DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you fly in this weather ?

It's another windy day here in SE Volusia County, FL...

It's also my last day off before my work week...

Like I've said a few times, if I didn't fly in 20+ winds, I would never fly.

Screenshot_20200602-094932_Windy.jpg

lol I guess I could fly at 4am, but I'll be on the way to work sooooo

It's another windy day here in SE Volusia County, FL...

It's also my last day off before my work week...

Like I've said a few times, if I didn't fly in 20+ winds, I would never fly.

View attachment 103362

lol I guess I could fly at 4am, but I'll be on the way to work sooooo
You're definitely flying in the upper limits of the MA2's capability. I would not recommend flying in these conditions for someone who is brand new to flying. The wind speed you show in screenshots is surface level, or just above surface level. Sure, in sport mode you can fight against the wind in stronger speeds. I'm curious what the wind speed at your location is at 200-400ft elevation ranges.

If you’re just flying for fun in an open area it’s probably no problem. But if you were taking off from a heavily forested area (as I do often) you need to be careful. You can loose GPS because of the trees and the winds funnelled between the trees, around buildings or in ground effects can be much stronger than the forecast conditions leaving you with some big challenges. If your using aviation METAR/TAF data then it’s very accurate at the specific airport but away from an airport, the forecasts are only out of ground effect interpolations of General data for a region. Local conditions can be quite different especially if say yr by the sea or large lake, near hills or cliffs, tall buildings, etc. Personally I am cautious. It’s wise to know the Beaufort scale as a way to understand local wind conditions. If I see big branches swaying in the wind it’s time to keep the drone on the ground.

I tend to look at the trees around me and see if there is much movement. If there is I wouldn't take off. If there is some wind I'd send the drone up vertically and let it hover at various altitudes to see if I get any warnings before I start flying.
Good advice! I always check the UAV forecast but I find it to be very conservative as to when I can fly. Of course I could set my wind gust settings higher but think that’s asking for trouble with my MM. If I really want to fly and it’s iffy, I do as noted above.
Note: I’m seriously considering getting a MA2 for moderately windy conditions. I love my MM but it’s somewhat limiting for a mildly conservative pilot like myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram
b0d65700dbe735b7131b216d7253fe2d.jpg

I tend not to fly when gust exceeds the capacity of the Mavic air 2.
I tend to be very careful. A lot would depend on the risk factors on the ground. In a remote area, where people and property are not at risk, I would be more inclined to fly if necessary.

If my flying put people or property at risk, I would look to another day.

The Air 2 could likely handle it, in the hands of a high hour pilot. If I was new pilot, Iwould not.

There are too many good days to fly. Why invite the stress? This should not be a forced game or a test of courage. Safe is always best policy.

Reactions: Dbez1
I tend to be very careful. A lot would depend on the risk factors on the ground. In a remote area, where people and property are not at risk, I would be more inclined to fly if necessary.

If my flying put people or property at risk, I would look to another day.

The Air 2 could likely handle it, in the hands of a high hour pilot. If I was new pilot, Iwould not.

There are too many good days to fly. Why invite the stress? This should not be a forced game or a test of courage. Safe is always best policy.
Well said!

I think part of it is that good weather for pilots is often bad weather for photographers, and vice-versa. So there's a balance to be struck, always bearing in mind safety as you say.

Absolutely not. Personal choice. My threshold for my MP2 is 10 mph. Two reasons, one the craft is starting to struggle at that wind speed and second if it is 10 mph at ground level it is always magnitudes higher at altitude. Personal choice.

That is Phantomrain.org weather , were waiting on weather like that.

Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the storm.
Can't wait to get me one! It started drizzling with an incoming storm this morning, had to cancel the shot. :( I've got a Hyperlapse coming up shortly of the the wind today.

The MA2 is amazing. Absolutely. Amazing. Screenshot_20200602-123012.jpg

I'll have some footage of the drone in flight soon.

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think the MA2 handles wind very well. I flew down at the beach in S CA recently. A lot of kite surfers out winds steady around 25. I always take the craft straight up 100 ft and watch how it reacts. It flew like a champ straight upwind. No handling issues, but as always it pays to fly smart and be extra vigilant about your location and wind direction. All in all I think the MA2 is a great drone in wind I would not fly my mini in.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I think the MA2 handles wind very well. I flew down at the beach in S CA recently. A lot of kite surfers out winds steady around 25. I always take the craft straight up 100 ft and watch how it reacts. It flew like a champ straight upwind. No handling issues, but as always it pays to fly smart and be extra vigilant about your location and wind direction. All in all I think the MA2 is a great drone in wind I would not fly my mini in.
I’m in agreement but it should be pointed out that you are an experienced pilot. That’s probably not something a novice should do. ?

The drone is pretty good at alerting you mid flight if the wind is strong and it actually wont return to home because of that. So i tend to fly until i get warnings from the drone in that regard.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
The drone is pretty good at alerting you mid flight if the wind is strong and it actually wont return to home because of that. So i tend to fly until i get warnings from the drone in that regard.
I have yet to get a warning. And let me tell you, I've been flying in some WIIIIND lately.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13