DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Windiest City in the Nation

stevie gee

Reactions
Amarillo Texas is one of the 3 top windiest cities in the nation. When I moved here I couldn’t find one drone club. Then I called the city to ask about local laws. None. They acted like they didn’t know what I was talking about. Reality sinks in. Now I have an app called Windy.app which pretty much tells me that every day it’s too windy to fly. I basically have a $1000 wall ornament. There’s some topography here such as Palo Duro Canyon state park. Formed durring the Mesozoic era in the Terrasic period. It extends over 100 miles. Beautiful.

Hello from the Crossroads of America stevie gee.

The windy.com app is pretty cool.

You might try an early morning flight when the wind might not be blowing as much.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Amarillo Texas is one of the 3 top windiest cities in the nation. When I moved here I couldn’t find one drone club. Then I called the city to ask about local laws. None. They acted like they didn’t know what I was talking about. Reality sinks in. Now I have an app called Windy.app which pretty much tells me that every day it’s too windy to fly. I basically have a $1000 wall ornament. There’s some topography here such as Palo Duro Canyon state park. Formed durring the Mesozoic era in the Terrasic period. It extends over 100 miles. Beautiful.
Unless you have 40 mph winds that are stable you should be able to fly. There is a learning curve but its not impossible and I think you will be amazed at how well the video comes out and some pictures.

Start by completing a 15 hover in 15 mph winds so you an learn how the drone reacts and more importantly to gain confidence in the Drone , once you get a feel for that you can adjust your flight time to accommodate the wind.

Well seasoned Pilots can use the Wind to fly into and fly back with taking there battery as low as 39% to come back home, not recommended but it gives you an idea as to what is possible.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm

Welcome to MP @stevie gee!! Glad to have you.
Windy is a good app.
Take a look @ UAV Forecast. It shows a lot of info (wind, gusts, temp, Satellites visibility, etc.) What I like about it is you can set the threshold limits. (EXAMPLE: You can say you don't to fly in winds higher that 20. If the wind is higher, it will tell you it's not good to fly. You can set limits @ different altitudes also.)
I do agree with others you should be able to fly some. It may use up the battery faster, but you are still getting some air time. And...ever once in awhile, do a road trip.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Unless you have 40 mph winds that are stable you should be able to fly. There is a learning curve but its not impossible and I think you will be amazed at how well the video comes out and some pictures.

Start by completing a 15 hover in 15 mph winds so you an learn how the drone reacts and more importantly to gain confidence in the Drone , once you get a feel for that you can adjust your flight time to accommodate the wind.

Well seasoned Pilots can use the Wind to fly into and fly back with taking there battery as low as 39% to come back home, not recommended but it gives you an idea as to what is possible.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm
I flew in the wind today and my air 2 performed ok. Only thing I noticed is that it was scorching hot when it came back and I only flew a total of 15 minutes if that. I’m so afraid of losing this drone because it’s the most expensive I’ve ever had. I have the DJI insurance but still get the nerves.

I flew in the wind today and my air 2 performed ok. Only thing I noticed is that it was scorching hot when it came back and I only flew a total of 15 minutes if that. I’m so afraid of losing this drone because it’s the most expensive I’ve ever had. I have the DJI insurance but still get the nerves.
Nerves are normal. I think they keep us sharp and more aware. I've only had drones for a couple of years. Still nervous about doing something wrong. I try to focus on the enjoyment part.

Welcome to the MavicPilots forum. Enjoy, and happy flying! ??

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Hello. I have also been looking for a drone club of some sort in Amarillo. not much luck however. Would be interested in flying sometime if you are up to it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato