DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will DJI ever have wearabnle self follow drone option?

magclipper

Reactions
I love my Mavic & have gotten tons of great footage. For me at least.

Just wish they would join the few small companies that have gopro self filming in mind.

I'm assuming it is because they are covering their ads being such a big company. Probably the last thing they need to worry about.

Wondering if there are any hacks, work arounds and/or apps I don't know about?

I have an order in for a couple other drones with what I want but prefer the Mavic & a steady company.

Don't need judgemental posts because you will not change my mind. Just looking for help and will keep it in a safe manner as much as possible. All off road with no one around. But would be a lot safer if I didn't have to Jerry Rig.

Appreciate it.

Regards

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't really understand what you are looking for. An option so that Mavic will follow you automatically?
If yes, it's already built-in, called "ActiveTrack" and follows any vehicle or pedestrian visually, without need for a special extra device.
And in addition to competitors the Mavic will keep the object always in the center of the video image.

Magclipper, I know exactly what you are saying. I think it just came across a bit confusing. Here is a great review article comparing the Mavic Pro with the Air Dog 2. The Air Dog 2 is supposedly one of the better aggressive sport self filming drones out there based on a wearable waterproof transmitter and a gimbled GoPro Hero5. It's a very specialized drone that does one thing very well (better than the Mavic) but is extremely limited in most other categories. Another Air Dog 2 competitor is the Staaker Drone

I've been kiteboarding for ages and would love a drone that can self follow at reasonably close range with rapid speed, direction and altitude changes of the target (we jump a lot). Active Track on the Mavic won't come close to dealing with that. You pretty much have to manually fly the Mavic to get good CLOSE UP footage of another kiteboarder (not yourself) during aggressive riding. That can be pretty sketchy with the kite, lines and rider whipping around all over the place in plenty of wind. Of course keeping the drone at higher altitudes and greater distances makes filming much easier but the rider is reduced to a small speck in the frame

Supposedly the Air Dog 2 and Staaker will do a much better job of close up target tracking with the "air leash" transmitter worn by the rider/athlete/target, and they are even designed for simple self filming operation. How well they work in the real world I can't say, but that's the sort of future option I would love to see on the Mavic

Hands-on: Airdog’s new ADII sports-tracking drone

Follow me comparison video test; Mavic and Air Dog

Airdog 2 versus Staaker video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUlJ_0M5DQ8

Last edited:
I have all three, Mavic Pro, Air Dog ADII, & Staaker. The Mavic serves an important purpose in my kit, but it cannot hold a candle to what the other two do for action sports. Here is an example with the ADII:
Air Dog II 3D Line Feature Takes Time to Set-Up:

The only issue is obstacle avoidance. I compensate for that by just flying at an elevation that I am sure is safe. Also, battery life on the ADII is pretty bad. The Staaker on the other hand is not far off from the Mavic in terms of flight time.

I agree with the basic theme of the post... I wish I could get the features of the Mavic along with the tracking ability of the Staaker or ADII.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll