DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Working with 4K video

DanMc

Reactions
I sent my Mavic Air up for the second time today and took a look at the 4K video on the SD card. When I play the .MOV files using Windows Media Player, it's super glitchy. If I play it with Windows Live Movie Maker, it's not glitchy, but it plays about two frames per second and seems to get lost after a while.

So forgive me for asking such a basic question, but what do you use for working with these videos? And maybe I'm creating headaches for myself recording in 4K when 1080 should be just fine with any of the devices I have.

Finally, should I use MP4 instead of MOV?

Comments?
Thanks
Dan

Reactions: EyeInStein
I sent my Mavic Air up for the second time today and took a look at the 4K video on the SD card. When I play the .MOV files using Windows Media Player, it's super glitchy. If I play it with Windows Live Movie Maker, it's not glitchy, but it plays about two frames per second and seems to get lost after a while.

So forgive me for asking such a basic question, but what do you use for working with these videos? And maybe I'm creating headaches for myself recording in 4K when 1080 should be just fine with any of the devices I have.

Comments?
Thanks
Dan
I've not experienced anything like that before but it sounds like the issue is with your PC more so than the video files.

Either that or the SD card perhaps didn't have a good enough write speed? That wouldn't be the case if it was the one that came with the air though.

Try VLC video player see if that is any better.

MOV usually for mac. MP4 for windows.
Also make sure your PC video card, processor and RAM are good enough to process 4K.

If you own a good 4K monitor/tv enjoy 4K why not. To be honest before any editing I download all 4K footage to usb dongle and play it directly on my 4k curved sammy. Helps me to decide which segments to use in editing.
If you dont own 4K than 1080 is good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: simbaboy
Thanks for the feedback. I was playing the 4K file on my laptop. It just couldn’t do it. Initially I thought I might have a bad drone, but after trying another program I could see it was the PC creating the problems. My son is into gaming and just got a new PC. I’ll see how it plays on his machine. Mov for Apple, MP4 for Windows. Got it.

Also make sure you copy the file off of the memory card to your hard drive before playing it. Playing the file off your memory card reader can slow it down too.

4K video looks amazing on my 4K TV.
It does stutter big time on my 2010 Macbook Pro--1080P is not any better.

Newbie question - any recommendations of inexpensive video editing software for PC - I don’t need 4K editing

Thanks

MOV usually for mac. MP4 for windows.
Also make sure your PC video card, processor and RAM are good enough to process 4K.

If you own a good 4K monitor/tv enjoy 4K why not. To be honest before any editing I download all 4K footage to usb dongle and play it directly on my 4k curved sammy. Helps me to decide which segments to use in editing.
If you dont own 4K than 1080 is good enough.
Is a dongle the same as a memory stick?

"Mov for Apple, MP4 for Windows."
That's the guideline but MOV will work on a PC in many cases.
And MP4 will be fine on a Mac too.

This stopped being a problem 6 or so years ago so unless you're using antique software from before that you'll be good.

Newbie question - any recommendations of inexpensive video editing software for PC - I don’t need 4K editing

Thanks
I'm using the free version of Davinci Resolve...it's a handful, but after watching a bunch of youtube vids on it, it's manageable. Barely scratching the surface and still benefiting from the program.

Comments?
Thanks
Dan

Simply sounds like your computer does not have the processing power to play to smoothly. Not much you can do, get a new computer or shoot in 1080

I'm using the free version of Davinci Resolve...it's a handful, but after watching a bunch of youtube vids on it, it's manageable. Barely scratching the surface and still benefiting from the program.
I’m using Resolve too, more as a personal and professional challenge to see if it is easier or can do things that FCP or Adobe can’t. Day two using and reading the manual and it looks pretty good on my circa 2013 MacBook Pro .

It does stutter with 4K though, until you ‘Create optimised media’ then it’s all sweet. I have been doubtful about 4K but when I saw my M2Z footage of grass and trees and water, yeah, it’s pretty special. I record in D-cinelike then apply a ‘film like’ LUT, like one of the 709 styles and it comes up a treat, without relying too much on the in-camera processing to richen up the colours, sharpness etc.

My first OTS drone having made half a dozen or so 3DR sourced ones and blown away by how stable it is. Sometimes I think the footage has frozen in the editor then realise it is just the drone had stopped - rock solid, even in a firm breeze.

The quandary I now find is where to shoot legally around Adelaide?!

Is a dongle the same as a memory stick?
Dongle, thumb drive, memory stick, flash drive, all the same under the context of the conversation.

Memory stick in general could mean memory modules installed in PCs for its RAM but that wouldn't fit in this discussion.

So.... My video that looked like a corrupt tangle on my laptop (a Dell E5530), plays flawlessly on my sons new gaming computer. The footage that I captured is positively amazing, and viewed on a true 4K screen, it must be incredible.

Reactions: simbaboy
I downloaded VLC player and with my old cranky laptop am able to at least step through the frames snagged by a 4K video I shot up at our place in NH. This is a screen grab from that video. If I can get this kind of still image from a video, then a snapshot taken from the Mavic Air must be amazing.

Too bad my stupid iPhone battery died during this flight. This part of the video is most likely from when I was flying it by sight only, in preparation for landing. Not bad for my 3rd flight with this little guy. Cabin1.jpg

I downloaded VLC player and with my old cranky laptop am able to at least step through the frames snagged by a 4K video I shot up at our place in NH. This is a screen grab from that video. If I can get this kind of still image from a video, then a snapshot taken from the Mavic Air must be amazing.

Too bad my stupid iPhone battery died during this flight. This part of the video is most likely from when I was flying it by sight only, in preparation for landing. Not bad for my 3rd flight with this little guy. View attachment 53559

Nice shack there. Looks like your solar panels might need a slow low flyby to blow away that snow!

Reactions: WildHarleyGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD