DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Windiest City in the Nation

In Amarillo, the wind on the surface may not be the same as the wind up a few hundred feet. I had a small plane for a while and there can be significant shifts in the wind direction and speed. If you can see the power plants north of town look at the cloudy vaper coming out. You can see it suddenly shift at certain altitudes. . On some windy days, it is pretty amazing to look at. As far as flying around here the Rick Husband airport is pretty much-forbidden territory. It's Class C restricted airspace all the way to the ground. My Mavic Air 2 will not let me fly there.

Probably should be careful around Tradewinds. Be especially careful around Northwest Texas Hospital and BSA. There is a lot of helicopter traffic around there and there would be some pretty hard feelings if you hit one. Other than that you should be okay.

In Amarillo, the wind on the surface may not be the same as the wind up a few hundred feet. I had a small plane for a while and there can be significant shifts in the wind direction and speed. If you can see the power plants north of town look at the cloudy vaper coming out. You can see it suddenly shift at certain altitudes. . On some windy days, it is pretty amazing to look at. As far as flying around here the Rick Husband airport is pretty much-forbidden territory. It's Class C restricted airspace all the way to the ground. My Mavic Air 2 will not let me fly there.

Probably should be careful around Tradewinds. Be especially careful around Northwest Texas Hospital and BSA. There is a lot of helicopter traffic around there and there would be some pretty hard feelings if you hit one. Other than that you should be okay.
Why aren’t there any drone clubs in this area?

Reactions: Hauptmann
The MA 2 controller says the BSA NWTH ZONE is ok to fly, BUT, I had one scary minute where I got an aircraft approaching warning & ONLY 30 seconds later here comes a helicopter. I wasn’t in their flight path and only 50’ up, but things could have been worse. Medi park lakes are great to fly over & practice cine shots.
I just moved here from Dallas 🥲I’ve been looking for a dronies club to meet up outside of town and find scenic places to fly.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to our forum, Stevie, from Hauptmann, Hurst, Texas!

Don't you love the flexibility of vantage points an aerial camera platform affords--we get shots and videos we could only dream of before! I fly a Mavic 2 Pro now, but will soon add a Mini 3 Pro to my “fleet”.

I've flown in winds which were peeling shingles off roofs nearby. What did I do? Took off upwind. I had a mission that day, so I had no choice but to fly. Worked out fine. Got back safely with no fuss and no damage. A Delta pilot who was out walking his dog remarked how stable my Mavic was in such wind. GPS lock does wonders!

We have over 150,000 members—including several from Amarillo--who enjoy helping each other get the most out of our hobby. Most of the questions you'll have will’ve already been addressed, and are easy to search. If you have NEW questions, just ask!

Glad to have you with us!
Rich R (aka Hauptmann)

Reactions: GFields and MA2 317
Several members wrote that they were in Amarillo, but when I checked the Members Map; 'lo 'n behold, no pins in or around Amarillo…

Actually I though El Paso was the windiest, but Google says it's Amarillo… The wife and I RV'd across the US years ago and we stayed at Fort Bliss. The winds coming off the Franklin Mountains was strong enough to lift the RV off the jack stands. My wife did not think me saying that, "No bodies coming a knocking while the RV's a rockin'…" was very funny and she insisted that we sleep in the Rec Center.

Many newspapers will run free advertisements for community events and someone trying to create a Drone Club should be able to qualify, Additionally, the school giving the drone lessons should have a new list of alumni that the school might be willing to notify that there is an interest in forming a club. That would drum up interest in their courses as the interest grows…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143