DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a M2P now with remote id on distant horizon?

Modules and onboard RID tx cannot be tampered with. If you do you are no longer compliant.
Is that like riding a bike with no tax or MOT? I know one chap in our bike circle that has 6 motorbikes, but only one legal number plate - he keeps that bike legal and just uses the same number on all his bikes. They are different makes and colours too!

Any drone you have or buy now will be obsolete before the regulation comes in.

I think that depends on what type of flying and photography you do. My MP is more than enough drone for me given I'm not a professional photographer and have no plans to become one. A lot of folks don't want or need the latest and greatest when it comes to the camera or performance (speed, distance, etc.). That said I'm guessing there will be a market for small add on modules that can broadcast the required signals at line of sight distance (LOS being a requirement for drones with add on modules) for most drones. Maybe someone well versed in wifi power requirements versus distance can chime it on what type of power is required to transmit a wifi signal at distances of 500 ~ 2000 feet.

Any drone you have or buy now will be obsolete before the regulation comes in.
Obsolete in what way? My SLR is 10 or 12 years old and is considered obsolete - but guess what, it still takes as good a picture as it did back then!

Is that like riding a bike with no tax or MOT? I know one chap in our bike circle that has 6 motorbikes, but only one legal number plate - he keeps that bike legal and just uses the same number on all his bikes. They are different makes and colours too!
No, it's more like having a car with an ignition interlock. You can't remove it and you can't start the car without it checking your breath alcohol concentration.

You're correct in that it's nothing to worry about. But RID has nothing to do with ATC or radar. Each drone that is registered will be required to broadcast via wifi or bluetooth its information packet. The radar signature of drones (pretty much nonexistent already) will not be affected.

Incorrect. The information packet does not change what it sends out, no matter the distance from anything.
Who is receiving this 'information packet'?

Who is receiving this 'information packet'?
They designed it so that anyone with a cell phone could pick it up. They'll need an app to read and parse it, but that's nothing that requires any heavy lifting on the development side.

It's somewhat like how you can see the SSID's of every router near you without actually being connected to the routers. They are sending out broadcast packets to identify themselves. RID will work in kind of the same way, but with a different implementation.

I may add, I have had a P4P v1 for the past 3 years, but I just last month acquired a pair of DJI Goggles and a Mavic Air 1, two weeks ago I got a brand new Mavic 2 Zoom and just a few days ago I got a "basically new" Mavic 2 Pro. I also just ordered a Tripltek 1200nits tablet for use with these drones and plan on doing quite a bit flying myself as well as my older kids getting into piloting them also.

I am still on the fence about getting a smart controller for use with the the Mavics, but I guess that will be determined by how much I just want to "grab and go" once nicer weather comes around.
One main reason I got the Smart controller was because it’s easier to see the screen on sunny days compared to my cellphone...just a thought for you.

See, honestly, that is a BIG problem for privacy... If anyone can see the ID, OK... But if they can get the rest of the stats that is totally wrong.

No-one else can see the speed I am driving on the road. They is no broadcast of where I am going and where I came from.

Now, I have no problem with "authorities" being able to get a hold of that information. Since they are held accountable for delving into private interests. But for any idiot with a cellphone to be able to get that info with the possibility of being able to harass the pilot because they don't understand what they are receiving, or worse yet, they are acting in a malicious manner because they just don't "like" drones, that is insane.

Imagine you flying over a neighborhood, not over people, but within eyesight of a persons backyard. Something that already has been determined to be "legal" in all instances. If a idiot gets a frame giving location, height, speed, etc and wants to make you life hell, you can be sued for invasion of privacy because they now have "evidence" that you were in a location they did not like. Previously, there was no way for anyone to glean such information, so such lawsuits were frivolous at best, and only if you were harassing the idiot could they prove you were in the wrong. Now basically the people on the ground can make any claim they want as long as they have a log from your drone that gives them enough "cause" for such a lawsuit. Big deal here is that the law in the country is almost exclusively about "those with the most bucks win" with true justice, especially in civil suits only being metered out if you can prove your side, which basically means everything is up for interpretation. So your flight logs and everything else now can be used against you with just someone grabbing your data out of the air.

And, before someone says that you car has a license plate, so it is no different for the drone, again, it is not the identification portion that is a problem. Let them get the FAA ID for the bird. It is if they can get the rest of the telemetry at will. THAT is the scary part.

And to equate it to existing full sized, manned aircraft, if you have a plane yourself you can "read" the telemetry, but that is because you are another aircraft in the air sharing airspace. If someone wants to read all of that from a ground station they have to invest a TON of cash to do the same. It is VERY scary when people say anyone with a cellphone can get the same information about a drone.

Reactions: GGehret
No-one else can see the speed I am driving on the road. They is no broadcast of where I am going and where I came from.
That's a false analogy unless you are driving over the roof of your neighbors.

But you are broadcasting where you are starting from and where you are going. Every time your phone goes by a cell tower, there's a record with a timestamp and the signal strength. It would take a court order, but that information can be handed over to LE.

The advantage of the RID broadcasts is that if someone sues you and you are flying legally, those records will prove it.

Again, using the cell information analogy, no-one gets that info unless they get an authority to authorize getting it...

RID sounds like it is just placating the masses if "anyone" can get the information with a cellphone and an 'app'.

And, before someone says that you car has a license plate, so it is no different for the drone, again, it is not the identification portion that is a problem. Let them get the FAA ID for the bird. It is if they can get the rest of the telemetry at will. THAT is the scary part.

And to equate it to existing full sized, manned aircraft, if you have a plane yourself you can "read" the telemetry, but that is because you are another aircraft in the air sharing airspace. If someone wants to read all of that from a ground station they have to invest a TON of cash to do the same. It is VERY scary when people say anyone with a cellphone can get the same information about a drone.
You can get quite a bit of info about a passing plane with FlightAware and FlightRadar, both relying on ADS-B gleaned from ground stations.
Right now not all planes are required to have ADS-B, but that could change.

Reactions: KingRat
Again, using the cell information analogy, no-one gets that info unless they get an authority to authorize getting it...

RID sounds like it is just placating the masses if "anyone" can get the information with a cellphone and an 'app'.
I think the primary reason was for LE and First Responders. The people who flew their drones at accidents and at fires and prevented helicopters from assisting ruined it for the rest of us.

Unfortunately, it will take someone being attacked because they were located via RID and the subsequent law suit to change things.

You can get quite a bit of info about a passing plane with FlightAware and FlightRadar, both relying on ADS-B gleaned from ground stations.
Right now not all planes are required to have ADS-B, but that could change.
My analogy of that was with the AIS - the nautical system that is the same. A blip on the radar screen makes the watchkeeper aware of a target with basic information about it. If it is not of interest it gets ignored, but if it is close proximity, for instance, or perhaps on a closing course and you want to know more about it, by bringing that traget up it gives you a host of information, broadcast by the AIS unit on the target vessel - likewise they can read yours. It is an excellent system. The AIS beacon can, and often does, get turned off by vessels operating illegally - fishing boats especially, fishing where they shouldn't! Or perhaps an angling boat has found a mark they don't want others to know about, so they turn off their beacon to become invisible to AIS - still visible to the naked eye or to radar of course, but not to another, rival vessel, at distant range.

The Tripltek tablet is brighter than a Smart Controller, or a High-Brightness Crystalsky. Only the Ultra-Brightness Crystalsky is brighter and not by much. The Tripletek was read at 1500+ nits in one review.
You'll have to comb the net for one of those.....
Here's a review on YouTube where the luminance was measured with a cheap screen luminance meter you can get from Amazon for around $270.
It's a short video, but it shows that brightness was not even across the display. It shows a range from around 1170 to 1570 cd/m2 (nits), with most of the readings in the middle. That's just the nature of a backlit LCD panel.

In the video, 90% of the screen is pure white and the reviewer was only measuring the white areas. A more realistic reading would be a screen that wasn't all white, like running the DJI apps.

It's a bright screen, the tablet is designed for outdoor use. The real-world brightnes is probably 1000 cd/m2, which is what the company that actually makes the tablets reports for the screen luminance.

Actually the company that makes the tablet has multiple versions of the screens available, for both 1000nits and 1200nits. I did all the research on the company to see if I could get one cheaper directly. Not unless I wanted to commit to volume orders.

The same reviewer does a side-by-side with the 1000nits high-bright Crystalsky and found the Tripltek to be much brighter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest