DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind Turbines

Can we please keep this simple? Will the drone get sucked into the vortex like a helicopter that is on top of another helicopter, both of which are in the air and they crash into each other.

There is a vortex around the blades. Similar to a sideways tornado, Flying through the blades will cause the drone to lose control do to the fact that the wind current within the vortex is faster than the top speed of the drone and will over power the drone and the GPS. We did this at a promotion for a wind farm in Palm Springs CA, we ended to stop the drone 10 feet out from the blades and not go through the blades, we were unable to stop the drone, it was sucked right into the blades. Bye Bye Phantom Pro 4 Plus. it pretty much cut the drone in half.

I don’t do this anymore because a friend told me that the turbines have a bunch of magnets in them. Even if that is bogus I’m fine having checked that box.

I have since taken up FPV drones and I get my thrills with that. Although I won’t be flying through Turbines.

But when I flew through the blades weren’t moving that fast. I parked almost right behind the base of the blade, turned off obstacle avoidance and blasted right through on sport mode 4-5 times.

Sometimes I park 40-50 feet above the top of the blades and it makes a cool video. Never noticed any Instability there.

Reactions: Colberado
I know folks have posted pics and vids here of them...but has anyone taken a shot at flying through one (one that is spinning)?

You can achieve that effect really easy with the Mavic Zoom by flying close to it , and it will look good and scary which is most likely what your going for.

Let the camera do the work.

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear to fly your Mavic.

You can achieve that effect really easy with the Mavic Zoom by flying close to it , and it will look good and scary which is most likely what your going for.

Let the camera do the work.

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear to fly your Mavic.

While I didn't fly through it, I did use the zoom to create an interesting effect in this movie:

This guy crashed his Spark trying to go to the Wind Turbine.

This guy crashed his Spark trying to go to the Wind Turbine.

I don’t see how the failure in that video can be attributed to the turbine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt