DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will LAANC be available for hobbyists July 23rd?

""I’m not too far off what the FAA wants, why they would open LAANC to rec pilots before a knowledge test is beyond me."

While I agree as things now stand, in a year (or less) the point will be moot. Both LAANC and the test will be in effect.

According to the FAA, more than 820,000 people have registered their drones. This number is about 2 years old. That would be over $4 million supposedly earmarked for things like LAANC implementation which, along with the $150 Part 107 ticket fee, pretty much makes us a self-funded but government regulated "private industry." I put that in quotes because I didn't know how else to describe it.

The $150 fee to take the Part 107 goes to the private contractors running the test. The FAA doesn't see that money.

Reactions: BigAl07
The $150 fee to take the Part 107 goes to the private contractors running the test. The FAA doesn't see that money.
True, but the other side of the coin is the FAA doesn't have to spend its own money, the 107 pilots finance it.

I agree rps have a right to fly, i just don’t agree on where, based on what an rp currently requires (access to a drone and an App Store.) I think a graduated certification system like 61 certs. is needed.

Make all current non-107 operators hobby operators. Have a web based course and test, pass it and you get you rp. I’d even say if you want to take the test without the course, fine, but if you fail the test you can’t retest until you take the course. Obviously the course and test wouldn’t as extensive as a 107. This would minimize the impact on current, knowledgeable and responsible operators, who would be able to test quickly and easily, and with the same cost as a 61 pilot pays for the 107 test- zero.

Don’t want to do that? That’s cool too, just stay in uncontrolled airspace. I think it’s absurd that some 15 year old kid ( or anyone else for that matter)who gets a drone and has internet access will be able to bolt into controlled airspace without any requirement to know anything at all.

I’m not too far off what the FAA wants, why they would open LAANC to rec pilots before a knowledge test is beyond me.
You indicated a 15 yr old, a minor. That’s a valid point in multiple directions, the age of a sUAV Pilot can be 10 or less without supervision. Although a minor of 17 can obtain a pilots license, most younger sUAV Owners probably have a more care-free discipline, and don't view the drone any more legitimate as skateboard, game, etc. Ever been at a park and observe a group of younger flyers "Play" with their drone... it changes hands as rapidly as a video game because to many mindsets, that's basically what a drone is to them.

For the mass, the drone - quad, has become popular due to it's ease of flying & control... and the ability to capture video; a 6 yr old can fly it easily! When it was RC Planes or Heli's there wasn't much concern: it required a lot more focus, dedication to the sport, and resulted in a loss of time & money if error. Might still be some 6 yr old Heli flyers, but they weren't flying toys, they were serious. Did every RC Flyer only fly at RC fields, nope... just not the number or improper use to draw attention. I recall myself or others flying Heli's in our yard & neighborhood often... practicing to improve skills.

Combine open age, ease of flying, with the "small" percentage of sUAV Owners that will abuse the system no matter the regulations... results to media focused and FAA concerns. Like a video game, the human element is removed and that introduces the lack of concern or regard of legal... again, for the small number that are playing with a drone to entertain or challenge.

The focus of discussion as a problem is towards the minority of the sUAV Owners, not the majority. The few idiots have created the concern and drawn the attention of media, that now paint the image that all drone Owners are a threat to society. The same minority of Owners that won't pay attention to regulations... and as mentioned above, enforcement will be minimal due to logistics and politics. Rules prior to purchase, regulations, and a short class won't prevent the behavior if their attitude doesn't recognize the authority in the first place. Motorcyclist take a series of classes or exams to obtain their license... it doesn't stop the few that abuse that either.

That brings it back to the next step normally applied to manage the mass... control the device. Something I'm normally totally against, but I'm more against removing all regulated airspace when many cities that encompass the whole city. I'd rather see software control; create FW updates that limit improper behavior, respects the Geo Fence, limits the altitude. Many things could be performed via software. The number that would hack around the FW is minimal....similar to the number that will construct their own sUAV is now minimal. If outside a classified airspace... relax the restrictions or remove.

For the professional; If valid reason or granted authority, then that opens more flexibility & management of their software.

Regarding test... I think a Web Based initial exam is great! Next problem, how to address the mass of re-sale of drones, that's a problem that isn't ready to address. The PT107 for a commercial level is simplistic for the authorizations it provides, I personally think that should be a more in-depth exam and a competency on-site exam of flight. Actually I think as multiple levels of commercial is established, this will most likely become part of the process for upper commercial levels.

I don't feel any degree of regulations limiting the majority of Owners willing to operate within the regulations within controlled airspace will address the current situation of problem sUAV flying. Since it isn't a manned craft, the craft will need some limitations... and if operating within the regs, no one correctly operating would notice the limitations.

Why the test is not already in place is well beyond me. The 107 test has been in existence for years now and the information recreational pilots need to know can’t be much different. I guess the hold up is probably deciding which money grubbing contractor gets all the cookies.

Thank you FAA for at least opening LAANC to us until the bureaucratic red tape for the knowledge testing comes unglued.

The good thing is that the Rec Pilots that know what they are doing can get legal access to controlled airspace. Those that don’t know will find they have to learn a little to submit a request for LAANC clearance and if they screw up while flying they’ll be held accountable. The rest are going to fly in the face of the rules anyway as they are already doing.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Obviously there are some that don’t care what the rules area, they’ll do what they want regardless.

There are also some that ignore the rules if they think the rules are pointless or don’t apply to them. Give them understanding of the rules and they comply.

There is a group that wants to operate in a responsible manner, but they don’t really know what that means or have an understanding of what the rules are.

The second two groups are who you’re aiming for with training.

Reactions: DoomMeister
...before any training or certification takes place. Require training and actual testing of knowledge before that occurs. Requiring a minimum knowledge level of people using the nas, particularly in controlled airspace is not asking too much.

Ideally there would be levels of certification, just as there are with real pilot certificates. For example, a hobby flyer would require little to no knowledge or training, but wouldn’t be able to operate in controlled airspace. A recreational flyer would have similar privileges to a sport pilot- class e or class d airspace. Then a commercial which would equate to a 107 remote pilot cert now and allow operations in more complex airspace, with authorization, of course.

I agree with your intent, but I can tell you from first hand experience in other federally licensed worlds (FCC, amateur radio specifically) that training/testing does NOT equate in any way to actual applicable or useful knowledge. It definitely doesn't directly cause quality operators to exist either. I'm actually kinda excited to see whatever testing does eventually come out because I want to learn more. Or at least see where I measure up vs. what the airborne world expects of a drone pilot. But I'm under no illusion that it would eliminate the very schmucks you are concerned about.

One quick look at automotive traffic stats should be all it takes to see what I mean. =)

I agree with your intent, but I can tell you from first hand experience in other federally licensed worlds (FCC, amateur radio specifically) that training/testing does NOT equate in any way to actual applicable or useful knowledge. It definitely doesn't directly cause quality operators to exist either. I'm actually kinda excited to see whatever testing does eventually come out because I want to learn more. Or at least see where I measure up vs. what the airborne world expects of a drone pilot. But I'm under no illusion that it would eliminate the very schmucks you are concerned about.

One quick look at automotive traffic stats should be all it takes to see what I mean. =)

I agree, you’ll never eliminate the clowns, I mean “innovators” like the guy in this thread-

But the second two groups of people I mentioned can be helped. And while I’ve never dealt with the FCC beyond getting my Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit, which is simply filling out a form and paying a fee, i can tell you from first hand experience that FAA training requirements are directly applicable and tests useful knowledge.

LAANC for Recreational now active...
As of today... received email notice from Airmap LAANC was operational for Rec Flyers.
I switched over to RP section of Airmap and filled out a request for flight in my Citie's State Capital area... within ATC C 50/SFC airspace.
Came back in about 20 seconds approved... the section was indicated as a 200' and I requested 200'.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78