DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would this be a good idea for editing?

Motomike117

Reactions
Hello all. Apparently I stepped on someone's toes by asking this question in a thread that they started. My deepest apologies. Anyway I'm upgrading from my mini SE to an air2s. I plan on turning my hobby into a business one day, which is why I am in college for digital media technology. I'm still finishing my core classes but on Monday I start my first digital photography class. I've searched the internet for hours while in the hospital this past week, and it just seems like you get millions of different answers so I thought I would ask a real human. Would this laptop be a good idea and be able to handle 4K videos as far as editing and what not? Also, do you need a 4k monitor to edit 4K videos? And if so can I just go HDMI to my 4K TV? I plan on doing real estate and eventually ceremonies and even possibly mapping. Sorry if this is a total noob question but I've been riding motorcycles since I was a kid and on those forums, when a noob asks a question, that's that guy u should help so that you can get to where you are. that you need to help. If I'm in the wrong place that's cool just let me know. Oh I'm sorry I forgot to add that this kind of caught my eye as I do enjoy an hour or two, if I can get them out of a day to get some pubg or DCS in.

Your title says tablet but you only talk about a laptop. In case your interested in a tablet I edit 4K video on my iPad Pro with no issues. A caveat, I only edit with mp4 files and have not tried raw.

Your title says tablet but you only talk about a laptop. In case your interested in a tablet I edit 4K video on my iPad Pro with no issues. A caveat, I only edit with mp4 files and have not tried raw.
Thanks for the response man and sorry I meant laptop. I'm more of a surfer/gearhead and just getting into tech stuff. My worry is that Apple products are going to be so much different that it's just going to make everything more confusing?

LOL I know that's a completely unprofessional picture but that was me having fun with my mini SE on one of my first flights. I couldn't find the original file because I just dumped all my data but that's a screenshot and I was using the firehouse arc xl strobe. That thing is awesome you can see it forever... I also realized that I should have had my mini SE registered because I went a few grams over 249 using that strobe so I guess the FAA is about to bust my door down. But in all seriousness, I'm about to use the pilot institute to get my part 107. I also use several apps now to make sure that I'm doing things legally and safely.

So apparently I stepped on someone else's toes by throwing this into their thread about laptops. So my deepest apologies and condolences. I come from a Motocross and street bike background where we help the new people instead of start some kind of Internet territorial grudge over a thread. Anyway LOL. I have a mini SE and about to upgrade to an air 2S. FedEx lost my laptop and won't take responsibility, but it wouldn't have worked with editing like this anyway. I'm wondering if this laptop would be a good idea for when I turn my hobby into a business, considering if I can find an hour or two in to get my pubg or whatever in, I take it... I start my first digital media technology classes on Monday now that I've finished my core classes or at least most of them LOL. Oh and also, do I need a 4k monitor on my laptop to edit 4K video?
Your message is a little difficult to completely understand what you're asking, but I'll give it a go. Correct me if I am translating your intent different than you meant

You want a computer/laptop ultimately for 4k video editing, no? It's hobby that will possibly become a business, and you are or will be taking classes, right? If I have it, here is what I think.

IMO experience (35 years+) Buy"forward", don't buy present. You can already see you have an SE and in short time will have an Air2s (I did the same thing with a Mini 1 and 4 weeks later bought an M2P). Technology and the demand for higher power hardware will always move forward with higher and higher demands.

Research and knowledge can help you keep costs down and find bargains. I happen to like Micro Center a lot and have twice bought "refurbished" and or "open box" gear from them with no regrets. I think one of the best computer stores around and fortunately in my area so I can go into the store.

In my case, I HATE working off a laptop screen, probably due to age. Right now I'm on my latest laptop purchase, but hooked up to a 27" monitor, separate keyboard and mouse. No difference in screen appearance of operation than my desktop to the right of me. $1100 last July bought me an absolute gem. Specs posted below. I know I would have spent $2k had I gone with another brand, which I pretty nearly did, and spent the $2k.

I think there is a similar opportunity that I found. [see picture below and link]

Yes, its a refurb, but it has a warranty and Micro Center will stand behind it. $1200 and you get a laptop with 32gb ram, an RTX 2060 GPU w 8gb ram and 1TB SSD. Something like this will run 4k editing just fine and has similar specs as my laptop listed below. The only thing is that the laptop screen itself probably isn't 4k, but I'd recommend a larger 4k monitor anyway. ASUS Rog Laptop link I'm sure you can find similar or perhaps better computers that will suit your needs. If you want to go with Apple their computers with M1 chips do just fine, especially with editors like DaVinci Resolve, highly recommended for people who have ambitions in editing (and the "standard" version is FREE).

My philosophy is that when there is something that you need, spend the money on what will make you happy, not so much save you money. I've found that when I got what I needed I never regretted it and forgot about the money 30 minutes after I wrote the check. When I got what saved me money I often regretted that decision for years. JMO.

Good luck
1651798871949.png

1651798631632.png

The Alienware Ryzen would work. In another thread I sent you an alternative with more RAM a larger hard drive, but an ever so slightly less robust GPU.

One thing that folks don't look for, but isn't so important if you connect to a large monitor is the resolution of the laptop screen. Most are NOT 4k but not a big deal in 13"-15 inch sizes. Because I would be away for a month I did get a 4k LED screen for my laptop. The downside of that is that it eats power and limits battery duration to about 3hrs. The Alienware laptop screen res is Display 15.6", FHD 1920x1080, 165Hz, Non-Touch, 3ms. Still pretty good.

FWIW my desktop is an Alienware Aurora R7 with ram maxed out at 48gb and three SSD's. Alienware is a good Dell product, but also have a look at HP and ASUS. I found the Alienware laptops a bit higher priced than others, maybe because of the name, reputation and following. However the Dell customer service is top notch. Whatever you buy, it never hurts to max out the ram if you're doing video.

Reactions: Motomike117
Duplicate threads MERGED

Allen

@vindibona1 has some good advice.

I would never consider working long-term on a laptop. Whether it's work or personal, I use my laptop as a second monitor. The main display is a Samsung LU28R55 4K monitor. I love it.
I agree. You actually NEED screen real estate to edit as there are a lot of things to be working with simultaneously and working with two or more screens does make life easier.

My set up is a mediocre PC running three screens. One screen is for a full screen preview as you can't tell what the final edit will look like from a small window. I have the timeline and edit controls on another screen and screen 3 is the effects panel and clips library. I really can't imagine working on a laptop. Personal choice - other methods of working are available :)

@vindibona1 has some good advice.

I would never consider working long-term on a laptop. Whether it's work or personal, I use my laptop as a second monitor. The main display is a Samsung LU28R55 4K monitor. I love it.
Thanks for including the Samsung model number that you really like. Would like another large 4k monitor, but there are so many out there. Your Samsung seems like it's reasonably priced and as you know monitor prices are all over the place.

I have a 2016 Toshiba Satellite laptop. It was pretty good at the time: 16 GB memory, 2 TB HDD, 1080x1920 display running Widows 10 pro. But, I hate laptop keyboards and display so for desk work I use a Logitech wireless keyboard. For display it's hooked up to an old Samsung HD display. I added a 5t USB HDD for my drone videos.
For editing I use ShotCut and it works fine for editing my 4K videos which get exported at 4K.
So, your laptop doesn't need to be perfect but it does need to fit your needs; focusing in your needs it what is important not using price as a criterion where you don't get what you need for the jobs.

If it's your requirement that the laptop will play 4K videos smoothly, that seems to be a good place to start for minimum requirement. Mine will not play 4K smoothly but that's OK as I can create 4K for YouTube. If I do need to play on my laptop I just export a second copy at 1080p.

Thanks for including the Samsung model number that you really like. Would like another large 4k monitor, but there are so many out there. Your Samsung seems like it's reasonably priced and as you know monitor prices are all over the place.
I've been very happy with it. I was a little worried since it's only 28" which wasn't a big upgrade from the 27" Acer I had, but in 4K it's the perfect size. It doesn't eat up a lot of desktop real estate and it's got a great picture.

I've been very happy with it. I was a little worried since it's only 28" which wasn't a big upgrade from the 27" Acer I had, but in 4K it's the perfect size. It doesn't eat up a lot of desktop real estate and it's got a great picture.
I've got three 27" monitors on my desk, but two aren't UHD. 1920x1080. Still acceptable for editing, but missing the full affect. It's probably time to upgrade before a $350 monitors are $500.

@Motomike117 what are they using in your digital media tech program?

I’d think you’ll want to know what they are recommending for students, because that’s where you might be getting a lot of formal and informal support.

Drones and modern camcorders are recording at 4k. There’s nothing unique about drone recordings that you would choose a different computer than you would for DSLR / camcorder footage.

@Motomike117 what are they using in your digital media tech program?
Great question Mike.
If I had to guess, for video it would be Premier. Adobe has always discounted and helped out institutions (like Apple has all these years) so it would stand to reason that Adobe products would be used. Great promotion for Adobe who would love a chance to collect monthly subscription fees from folks just coming out of tech class. Not that Premier and Photoshop aren't good, even great programs. I just have a thing about subscription schemes, especially when other equal or better alternatives are available. That's just me. If Adobe charged more than $10/mo for my Photoshop subscription, I'd be gone after using PS for 22 years. I still like CS3 better than the newer versions even if it doesn't have magic AI functions.

Hello all. Apparently I stepped on someone's toes by asking this question in a thread that they started. My deepest apologies. Anyway I'm upgrading from my mini SE to an air2s. I plan on turning my hobby into a business one day, which is why I am in college for digital media technology. I'm still finishing my core classes but on Monday I start my first digital photography class. I've searched the internet for hours while in the hospital this past week, and it just seems like you get millions of different answers so I thought I would ask a real human. Would this laptop be a good idea and be able to handle 4K videos as far as editing and what not? Also, do you need a 4k monitor to edit 4K videos? And if so can I just go HDMI to my 4K TV? I plan on doing real estate and eventually ceremonies and even possibly mapping. Sorry if this is a total noob question but I've been riding motorcycles since I was a kid and on those forums, when a noob asks a question, that's that guy u should help so that you can get to where you are. that you need to help. If I'm in the wrong place that's cool just let me know. Oh I'm sorry I forgot to add that this kind of caught my eye as I do enjoy an hour or two, if I can get them out of a day to get some pubg or DCS in.

From my experience I edit my videos from an iPad and they will still display in 4K on YouTube as long as you export them that way. If you use iMovie on a laptop the video will still export in full quality. Hope this helps!

Even if you hate apple, the cheapest M1 MacBook Air can edit 8K video, with passive cooling and without breaking a sweat. The display is perfectly calibrated as well

a tv can be used, but, it needs to be Color accurate. Sony is in custom/expert mode, other television may be as well!

Lots of useful info here on PC’s. You‘ve reached out to a great brain trust.

I don’t know the PC world, so I will add my $0.02 in the Mac realm. All Apple laptops come with iMovie and you can upgrade to Final Cut or Premiere (Adobe) if you need more professional editing tools. iMovie is very powerful, and there are some great YouTube videos from MacMost that helps add professional effects to it. The Mac is a great all in one solution. With an external monitor, mouse and keyboard, it is a veritable desktop with the M1 chip.

That said, agnostic computer purchase advice here (PC or Mac):
  • Buy as much RAM as you can in whatever box you get.
  • Get at least 1 TB internal hard drive, you’ll need the room for video. I have a 2 TB internal drive on my main editing computer and an 8 TB external drive. I have 4 TB of images and videos accumulated thus far.
  • Get reliable cloud storage for backup and to offload the hard drive when you fill it up. Backup is essential — your primary source data is irreplaceable. Some cloud services make your data available for editing everywhere. I personally use Adode Creative Cloud and iCloud.
  • External drives — at least one external drive that is double the size of your internal drive (see above)

Best of luck in your endeavor and enjoy the ride.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2