DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Windblown pad

A piece of carpet works well too, even a decent sized car floor mat.

I think some do use them for precision landing reference, also stops debris blowing up on take off . landing, or grass etc possibly being an issue.
Personally, If I can't take off or land on a nice spot to not be a problem, hand launching and catching is so easy once used to it.
Exactly. I keep the "flimsy" pad in my Mini 2 bag in case I want to launch from grass or a dusty sidewalk. If I'm planning ahead better, I take a heavier pad that doesn't fit in my small Mini 2 bag. It hadn't occurred to me that I could use the car mat; I usually have a car handy.

Hand launching/catching would also solve the problem, but I'm not comfortable being that close to fast moving propellers when I don't need to, especially if there are any wind gusts (personal decision, I'm not suggesting it's a bad idea for anyone else). I'm old enough to have "hand started" a Piper Tripacer with a weak battery (4 seat aircraft with a single 150 HP engine). So I'm not in principle objecting to being near spinning and potentially hazardous props. If I thought hand launching/catching was the only option I would learn to do it.

In case anyone is wondering, I went with sand filled PVC pipes as weights. They have the added benefit of being fine defensive weapons in case of any hostile anti-droners appearing :)

1) I did. Follow the link
2) Agreed. I'm not saying there is any problem with hand catching. I just choose not to do it.
3) Agreed. I objected to the statement that the Mini 2 is "harmless". It isn't dangerous if you fly safely. I drive my car regularly; that does not mean that I consider the car "harmless".
Actually your first point has been completely contradicted by everyone else, and your own link contradicts your assertion. No UAV pilot needs to register themselves for flying a sub 250g UAV recreationally. There is also no requirement whatsoever that you label a sub 250g drone with anything, when flying recreationally! !

There is no "number" assigned to a TRUST certified pilot of a sub 250g drone. After completing the TRUST Safety Test, only only receives a TRUST Completion Certificate with an Authentication Token!

I'll wait for your apology for FALSELY accusing me of spreading false information, when it is YOU who is doing so! :rolleyes:

"1) All UAV pilots must register, regardless what sized drone. You must have a least a TRUST certificate, even with a Mini 2. With sub 250g drones, if recreational you don't need to register the drone itself. Instead you label it with the number assigned to the TRUST certified pilot."

I made one mis-statement: "Instead you label it with the number assigned to the TRUST certified pilot." I apologize for that. It is not necessary to register or label a sub 250g drone.

I stand by my other observations. The statement "which is why it requires no pilot registration with the FAA." (bolding is mine) is incorrect. All pilots in the US need a TRUST certificate or a Part 107 certificate to fly outside regardless of the weight of the drone they are flying.

This pad is AWESOME. It‘s weighted, so no fiddling around with stakes or weights. It’s made of very durable material, and larger than the smaller pads so you have plenty of area to land. I’ve been using it for a while now and it has never blown away, even in pretty windy conditions. It’s expensive, yes, but WELL worth it IMO.

Today I learned the importance of those loops on the side of my landing pad. I took out my Mini 2, placed it on the pad, and launched. After a few minutes the wind picked up suddenly and started gusting. Not so much that the Mini 2 couldn't hold position, but since I have a bunch of trees, buildings and wires around I brought it down. Just as I started the landing sequence, the wind caught the pad, the pad whacked the Mini 2, and the Mini 2 landed 6 or 8 feet away upside down with one of the legs folded. It reported that the propellers were stopped (accurate). I shut everything down, inspected the props, drone body and gimbal. All intact. So I brought it inside, installed the prop guards, and did an indoor test flight. All good. I was lucky this time. But next time I'll put weights on the pad (which was sitting on my snow covered driveway). I was thinking I could use stakes through the loops, but on frozen ground that wouldn't work so well either. So I guess I'll invest in some bricks or something.
I was fed up with landing pad being blown away so cut a square of cushion floor and I now use that, it is light enough to Cary but heavy enough for it not to move and it’s waterproof so it can sit on wet grass with no damage, cheers Len

I use 1 pound fishing weights.
I tried 2 pound weights, but they were overkill. You can find them on eBay.
I use small carabiners, with the weights zip tied to them.
That way, I can quickly take them off the pad, and store them in the bag.

Today I learned the importance of those loops on the side of my landing pad. I took out my Mini 2, placed it on the pad, and launched. After a few minutes the wind picked up suddenly and started gusting. Not so much that the Mini 2 couldn't hold position, but since I have a bunch of trees, buildings and wires around I brought it down. Just as I started the landing sequence, the wind caught the pad, the pad whacked the Mini 2, and the Mini 2 landed 6 or 8 feet away upside down with one of the legs folded. It reported that the propellers were stopped (accurate). I shut everything down, inspected the props, drone body and gimbal. All intact. So I brought it inside, installed the prop guards, and did an indoor test flight. All good. I was lucky this time. But next time I'll put weights on the pad (which was sitting on my snow covered driveway). I was thinking I could use stakes through the loops, but on frozen ground that wouldn't work so well either. So I guess I'll invest in some bricks or something.

Consider attaching Fishing Weights with Snap Swivels to your Landing Pad. The Snap Swivels can be attached permanently and the weights can be attached as need using the snaps. The fishing weights come in sizes from grams up to pounds and the Snap Swivels also come in many sizes from fractions of an inch up to several inches long (salt water fishing…). You just do not want something too large (brick???) that can interfere with spinning props. The lead weights would lie flat and would not get in the way of the drone.

weights.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest