DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Windblown pad

Use caution with any weighted object that sticks up above the pad. Your propellers will strike it. Bricks, it seems to me, would not be a good idea. You don't always land in the center of the pad!

For flight like that I use a floor mat from my car. It is a good size and has enough weight that if the mat starts to move it is too windy to be flying .

Reactions: Sunshynff
Today I learned the importance of those loops on the side of my landing pad. I took out my Mini 2, placed it on the pad, and launched. After a few minutes the wind picked up suddenly and started gusting. Not so much that the Mini 2 couldn't hold position, but since I have a bunch of trees, buildings and wires around I brought it down. Just as I started the landing sequence, the wind caught the pad, the pad whacked the Mini 2, and the Mini 2 landed 6 or 8 feet away upside down with one of the legs folded. It reported that the propellers were stopped (accurate). I shut everything down, inspected the props, drone body and gimbal. All intact. So I brought it inside, installed the prop guards, and did an indoor test flight. All good. I was lucky this time. But next time I'll put weights on the pad (which was sitting on my snow covered driveway). I was thinking I could use stakes through the loops, but on frozen ground that wouldn't work so well either. So I guess I'll invest in some bricks or something.
Or you could just hand launch...

Interesting to note some concerns over metal stakes (or screw in pegs) being ferrous and maybe affecting the compass.
I personally have never has an issue with compass vs metal, apart from once . . . I got a warning . . . drone was on a heavy fixed steel tube picnic table in a park, and I was doing a quick wifi download, got a compass warning come up.

Apart from that, nothing in 2 DJI drones (M1P / Spark).
It could be some models are more susceptible ?

Using aluminum pegs should solve this issue, if lightweight pegs or screw ins are an option to consider.
Also, although stainless steel is a ferrous metal, magnets don't stick to them, so not sure but this might be ok to use too, make up some pegs from suitable diameter heavy stainless wire.

Last edited:
My solution to a light weight landing pad getting blown around was to buy a carpet remnant (about 3x2 feet) that has a border. My local hardware store sells them as home entranceway carpets.

I picked a blue one and used white duct tape to place a large plus sign on it. The carpet is heavy enough to stay in place and the two colour tones great for landing. It also fits in my SUV's trunk easily...not so good for when I hike in to a flying site. Then I use the light, foldable one in my M2P backpack.

• Sad
Reactions: Aeolus
Today I learned the importance of those loops on the side of my landing pad. I took out my Mini 2, placed it on the pad, and launched. After a few minutes the wind picked up suddenly and started gusting. Not so much that the Mini 2 couldn't hold position, but since I have a bunch of trees, buildings and wires around I brought it down. Just as I started the landing sequence, the wind caught the pad, the pad whacked the Mini 2, and the Mini 2 landed 6 or 8 feet away upside down with one of the legs folded. It reported that the propellers were stopped (accurate). I shut everything down, inspected the props, drone body and gimbal. All intact. So I brought it inside, installed the prop guards, and did an indoor test flight. All good. I was lucky this time. But next time I'll put weights on the pad (which was sitting on my snow covered driveway). I was thinking I could use stakes through the loops, but on frozen ground that wouldn't work so well either. So I guess I'll invest in some bricks or something.
look into soft dive weights: they are nylon mesh bags filled with lead shot and come in different weights; excellent for keeping stuff stable in wind without having to drive stakes or nails into the ground. I use them for a lot of stuff besides diving, and they are very reasonably priced. Spread around the perimeter of whatever your trying to keep in place, they do no damage and are quite effective.

Best from your local dive shop or online at: Amazon.com : soft dive weights

A you tube video showed that a guy used piece's of chain through the tabs to hold the landing pad

For something as lightweight and harmless as the Mini 2, just learn to launch from, and land on your hand. The props won't even break the skin, which is why it requires no pilot registration with the FAA. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it safely, even with the largest of DJI drones!
For something as lightweight and harmless as the Mini 2, just learn to launch from your hand, and either land on your hand, or hand catch from beneath. The props won't even break the skin, which is why it requires no pilot registration with the FAA. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it safely, even with the largest of DJI drones!

For something as lightweight and harmless as the Mini 2, just learn to launch from, and land on your hand. The props won't even break the skin, which is why it requires no pilot registration with the FAA. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it safely, even with the largest of DJI drones!

For something as lightweight and harmless as the Mini 2, just learn to launch from your hand, and either land on your hand, or hand catch from beneath. The props won't even break the skin, which is why it requires no pilot registration with the FAA. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it safely, even with the largest of DJI drones!
Post is full of misinformation.

1) All UAV pilots must register, regardless what sized drone. You must have a least a TRUST certificate, even with a Mini 2. With sub 250g drones, if recreational you don't need to register the drone itself. Instead you label it with the number assigned to the TRUST certified pilot.
2) Please watch the Pilot Institute video on flying over people. Hand catch may be fine for those who choose to do it, but even a Mini 2 is not "harmless", and that is why it does not qualify out of the box as a class 1 drone for the purpose of flying over people.
3) While not related to takeoffs or landings, it is clear that any sized drone with even a Mini 2 sized battery is dangerous in a high speed collision. See this video for why.

Last edited:

1) All UAV pilots must register, regardless what sized drone. You must have a least a TRUST certificate, even with a Mini 2. With sub 250g drones, if recreational you don't need to register the drone itself. Instead you label it with the number assigned to the TRUST certified pilot.
2) Please watch the Pilot Institute video on flying over people. Hand catch may be fine for those who choose to do it, but even a Mini 2 is not "harmless", and that is why it does not qualify out of the box as a class 1 drone for the purpose of flying over people.
3) While not related to takeoffs or landings, it is clear that any sized drone with even a Mini 2 sized battery is dangerous in a high speed collision. See this video for why.
Really?

1) Please cite your source for #1.
2) The pilot is not prohibited from flying over himself, and I never said to fly it over yourself, just your hand. Nothing prohibits a pilot from hand launching and hand catching. I never suggested flying anything over people. "Harmless," in this case, is relative to the pilot, which is the subject of this thread.
3) Launching and hand catching do not involve any "high speed collisions" unless done incorrectly!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshynff
People really use landing pads? Those flimsy little pieces of nylon? Are they just a visual for you, or does it somehow protect the drone from the ground? Where ya all taking off from, dirt roads and beaches...lol. I keep one in my truck for my racing/freestyle quads cause they pretty much have no legs. But I just snagged one of those linkable kitchen mat squares they were throwing away at work, painted it bright orange and I was done. You can get 6 of them for the same price as a landing pad. I also saw the 2nd picture the other day, for $10 you can't beat that, a fire pit mat, spray paint it whatever bright color you want, definitely won't blow away unless you're trying to fly during a tornado.

Attachments

• 02-08-2022_000810.jpg
    02-08-2022_000810.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 02-08-2022_001216.jpg
    02-08-2022_001216.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Then why does the FAA's website state it 'encourages" people to get their Trust certificate, and no, you ARE NOT required to register a drone under 0.55lbs or 250grams. The problem is, when the get remote ID more settled and underway, you will need that set up enable to fly, and and won't be able to set up your remote ID without a registration number. So everyone that rushed out to get a sub 250g drone, so they don't have to get it registered, will be limited to flying indoors or at a FRIA, if they want to fly legally that is, most will do as they please, as they should. Also, that video of the phantom into the wing of a plane, was three years ago and got shredded to pieces by peer reviews, it was horrible testing and data gathering used. The test wing material was half as thick as a real wing, the drone was launched out of air type cannon with no props on it, for almost point blank. Just another scare tactic by the FAA and those that want to get rid of hobbyist.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Well as much as I have no problem with hand landing or launching, and think Paint Rock Drones is totally wrong, the Mini 2 props will most definitely break the skin and then some, I have had drones much smaller than the mini cut my finger down to the bone, remember, the smaller the props, the faster the evolutions. It also has nothing to do with why you don't have to register it with the FAA, and remember, even though you don't have to register it, if you choose not to, and still want to fly legally you're stuck flying indoors, or at a FRIA.

People really use landing pads? Those flimsy little pieces of nylon? Are they just a visual for you, or does it somehow protect the drone from the ground? Where ya'I all taking off from, dirt roads and beaches...lol. I keep one in my truck for my racing/freestyle quads cause they pretty much have no legs. But I just snagged one of those linkable kitchen mat squares they were throwing away at work, painted it bright orange and I was done. You can get 6 of them for the same price as a landing pad. I also saw the 2nd picture the other day, for $10 you can't beat that, a fire pit mat, spray paint it whatever bright color you want, definitely won't blow away unless you're trying to fly during a tornado.

A piece of carpet works well too, even a decent sized car floor mat.

I think some do use them for precision landing reference, also stops debris blowing up on take off . landing, or grass etc possibly being an issue.
Personally, If I can't take off or land on a nice spot to not be a problem, hand launching and catching is so easy once used to it.

Then why does the FAA's website state it 'encourages" people to get their Trust certificate, and no, you ARE NOT required to register a drone under 0.55lbs or 250grams. The problem is, when the get remote ID more settled and underway, you will need that set up enable to fly, and and won't be able to set up your remote ID without a registration number. So everyone that rushed out to get a sub 250g drone, so they don't have to get it registered, will be limited to flying indoors or at a FRIA, if they want to fly legally that is, most will do as they please, as they should. Also, that video of the phantom into the wing of a plane, was three years ago and got shredded to pieces by peer reviews, it was horrible testing and data gathering used. The test wing material was half as thick as a real wing, the drone was launched out of air type cannon with no props on it, for almost point blank. Just another scare tactic by the FAA and those that want to get rid of hobbyist.
You are right, you don't need to register a sub 250g drone. That's what I said in my post. But you do need to label it.

TRUST is absolutely required for recreational fliers. I don't know where you get the idea it is "encouraged". Here's the text from the FAA web site:

"All recreational flyers must pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test and provide proof of test passage (the TRUST completion certificate) to the FAA or law enforcement upon request. The FAA's 2018 Reauthorization Bill (PDF) introduced new requirements for recreational pilots (see P.L. 115-254, Section 349 (PDF) – exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft)."

You can fly whatever you like indoors. But in the US, you need either a TRUST or a Part 107 if you are going to fly outdoors.

You are right, you don't need to register a sub 250g drone. That's what I said in my post. But you do need to label it.

TRUST is absolutely required for recreational fliers. I don't know where you get the idea it is "encouraged". Here's the text from the FAA web site:

"All recreational flyers must pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test and provide proof of test passage (the TRUST completion certificate) to the FAA or law enforcement upon request. The FAA's 2018 Reauthorization Bill (PDF) introduced new requirements for recreational pilots (see P.L. 115-254, Section 349 (PDF) – exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft)."

You can fly whatever you like indoors. But in the US, you need either a TRUST or a Part 107 if you are going to fly outdoors.
You DON'T NEED to label your <250g drone or any other drone with your TRUST certificate. You have to register your >250g drone with the FAA and label it with your registration number. You must have in your possession your TRUST certificate and if your drone is >250g you also have to have your FAA registration while flying under Recreational

Really?

1) Please cite your source for #1.
2) The pilot is not prohibited from flying over himself, and I never said to fly it over yourself, just your hand. Nothing prohibits a pilot from hand launching and hand catching. I never suggested flying anything over people. "Harmless," in this case, is relative to the pilot, which is the subject of this thread.
3) Launching and hand catching do not involve any "high speed collisions" unless done incorrectly!
1) I did. Follow the link
2) Agreed. I'm not saying there is any problem with hand catching. I just choose not to do it.
3) Agreed. I objected to the statement that the Mini 2 is "harmless". It isn't dangerous if you fly safely. I drive my car regularly; that does not mean that I consider the car "harmless".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji