DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you fly this route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up in the air, you'll never encounter any electromagnetic interference to affect the compass.
That's something that happens on the ground, not in the air.
No drone has ever had any incident that could be attributed to a high KP index.
The idea that KP index could affect your flight is a myth.
I forgot to mention my rebuttal on that point, but thanks for the input Meta4

Reactions: Paulf10
Took you up on finding the place
I think the main fear I would have if it were to go down, how would I be able to recuperate a downed drone in that area.
But then again, not any different than flying over open water.
Sometimes, depending on your cajonnes, you just have to go for it.
How positive do you feel, do you feel lucky? Do you feel confident in your machine and your abilities.
You've been around a while, I am sure you know what you are doing by now.trip_094.jpg

It looks like you want to attempt a 2 mile (non VLOS) flight to film a house which is far easier to access from a closer take off point. Why all the risk?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-29 15.59.31.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-29 15.59.31.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2020-06-29 15.58.49.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-29 15.58.49.png
    5 MB · Views: 40
Canaveral National Seashore...

I'm trying to fly around it, sort of.

Launching from Edgewater, flying over Turner Flats, arriving at Eldora.

I can see from my home point if I take off from Edgewater.
If I take off from Bethune, I can't see around corners.

I want to get in, fly Eldora schoolhouse, and get out.

Good Job @Torcan ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Torcan
You want to fly around filming a schoolhouse from 2 miles away?
Yes. Otherwise it is inaccessible.

Half circle over the water...

So here's some backstory. Went there as a kid, 20 years ago, and want to go again but it is closed due to Covid... So... Drone it up.

...but...

It's the retrieval I am worried about. That seems to be the key point. And the birds.

Yes. Otherwise it is inaccessible.

Half circle over the water...

So here's some backstory. Went there as a kid, 20 years ago, and want to go again but it is closed due to Covid... So... Drone it up.

...but...

It's the retrieval I am worried about. That seems to be the key point. And the birds.

I would suggest calling the school governor and getting permission to take off from their land. There's no kids there right now so no danger. Safer for you, safer for them and they might appreciate a copy of the footage.

Better that way than acting like a secret agent flying a mission over the badlands to photograph a school!

yes right, so maybe, just maybe, somebody comes along with reassurance that birds don't take interest in a "drone-in-flight".

but thanks for your answer. i appreciate it.

i know the whole vertical ascent to counter birds and all that... just here for some moral support i guess, of which there hasn't been much, save for the unrighteous few.
I fly here in Florida, east coast. I fly over mangroves wetlands, lakes and the ocean. I quite often haves birds check out the drone but never contact.
I've heard of seagulls attacking but have flown around them no problem, possibly a seasonal thing. I would fly higher than 100' for that distance (although I can't go that far) and if you
say you can see the lights, that's VLOS period. The photos show some birds circling me several times. I did not ascend because they were going over and under, so I stayed still.

Attachments

• 17D87825-B37E-456E-B6DA-4A0CAD740E94_1_201_a.jpeg
    17D87825-B37E-456E-B6DA-4A0CAD740E94_1_201_a.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 40
  • E9E6AEB7-8F02-4EDF-9322-7BFE40FB8807_1_201_a.jpeg
    E9E6AEB7-8F02-4EDF-9322-7BFE40FB8807_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
  • F2D144C1-4318-42D2-97D7-A161F086C9FE_1_201_a.jpeg
    F2D144C1-4318-42D2-97D7-A161F086C9FE_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
Took you up on finding the place
I think the main fear I would have if it were to go down, how would I be able to recuperate a downed drone in that area.
But then again, not any different than flying over open water.
Sometimes, depending on your cajonnes, you just have to go for it.
How positive do you feel, do you feel lucky? Do you feel confident in your machine and your abilities.
You've been around a while, I am sure you know what you are doing by now.View attachment 106259

Nice to see someone actually responding to the OP’s question! Well done sir! You have my respect!?

No...!!!! This has certificate enforcement action written all over it, a civil penalty, generally the penalty for each violation ranges from $1,100 to $27,500, VLOS might be a very hot topic with FAA now. I bet, LAANC providers could share files with FAA for enforcement action. Certificate revocations are issued when the FAA determines that a certificate holder is no longer qualified to hold a certificate. Good luck arguing VLOS capability's, with a government lawyer and administrative law judge who will side with the agency (FAA). You will not win.

I fly here in Florida, east coast. I fly over mangroves wetlands, lakes and the ocean. I quite often haves birds check out the drone but never contact.
I've heard of seagulls attacking but have flown around them no problem, possibly a seasonal thing. I would fly higher than 100' for that distance (although I can't go that far) and if you
say you can see the lights, that's VLOS period. The photos show some birds circling me several times. I did not ascend because they were going over and under, so I stayed still.
Thank you! Some good stuff here.

I had an encounter with an Osprey today. I zoomed up, he took even more interest, so I lowered altitude and returned home for a few until he left.

• Wow
Reactions: Konquerar
I would suggest calling the school governor and getting permission to take off from their land. There's no kids there right now so no danger. Safer for you, safer for them and they might appreciate a copy of the footage.

Better that way than acting like a secret agent flying a mission over the badlands to photograph a school!
The school is a historical site, not in use. It's from 1913. Under the blanket and command of Canaveral National Seashore; National Park Services.

I've reached out to NPS about flying CNS before, but had no luck. They said fire watch, permit regulations, or NASA only.

The school is a historical site, not in use. It's from 1913. Under the blanket and command of Canaveral National Seashore; National Park Services.

I've reached out to NPS about flying CNS before, but had no luck. They said fire watch, permit regulations, or NASA only.

Ah right. I thought you said it was closed due to Covid.

It's not that difficult to determine with a little research.

Look at my location, then do some tinkering in maps, it'll stand out.

Seriously itsneedtokno?? You want US to research where you are so we can answer YOUR question? Why should we even bother researching your location when you can tell us. Something is not right here. And I simply don't believe you on VLOS, even with skins and strobes.

Seriously itsneedtokno?? You want US to research where you are so we can answer YOUR question? Why should we even bother researching your location when you can tell us. Something is not right here. And I simply don't believe you on VLOS, even with skins and strobes.
I was asked to expose the location even though I hid it on purpose. I replied by saying that if it means that much to you, do some research. Somebody took it upon themselves to do so. If I wanted to really hide it I could have. I could have flipped the photo and made it look like the west coast, but I'm not that worried about it.

The flight is over a grey area. I'd be flying in National Park airspace, well through it. From what I understand I can not take off or land inside CNS, but flying through it is different.

This is NOT where this conversation was intended to go. I hid the location to avoid the whole regulations side.

I just wanted personal opinions.

... and you don't have to believe me, nobody does... it's fine

Reactions: Paulf10
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member