DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will my Mavic mini one get Remote ID

DJI has not released a Mavic Mini firmware update to enable RID broadcast. If they never release an update, you'll need to attach some kind of RID transmitter if your Mavic Mini does not weigh less than 250 grams or you're flying under Part 107.

I believe that activation of RID on most DJI drones will be buried in the firmware updates. I'm not sure how the Mini 1 may or may not be affected, but most of the drones made after that probably will.

My position at this time is that for my current drones I am done doing updates. I will consider updating firmware and implementing RID on my current drones in the future, but only once I see how it may or may not impact others. I always try to fly within the rules (of flying), but I have many concerns regarding RID, the least of which is the FAA sending me letters.

The Mini 1, 2 and 3 being under 250 grams, flown recreationally is supposed to be absolved of RID, but it appears that that, at least for the Mini 2 and 3, with firmware updates RID will be installed regardless of weight and amateur status.

I believe that activation of RID on most DJI drones will be buried in the firmware updates. I'm not sure how the Mini 1 may or may not be affected, but most of the drones made after that probably will.

My position at this time is that for my current drones I am done doing updates. I will consider updating firmware and implementing RID on my current drones in the future, but only once I see how it may or may not impact others. I always try to fly within the rules (of flying), but I have many concerns regarding RID, the least of which is the FAA sending me letters.

The Mini 1, 2 and 3 being under 250 grams, flown recreationally is supposed to be absolved of RID, but it appears that that, at least for the Mini 2 and 3, with firmware updates RID will be installed regardless of weight and amateur status.
I've got the mini2 and it used to have a setting for RID that went for the Aeroscope but that seems to have been taken away. There is nothing in the settings for RID or anything looking like RID. I also just did a firmware upgrade. but it only said it was for the mini2 user experience...
So once again DJI overwhelms us with too much info... :)
I'm not seeing anything that indicates DJI will be doing RID for the Mini2 or anything further back that that. I'm planning on gifting the mini 2 and getting an M3C to replace it.

I've got the mini2 and it used to have a setting for RID that went for the Aeroscope but that seems to have been taken away. There is nothing in the settings for RID or anything looking like RID. I also just did a firmware upgrade. but it only said it was for the mini2 user experience...
So once again DJI overwhelms us with too much info... :)
I'm not seeing anything that indicates DJI will be doing RID for the Mini2 or anything further back that that. I'm planning on gifting the mini 2 and getting an M3C to replace it.
I'm pretty sure that the Mini 2 will have RID in one of the firmware updates. The M3C may or may not come with RID activated, but am pretty sure that in the future the firmware with RID will be preinstalled. I will purchase a M3 or M3C in the spring once the weather here becomes more conducive to regular flying and it doesn't get dark at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Well if it does then I'm out of luck then and no justifcation to purchase the upgrade... so repeat after me no.. no RID in the software for the mini2... 😉

Reactions: Minipilot14
As others have said, it's very unlikely the OG Mini will be able to update. It's possible, but DJI hasn't mentioned anything.

You can bookmark this and check on it now and again: UAS Declaration of Compliance

Reactions: New England Droning
What about the Mini SE? It should be exempt from RID for recreational, but would a firmware upgrade support RID on that drone?

if your Mavic Mini does not weigh less than 250 grams or you're flying under Part 107.
You won't have to be Part 107 but it will need to be registered, add to the fact that as underpowered as it already is, unless it's a very lightweight system, performance may suffer even further.

What about the Mini SE? It should be exempt from RID for recreational, but would a firmware upgrade support RID on that drone?
Possibly. But, nothing has been released as of today.

You won't have to be Part 107 but it will need to be registered
If not Part 107, it will not need to be registered unless the aircraft is 250+ grams.

I don't think the mini 1 has any of the needed hardware like the m1p does. Outside of a debate of whether you are operating part 107, you don't need the extra weight so as to keep you below 250g.

So far from the list of Drones that are upgrading I haven't seen even the Mini 2, Mini SE or Mini 1 on that list. I wouldn't expect these drones to get RID at all because they are under the 249 grams, and they are older drones. I am betting that they have stopped manufacturing these drones and selling through their inventory that they have left on these. That is the reason we have seen such discounts on the Mini 2 and SE. they are now pushing the Mini 3 and Mini Pro at this time which both will have RID. They are not required to upgrade these drones. If you are flying part 107 you will have to fly with a 3rd party module some how in order to fly legally.

So far from the list of Drones that are upgrading I haven't seen even the Mini 2, Mini SE or Mini 1 on that list. I wouldn't expect these drones to get RID at all because they are under the 249 grams, and they are older drones. I am betting that they have stopped manufacturing these drones and selling through their inventory that they have left on these. That is the reason we have seen such discounts on the Mini 2 and SE. they are now pushing the Mini 3 and Mini Pro at this time which both will have RID. They are not required to upgrade these drones. If you are flying part 107 you will have to fly with a 3rd party module some how in order to fly legally.
This is pretty much what I've been thinking. Even on days when the weather is less than perfect, I take off with the hopes of making money on one of my shots to make my investment worthwhile.
Anybody hear of Snowflake Bently? This is the Jericho Vermont Historical Society and they have the glass plates he captured the first macro images of snowflakes of...
So it looks like a M3 is in my future...
dji_fly_20230318_143108_74_1679164910990_photo_optimized.jpg

This is pretty much what I've been thinking. Even on days when the weather is less than perfect, I take off with the hopes of making money on one of my shots to make my investment worthwhile.
Anybody hear of Snowflake Bently? This is the Jericho Vermont Historical Society and they have the glass plates he captured the first macro images of snowflakes of...
View attachment 161773
Or you could save some money and go for the Air2S which has a real good camera as well. I really don't need to go through the specs of the Air2S with you on here because you can look them up. But I have one and find that it is a great overall drone. If you are willing to spend a lot more on a drone then the M3 will give you a great camera and more features.

View attachment 161773
Nice image! Tack sharp.

Or you could save some money and go for the Air2S which has a real good camera as well. I really don't need to go through the specs of the Air2S with you on here because you can look them up. But I have one and find that it is a great overall drone. If you are willing to spend a lot more on a drone then the M3 will give you a great camera and more features.
The air 2S is a fine machine and a good sensor but since this will be it for a long while, I feel the Hasselblad camera is worth the purchase Whether I get the M3 or the M3C is my next question and this has now gone off topic far enough. No more replies here unless it's around the OPs post on RID for the older mini-series... (2, 1, SE, and original)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa