DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a spark?

I honestly do not know if the Spark has a large market.
It's too expensive for a casual purchase and it lacks the features that would make an enthusiast buy it. It is a cool drone but dam it would have been so much cooler if the prop arms folded and it had better range and battery life. I predicted the Arms would fold on the final model. I am still shocked that the leaked version was the final version.

Rob

Considering ordering one, only thing holding me back is lack of DNG support for stills. I appreciate its for fun, but come on ;-)

Are you guys ordering the fly more combo or the standard offering?

Is the lack of DNG for reals? In that case my answer is NO!

As Im mainly a photographer and not a videographer I could see some situations where the Spark would be better. But without the ability to edit in DNG no thanks.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
I honestly do not know if the Spark has a large market.
It's too expensive for a casual purchase and it lacks the features that would make an enthusiast buy it. It is a cool drone but dam it would have been so much cooler if the prop arms folded and it had better range and battery life. I predicted the Arms would fold on the final model. I am still shocked that the leaked version was the final version.

Rob
The arms doesnt fold???? Wow!
That a big fail !

I thought about it because it's smaller and has #fun colors but it's a bit in no man's land. Too expensive to keep around for just-in-case moments and not "pro" enough to capture your prime footage. I hope this is the intermediary before DJI releases a drone that really does fit in your pocket and needs no remote or phone control.

The arms doesnt fold???? Wow!
That a big fail !

Sarcasm noted:p
If it folded it would cut off two thirds of the width!
The spark is actually wider than the Mavic when being transported. So yes for me that would be a big selling point, just like the folding arms of the Mavic is one of it's big selling points.

Rob

I hope this is the intermediary before DJI releases a drone that really does fit in your pocket and needs no remote or phone control.

How would you fly it without a remote or phone?

Rob

Rob
100% gesture controlled. My understanding is that the Spark is pretty close to this. Sure, it's limited in the things a gesture can have it do, but would be great to not need to have a controller. Maybe a combination of voice commands and/or a second camera that's always pointed at you could expand its repertoire.

No one wanted seat belts put in cars either because of the intrusion. So who doesn't put their seatbelt on today because of safety? Drone flying has been the equalivent of the Wild West as shown by that Karma drone crashing into the stadium this week. We may not like it but geospatial rules may be the only thing that ultimately saves this hobby.
Yes because one or two drones crash in a couple of years out of 800,000 sold in the USA that's it we need to lock all and everybody down! I feel safer with a 2000lbs car doing 75mph and I do not wear my seat belt and got a ticket and still do not. I drive a F350 dually truck and If I hit a tiny gocart smart car his seat belt will not help him.

Reactions: Mavman and wayy510
I thought it was a little of a let down when I saw it come out. I was hoping it could do 90% of what the mavic could do. I am now relieved that I got my mavic instead of regretting it for the latest and greatest.

My opinion is that it's a waste, with the exception of a few new flight modes (that might even make its way to the MP), it's just a throttled down version of the MP. Yeah, it may be smaller, but there are plenty of handy cases out there that make the MP just as portable. Unless you have the extra $699 just to toss and take a gamble, then sure. However, I feel the MP is way more bang for the buck and personally would've liked to see DJI put more money into R&D for the MP to further advance the capabilities of F/W & S/W.:D:confused:

I may order one too. If its designed toward the fun segment it may knock the Parrot Bebop 2 off the shelf!

I just sold my Mavic and was watching the Casey Neistadt vid on the Spark. Makes me want another Bebop 2...as it was so fun to fly with a tablet (alone).

For the last 6 weeks my Mavic Pro has been begging me to get a Spark. He has been really excited with adding pin-ups to his walls, clipped out magazine articles scattered around everywhere, just typical young stud behavior. And then today came and he watched the dji announcement and a change overcame him. He said the Spark looked like a cheap drone whore and he has lost interest. He mentioned the 2-axis gimbal, slightly better camera then most cellphones, ect. Poor kid...lol!

No. It's inferior to the Mavic, not so portable as non folding, less flight time, less speed, downgraded camera. If I didn't have a Mavic, I would only buy it if I was tight for money. Otherwise the Mavic beats it hands down. I'm not impressed with this one, I'm afraid.

No. It's inferior to the Mavic, not so portable as non folding, less flight time, less speed, downgraded camera. If I didn't have a Mavic, I would only buy it if I was tight for money. Otherwise the Mavic beats it hands down. I'm not impressed with this one, I'm afraid.
too costly. id pay 299 max tco

Reactions: HSK and larkin
See the videos... they show it being done. You can start it and command takeoff with the battery power button only, then make it move around and command landing on your hand with gestures.

Of course it has limitations - we won't get anything capable of wide movements until they've got obstacle avoidance on all 6 sides.

For the last 6 weeks my Mavic Pro has been begging me to get a Spark. He has been really excited with adding pin-ups to his walls, clipped out magazine articles scattered around everywhere, just typical young stud behavior. And then today came and he watched the dji announcement and a change overcame him. He said the Spark looked like a cheap drone whore and he has lost interest. He mentioned the 2-axis gimbal, slightly better camera then most cellphones, ect. Poor kid...lol!
LOL good one

Actually one thing that would make me consider spark more than anything else isn't the ability to charge from micro USB. I thinks that's super cool.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead