DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will DJI limit drone service for unregistered drones come June 1st? Are there any details on whether info will be shared with TC?

Tino_A

Reactions
I'm curious to know if there are any details on whether or not there will be restrictions put in place with the firmware/software once the date rolls by? I can see a situation where they'll prevent you from flying if you don't enter a valid TC code based on what they have arranged with the government. Also I'm wondering if there's ever been a case where they've passed user data if the drone's been flown past a certain height etc.

I believe the Basic level certification is enough for my use and would consider the advanced once down the road. In the meantime I've always flown responsibly but I don't want to see a $1000 fine for flying 305' one day by accident.

I'm curious to know if there are any details on whether or not there will be restrictions put in place with the firmware/software once the date rolls by? I can see a situation where they'll prevent you from flying if you don't enter a valid TC code based on what they have arranged with the government. Also I'm wondering if there's ever been a case where they've passed user data if the drone's been flown past a certain height etc.

I believe the Basic level certification is enough for my use and would consider the advanced once down the road. In the meantime I've always flown responsibly but I don't want to see a $1000 fine for flying 305' one day by accident.

Your drone does not know if you are flying over open space or up the face of a mountain. I routinely fly up terrain that is hundreds of feet higher than the launch point, never more than 200 feet above the trees. as far as DJI GO4 is aware I am flying 800 feet above my launch point. So altitude information taken from your control app is irrelevant (for practical purposes anyway).

You have an overactive imagination and you are worrying about nothing.

Effective June1, the maximum altitude will be 400' (121m) in Canada so you're fine at 305'!

The 400 altitude ceiling has been in place since I started flying but I see it more and more that some flyers don't know that 400 Feet in the highest you can fly from take off point

I see it more and more that some flyers don't know that 400 Feet in the highest you can fly from take off point
Maybe because it isn't?
The height above launch point is only relevant if you are flying on a pancake-flat prairie.
How far your drone is above the ground below it is what matters.

Reactions: tleedom
Maybe because it isn't?
The height above launch point is only relevant if you are flying on a pancake-flat prairie.
How far your drone is above the ground below it is what matters.
duh what did you think I meant a mountaintop?

The 400 altitude ceiling has been in place since I started flying but I see it more and more that some flyers don't know that 400 Feet in the highest you can fly from take off point
In Canada it's 300' (90m) AGL until June 1 when it goes to 400"AGL. He referenced Transport Canada (TC) so I assumed he was flying in Canada.

duh what did you think I meant a mountaintop?

“Duh?” ?

Meta4 is right- 400 feet directly above the ground where your drone is, regardless of where you’re standing with the controls. Additionally, you can fly up the side of a 1000 foot hill or even a man made tower or building and you can even go 400 feet above the top of that, essentially 1400 feet above the base where you may be standing.

Last edited:
Currently, in Canada you can only fly 300 feet above the ground. The link below has the current rules, (but will probably be deleted after June 31).

So, if you take off to an altitude of 300 feet, then fly towards a hill that is 100 feet higher than your takeoff point, then you can ascend another 100 feet. Your drone will indicate that it is 400 feet higher than its takeoff point, but you will still be legal at 300 feet above the ground.

I suppose if they could install ground ranging radar on the drone that indicated its current height above ground level, it would avoid confusion. But I don't believe such a thing exists in hobby drones.

Last edited:
I suppose if they could install ground ranging radar on the drone that indicated its current height above ground level, it would avoid confusion. But I don't believe such a thing exists in hobby drones.

Putting a radar altimeter in a sUAS can be done and I'm sure there are applications requiring one, but realistically you would need something in a Matrice class airframe to accommodate the increased payload. In our application it would be redundant to the requirement of flight within VLOS.

Putting a radar altimeter in a sUAS can be done and I'm sure there are applications requiring one, but realistically you would need something in a Matrice class airframe to accommodate the increased payload. In our application it would be redundant to the requirement of flight within VLOS.

There was an app Introduced here a while back that allowed you to fly with a topographic map on the screen, it was for android only but the idea was that it used a DEM file (digital elevation model) to show the ground elevation below the drone as you fly, but it did not use the data for flying the drone automatically at a set height AGL yet.

Instead of a radar, a little drone like a Mavic could easily follow a specified height AGL by using a good DEM app on the control program.

Reactions: tleedom

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada