DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a M2P now with remote id on distant horizon?

The problem with using a camera would be calibrating the results. Then you would have something defined for that camera and its settings, that lens and its settings, the ambient lighting in the room, and the distance from the camera to the display. If you want to be able to have comparable and repeatable results for measuring the luminance of a display, you are going to get a more accurate and precise measurement if you use a luminance meter.
I fully agree with you that a special luminance meter, if you have decent one, is more precise and a lot easier to use than a camera. And you have to know beforehand how a certain number of nits translates to camera settings. ( I have a luminance meter myself for calibrating my monitor.)
If you use a camera for this purpose you need to have a decent photographic knowledge how to measure and in what circumstances. As I argued, the distance does not matter but the ambient lighting does, so the camera measurement should be taken in a fairly dark room. This proces is highly repeatable because camera's and lenses are very constant in this respect.
I agree it is a lot of work especially for a less advanced photographer, but you will save a lot of money for an instrument that you only use a few times.
If you are a reviewer of monitors, brightness, etc. then you need a luminance meter. However if you are a user, a camera can do the job
Ton

I fully agree with you that a special luminance meter, if you have decent one, is more precise and a lot easier to use than a camera. And you have to know beforehand how a certain number of nits translates to camera settings. ( I have a luminance meter myself for calibrating my monitor.)
If you use a camera for this purpose you need to have a decent photographic knowledge how to measure and in what circumstances. As I argued, the distance does not matter but the ambient lighting does, so the camera measurement should be taken in a fairly dark room. This proces is highly repeatable because camera's and lenses are very constant in this respect.
I agree it is a lot of work especially for a less advanced photographer, but you will save a lot of money for an instrument that you only use a few times.
If you are a reviewer of monitors, brightness, etc. then you need a luminance meter. However if you are a user, a camera can do the job
Ton
Once more:
Folks... please start a new thread for luminance meter uses. Which could be useful to all. Thanks.
Let’ stay on the topic;
“Would you buy a M2P now with remote id on distant horizon?”
If we’re done with OP’s topic I’m gonna close this thread for the benefit of all.

Thanks for the additional information. Yes, that was my understanding as well that only the drone needs to broadcast. There was some discussion at one point that the phone needed to be connected to the internet for RID to work but I believe that was dropped. Your right about adding a packet but depending on whether the payload was full it would drop one somewhere else, which is obviously not an issue.
Another point I brought up with regard to phones/tablets and DJI complying by firmware update is type 1 RID (built-in) requires sending location of RC.

Type 2 (retrofit) understands that RC location isn't available to a standalone module so takeoff position is sent instead, but with tradeoff of being limited to VLOS.

Although we believe DJI could update firmware for type 1, the missing information is the RC location. Currently that's only available by a user provided mobile device properly equipped but we know that's not a guarantee. The RC itself doesn't have a GPS receiver, and Apple WiFi only tablets don't have GPS. Hopefully FAA will allow use of type 1 and resort to type 2 when RC position can't be provided at that specific time.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Another point I brought up with regard to phones/tablets and DJI complying by firmware update is type 1 RID (built-in) requires sending location of RC.

Type 2 (retrofit) understands that RC location isn't available to a standalone module so takeoff position is sent instead, but with tradeoff of being limited to VLOS.

Although we believe DJI could update firmware for type 1, the missing information is the RC location. Currently that's only available by a user provided mobile device properly equipped but we know that's not a guarantee. The RC itself doesn't have a GPS receiver, and Apple WiFi only tablets don't have GPS. Hopefully FAA will allow use of type 1 and resort to type 2 when RC position can't be provided at that specific time.
So this might mean that in the worst case the user would have to have a GPS enabled phone or tablet. Not too horrible.

Would you buy an M2P at roughly it’s present full price now (roughly $1600)with remote id on distant horizon?
The distant horizon you are referring to is 3 years. DJI is required to comply and will most likely release an extremely light weight attachment. I can't foresee it being more than $50. I was in the same situation as you and decided to buy mine - enjoy it fully for the next 3 years and then deal with Remote ID when required.

You can snag up some amazing deals on eBay - packed bundles for nearly half the price of new.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851