and the effects of cities, human beacons ablaze luring flocks of migrants to their death, striking towers, buildings and other structures.
I too am a Mavic owner.
I too have accidently encountered wildlife and been simultaneously thrilled and anxious to avoid contact.
I only ask that we respect the original creatures of the air, from whom we've learned to duplicated, though comparatively limited, the skies we share.
Thank you for your patience.

I PREFACE THIS BY APOLIGIZING IN ADVANCE FOR ACTING AS THE "DRONE POLICE", something that I promised myself I would never do.
As a wildlife enthusiast, I am obligated to critic gratuitous wildlife videoing as verboten. Unless there is no or little unintended disturbance or the video has scientific importance in protection of wildlife, or to educate the public to the beauty and survival of the these creatures, intentionally disturbing migrating birds draws on and depletes their reserves of fat (stored energy), an essential commodity in their perpetual struggle for survival.
Imagine crowding a marathon runner repeatedly off the road with an automobile just because you think it's a good idea or to get a great shot for your annals. Unimaginable I hope.
These Creatures of the air, struggle mightily 100's and yes 1000's of grueling miles against the wrath of nature's tumults. Consider this Autumn's Hurricane season.
Imagine fog, driving rain and the effects of cities, human beacons ablaze luring flocks of migrants to their death, striking towers, buildings and other structures.
I too am a Mavic owner.
I too have accidently encountered wildlife and been simultaneously thrilled and anxious to avoid contact.
I only ask that we respect the original creatures of the air, from whom we've learned to duplicated, though comparatively limited, the skies we share.

I appreciate the critiques of my actions, I Didn’t really intend to disturb a group of resting geese. A little background May or may not help your concern. The fact is that this flock of geese had been flying around for quite some time, stopping and starting. They did not appear to be really resting, but just pausing in their morning search for food. This is not justification, merely explanation of what I observed. This was one of my first flights, and several people gathered around me, saying go a little closer. On the spur of the moment, and against my instinct and long-practiced principle of not disturbing wildlife, I may have gotten a little too close for comfort one time, after that I simply observed them from a distance. When they turned toward me, I didn’t know what to do, just hovered in place, hoping for the best. Fortunately neither the birds nor the drone got injured. Lesson learned. I hesitated to share the video, but like one other commenter, I was mesmerized by what I had observed and decided to share. Please accept the video in that spirit. BTW I feed whole flocks of avians at my home and do my best not to disturb them. :)

I too am a Mavic owner.
Very well said.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi