DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a M2P now with remote id on distant horizon?

There will be add on modules to retrofit older drones without built in hardware for remote ID. It’s still many months away. If you need a drone to fly I wouldn’t hesitate to get an M2P. The refurbished route is a great suggestion.

Reactions: Mitch
What will happen if you fly without this ID system installed? To my mind it would be no different to riding a motorbike with no numberplate.

Reactions: Kamau54
The problem is that we know nothing about how the ID is going to be implemented.

Actually we know quite a bit. Read our articles. Newsroom – Drone Service Providers Alliance
It could be as simple as and RFID sticker that can be scanned from miles away and if that is the case it's not going to be a big dramatic deal.

There will be no RFID. Information packets will be broadcast via wifi or bluetooth from the drone itself.
Because most drones cannot carry that much weight I cant imagine it being any more elaborate that that.
The modules will be very small. It will not be a problem with most drones.

Now if DJI starts to discount there drones more than the Pathetic 5% , than I would start to worry.

Even the Stock UAVS dropped a few points on the news but quickly recovered and than moved up.

There is also the possibility that the drone prices go up because of this, you just never know.
On the margin they will probably go up. But not by much.

So that distant horizon is clearly in the fog and could be for a very long time...

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain.

Nothing much to get worked up about - it just means your drone will appear as a blip on any control tower radar, or aircraft radar that you are in range of - alongside that blip will be the description of the target, speed, course and any other relevent information that another pilot can use for course decision making.

You're correct in that it's nothing to worry about. But RID has nothing to do with ATC or radar. Each drone that is registered will be required to broadcast via wifi or bluetooth its information packet. The radar signature of drones (pretty much nonexistent already) will not be affected.
If the target becomes of interest, through close proximity to something sensitive, another aircraft or location, then deeper information can be gleaned - for instance a ship will transmit on its AIS the name of the ship, port and time of departure, course heading, speed, port destination, cargo or passenger numbers. Any other relevent information, perhaps the cargo is hazardous. AIS = Automatic Identity System (or Signal).

Incorrect. The information packet does not change what it sends out, no matter the distance from anything.

Not without the mod that someone will eventually come up with that'll allow me to bypass or spoof my info.
Modules and onboard RID tx cannot be tampered with. If you do you are no longer compliant.

If M2P is not grandfathered and cannot be made compliant, I wonder if it will fly. Or does DJI have the ability to ground it, i.e., as if it were geo-fenced?

If M2P is not grandfathered and cannot be made compliant, I wonder if it will fly. Or does DJI have the ability to ground it, i.e., as if it were geo-fenced?
You will be allowed to retrofit your drones. There is no grandfathering allowed.

Reactions: Thomas B
I suspect it will not be hard for DJI to implement firmware to make MP2 and many others compatible to these new government regulations... what I fear is that unless you do this and it all works perfectly then the drone just won't fly. I always wonder if the dern thing is going to work every time I boot it up.... just yesterday I went to inspect the top of a home and installed the brand new batter (#4) I just bought and had fully charged... the drone would not take off and the error message was battery not connected properly or such..... have not investigated the problem... just installed another battery and did my job..

I suspect it will not be hard for DJI to implement firmware to make MP2 and many others compatible to these new government regulations... what I fear is that unless you do this and it all works perfectly then the drone just won't fly. I always wonder if the dern thing is going to work every time I boot it up.... just yesterday I went to inspect the top of a home and installed the brand new batter (#4) I just bought and had fully charged... the drone would not take off and the error message was battery not connected properly or such..... have not investigated the problem... just installed another battery and did my job..
Check the contacts on the questionable battery.

I've learned that people with your attitude are not worth my time. My time is too valuable to waste on them.

This is for anyone who may read this part of the thread.

The FAA is looking for people like Kamau54 to make an example of. With RID, they understand enforcement needs to become more public. And posting nose thumbing comments about safety on social media is a good way to end up on their radar. I'm sure Detroit FSDO would be very interested in this thread.

While I agree that RemoteID shouldn't be a big deal unless it precludes pre-RID drones (or severely hampers their use), I clearly detect that you are looking at things solely from the commercial side of drone usage.

Also, I want to point out, this is a forum, not a social media platform. Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, etc are all social media platforms. They are standard locations with a ton of content that anyone can trip over and into. This is a forum, so you basically need to look for info to find stuff here. Big difference.

BTW, I HATE "social media"... It is the downfall of mankind as we know it. It is only left the way it is because of all the marketing money pumping into it, making it a capitalistic wet-dream. But for the majority of humanity it is far from "necessary" and mostly is only doing more harm than good. It can be "fixed", but that would require identifying all users and restricting access to only appropriate audiences. We don't let children wander into places of business unattended, and they are restricted in places that are inappropriate. Same should happen with the internet. It hasn't yet because there is too much money being made by marketers and morally/ethically devoid capitalists.

Reactions: RonW
As I've learned that it's people like you are the ones who sit by their windows, peaking through the curtains, looking for someone to notify the authorities on, or sit behind their computer looking at YouTube videos for the next person to contact the FAA about.
You have no worries about wasting time with me, as you've shown me exactly who you are and what you're about. And to anyone who will listen, be careful what you say around this person. He'll likely copy & paste it to crime stoppers.
I know what you are saying and I think a more concise way would be to say that he is more the type that wants to restrict others from "getting the goods" via their own usage. Basically, he wants only commercial pilots to "get the good shots and footage" and that everyone else is just "taking from their due profitability".

I have heard that from auto mechanics that feel that people shouldn't be allowed to buy their own auto parts and that when you do your own brake job you are "taking money away from them". Same with electricians, plumbers, HVAC, etc... They feel since they have dedicated time/money and "played the game" they are due. Same thing happens with people that go to college and get a degree and find that they have to take a position under someone else that doesn't have a degree, but has tons more experience than them and that they somehow are "more qualified" and thus shoudl get the big bucks right off.

Sorry, that is the beauty of America, you can jump in and find opportunity and make your mark, build a business and make money all without anyone being able to tell you exactly how to do it. There will always be ultra-conservatives that hate it because they are either uninspired, unmotivated, inexperienced, entitled or just flat out jealous of those of us that blaze our own trails and come out ahead of the pack.

I will say though, advocating for flaunting regulations for the sake of "personal freedom" is a piss-poor excuse. For privacy and "individual responsibility" you can ***** and moan all you like, but you have to play by the rules established, lest you find the rules used against you.

I know what you are saying and I think a more concise way would be to say that he is more the type that wants to restrict others from "getting the goods" via their own usage. Basically, he wants only commercial pilots to "get the good shots and footage" and that everyone else is just "taking from their due profitability".

I have heard that from auto mechanics that feel that people shouldn't be allowed to buy their own auto parts and that when you do your own brake job you are "taking money away from them". Same with electricians, plumbers, HVAC, etc... They feel since they have dedicated time/money and "played the game" they are due. Same thing happens with people that go to college and get a degree and find that they have to take a position under someone else that doesn't have a degree, but has tons more experience than them and that they somehow are "more qualified" and thus shoudl get the big bucks right off.

Sorry, that is the beauty of America, you can jump in and find opportunity and make your mark, build a business and make money all without anyone being able to tell you exactly how to do it. There will always be ultra-conservatives that hate it because they are either uninspired, unmotivated, inexperienced, entitled or just flat out jealous of those of us that blaze our own trails and come out ahead of the pack.

I will say though, advocating for flaunting regulations for the sake of "personal freedom" is a piss-poor excuse. For privacy and "individual responsibility" you can ***** and moan all you like, but you have to play by the rules established, lest you find the rules used against you.
I understand what you're saying, and for the most part, agree with ya.
At the same time, I don't want to turn this into a social media type post. But since I'm not known to not speak my mind, I'll say this, and maybe you will get a glimpse of what I'm talking about. I am an almost 64 year old black man, who has played by the rules most of his life, but watched the rules take a dump on me. 3 times since I got into this hobby last December, I've had the police called on me for following the rules, abiding by the law, and doing it right. So much for that.
As for advocating flaunting the rules, I'm only stating what we all know will happen. Somebody somewhere at sometime will find a way to bypass the system (disabling dji geofence wasn't supposed to be, yet it's easily found). When that happens, I'm telling you that I will be first in line for it. If anyone is gullible enough to do it cause I said I would, then I'd tell that person to remember what everybody's mother said to them at one time. "If he jumps off a bridge, you gonna jump too"?
Do not take this as personal, because as I've said, I do understand your point, and agree with ya on it. Life on the other hand, has me in a different situation.

Alright gang. This is not going to go well if this attitude keeps up. We are all instructed to Be Nice and that's not an option.

This post is here to help INFORM people and give some guidance on what the new rules are and best practice to follow them.

If you're not happy with the new FAA Rules this is not the place to debate them and it's DEFINITELY not the place to thumb your nose towards the FAA.

The software already knows all about our drone and geofencing can already keep it grounded. Expiring the current version of code on a certain date is likely already embedded in the code. That means that it would be simple for DJI to ground non-compliant drones after a certain date.

I am buying a MM2, in addition to my two MP's and wait until all this mess is sorted out in the coming year, before buying a M2P. Not such a big investment.

Would you buy an M2P at roughly it’s present full price now (roughly $1600)with remote id on distant horizon?
I'm sure its been said without reading all the posts, yes buy the M2P. I bought the M2Z two months ago and we can fly for two and half years after they implement the change, which hasn't't happened yet. By then you'll probably want the newest version out there anyway, or, in the mean time you could be hit by a bus, buy the drone.

I would say buy now if you want to fly now.

If you have a Mavic with Ocucync, it has everything it needs to send out RID messages over Wi-Fi. DJI should be able to update the firmware to enable this. Since anything that changes how the radio works may require FCC re-certification, it will take some time for DJI to implement, test, and submit for certification.

At some point, DJI will push out a firmware update that will require RID unless you are in a Faa-Recognized Identification Area (FRIA). There will always be a gray market of tweaked firmware, just like we have now for circumventing the current limits. You might see the FAA going after those vendors with more effort in the future. If you install a firmware that lets you circumvent altitude or geofencing rules, you have not violated any rule until the drone goes beyond those limits. If you disable RID, you are in violation as soon as it takes off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661