DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the MA2 operate on Smartphone alone? (no controller)

It doesn't track the phone, you can use the phone as a remote. But, it also has active track - so, use the phone to highlight the object you're tracking, start it off recording - put your phone in your pocket. Also, as others mention it also has gesture control.
When the MA1 is connected to the mobile phone only (i.e. WiFi mode) it is limited to a 100m radius from the Home Point. Upon reaching 100m, it will refuse to move any further. As you can imagine this is rather impractical for any kind of active track. WiFi mode is absolutely rubbish. In Smart Capture (gesture mode) on the other hand, the MA1 has no such range limitations and no home point is established; there is a height limitation (3m if i remember correctly) and a max separation limit (minimum 2m, max 7m from the person being tracked i think). Figures are my recollection, I could be off by some margin.

Reactions: Lastrexking
You can use the Mavic Air V1 with just a phone, and it also has active track. It’s also smaller than V2, so less hassle to carry up a mountain.
The original Mavic Air can also be controlled with no controller at all, which I use a lot. I am really disappointed that Smart Capture of phone only control was left out of the Mini and MA2. It's why I am struggling with the idea of upgrading my MA1 with a MA2. In a separate post, I talk about actually seeing the MA2 as an upgrade to my Spark or Mini because of these two omissions.

When the MA1 is connected to the mobile phone only (i.e. WiFi mode) it is limited to a 100m radius from the Home Point. Upon reaching 100m, it will refuse to move any further. As you can imagine this is rather impractical for any kind of active track. WiFi mode is absolutely rubbish. In Smart Capture (gesture mode) on the other hand, the MA1 has no such range limitations and no home point is established; there is a height limitation (3m if i remember correctly) and a max separation limit (minimum 2m, max 7m from the person being tracked i think). Figures are my recollection, I could be off by some margin.
These numbers sound correct from what I remember which is a bit of a bummer because it's close and can overshoot. On the plus side when it's low over the ground like that it CAN track when you're going downhill using its sensors. When it's higher up it won't, like the MP1.
I remember a skiing video on YT where it followed with Smart Gesture! Be prepared to fire up your remote to connect and bring it back in case it loses you though.

Be prepared to fire up your remote to connect and bring it back in case it loses you though.

This is why I've never used it...

These numbers sound correct from what I remember which is a bit of a bummer because it's close and can overshoot. On the plus side when it's low over the ground like that it CAN track when you're going downhill using its sensors. When it's higher up it won't, like the MP1.
I remember a skiing video on YT where it followed with Smart Gesture! Be prepared to fire up your remote to connect and bring it back in case it loses you though.
It can track both uphill and downhill in smart capture (gesture) mode, I have tested it myself. As for losing you, it does that once in a while (it doesn't do well with sharp turns) but what it does when it loses you is rather smart. It moves to the last spot where the subject was before it was lost, waits for a few seconds (I don't remember how long) to reacquire the subject, and lands there if re acquisition fails. It has never overshot me, although it nearly collided with the rear end of my bike once when I abruptly stopped from about a 10mph speed.

Thanks everyone. As you can imagine this “smart capture” mode is just about exactly what I want.

What sucks is it’s apparently not a feature on the new MA2. I just can’t understand why not?

I can see it not being on the Mini. But the Air2 either?

Is it just Speculation that it’s not a feature on the MA2 or confirmed?

It's not there and having never been mentioned by DJI it's safe to assume it will never be added. Who knows why they abandoned that feature, it was pretty poor on the Spark but excellent on the MA1. Good news you can still buy one !

Thanks everyone. As you can imagine this “smart capture” mode is just about exactly what I want.

What sucks is it’s apparently not a feature on the new MA2. I just can’t understand why not?

I can see it not being on the Mini. But the Air2 either?

Is it just Speculation that it’s not a feature on the MA2 or confirmed?
It's not there and having never been mentioned by DJI it's safe to assume it will never be added. Who knows why they abandoned that feature, it was pretty poor on the Spark but excellent on the MA1. Good news you can still buy one !
Lots going cheap now too.

Used ones ? I don't think I would go with anything else than one with some kind of waranty though, so many things can go wrong on a drone...

Used ones ? I don't think I would go with anything else than one with some kind of waranty though, so many things can go wrong on a drone...
I wouldn’t get used either. But, refurbished prices have dropped. I’m thinking of getting one as a back up (that’s how much I love the original Air).

Reactions: wjkrysak
I have enjoyed several hundred flights on my MA since March 4, 2018 (first flight). It has been a reliable, capable, fun flyer for my nephew and I. Like LastRexKing, I am considering a refurbrished MA as a backup....or buy the MA2. Decisions, decisions. Will bid my time and see what shakes out, when the MA2 is in the hands of the consumer pilots. Enjoy your flying.

I wouldn’t get used either. But, refurbished prices have dropped. I’m thinking of getting one as a back up (that’s how much I love the original Air).
I can't say I'm very impressed by the prices in the DJI Refurb store though in Europe, like 679€ for the MA1 alone...I think there was a the full combo for $699 in the US recently !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor