DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you fly this route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okay, so no picture, but read the description...

3+ mile visibility.

I already said I had VLOS the whole flight.

...there's definitely bigger fish to fry guys...

I'm 100% legal all the time, may not have been in the past, but this forum has fixed that. I'm not willing to lose my drone, my favorite hobby, my favorite money maker... for some cool shots. That's for the next guy.

There's plenty of legal footage to be had out there.

This is simply a question of whether you as a person, would trust your MA2 for this flight, knowing it's bird-y, and you don't have a boat... but you have 2 Getterbacks and can walk...
It's shallow.

Thanks. Have a great day.

Shallow, Able to walk the two miles. What about hazards in/under the water?

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Yeah, I realize now that my OP was not the most descriptive. That could have avoided a lot of back and forth.

I also don't understand how this thread has risen from the depths.

Wildly enough, I actually flew my MA1 to 10,068 feet about a year ago. About 5 miles north of this location.

...but, I lost my MA1 about 50 feet away from me (a different flight). Never to be retrieved again...

10k is awesome with an Air 1!!!!! That sucks with a loss, but I suppose part of the game!

Im going to ask just out of curiosity, is the drone going to be carrying anything ?

apparently the three statute miles requirement is for anti- collision lights fitted to a drone, and is a FAA regulation,if you believe what Lume Cube say in their advertising

No need to believe them or not. That's a provision in 107.29 and refers to lighting required to fly during civil twilight - it has nothing to do with maintaining VLOS:

§107.29 Daylight operation.
(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during night.​
(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.
(c) For purposes of paragraph (b) of this section, civil twilight refers to the following:​
(1) Except for Alaska, a period of time that begins 30 minutes before official sunrise and ends at official sunrise;​
(2) Except for Alaska, a period of time that begins at official sunset and ends 30 minutes after official sunset; and​
(3) In Alaska, the period of civil twilight as defined in the Air Almanac.​

Looks like the whole place is a national park so you can't fly there anyway........

I believe that he can fly over it. The restriction is Take-Off,, Landing or Flying from. He will be flying over, so he needs to mitigate the landing portion. If he crashes by losing his battery, or encounters a low battery that forces him to land, or if he crashes for what ever reason, perhaps a bird strike, then he will be violating the Landing restriction for the National Park. This is when he will have to answer to the NPS and the FAA. So he should be concerned with wind direction by going out against the wind, watching his battery, watching for bird intercepts, signal interruption when he circles around to the back side of the structure, and if he has VLOS, landing to yield to any unexpected manned aircraft. His has risks, but they are his. Should he take those risks and fail, it will not only impact him but other pilots in the future.
To answer his OP question, I would say NO. Great goal with Great risks. I would contact the park manager as they have the authority to provide permission for their respective parks.

I did. It is.

You described it as a schoolhouse which you then said was closed due to Covid. I made suggestions based on that. Obviously you are not looking for help, just either attention or a troll. It's a national park. You're not allowed to fly there. Period. There's your answer.

Wrong, He can fly over with certain restrictions such as not disturbing the wildlife, disrupting the park visitors, etc. He cannot Take-off, Land, or Operate from the NPS.

It's an old historical schoolhouse that is closed due to Covid. I haven't been there in about 20 years, and would love to get a nice orbit and be done.

I thought about that with care refresh, and it's such a varied terrain that the slightest breeze could blow it from being over land to being over water, if it was descending uncontrollably.

I'm not gonna risk it.
Just asking for clarification. You keep saying it is a school house closed due to Coid19, then it keeps coming up that it is a NPS area and you were denied taking off from the school area. Is it one or both?

Why would the FAA rate strobes for 3 miles?

I don't know, I'm not claiming to see them at 3 miles, but if they say it's possible, then who's to say it's not.

Somebody came up with that number somewhere, somehow.
You'll find that the 3mile limit is for nighttime, not daytime. I have the latest Firehouse XL Strobe fitted to my MP1 and have difficulty seeing it over 1200ft. in daylight.

Just asking for clarification. You keep saying it is a school house closed due to Coid19, then it keeps coming up that it is a NPS area and you were denied taking off from the school area. Is it one or both?
A historical schoolhouse in Eldora, FL.

To finish this thread...

I have decided not to, for two reasons.

1) A bird strike over NPS land is something I don't care to deal with.

2) I've contacted the Superintendent and got a firm no as an answer. No take off. No landing. No operation of any sUAS on Canaveral National Seashore grounds. Only NASA, SaR, and Permit Regulations.

Listen, if it was the Ocala National Forest, I'd probably fly... The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, pretty much any place besides an Operations center for the USSF, I'd probably fly.

There's too much risk, don't crap where you eat.

No need to believe them or not. That's a provision in 107.29 and refers to lighting required to fly during civil twilight - it has nothing to do with maintaining VLOS:

§107.29 Daylight operation.
(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during night.​
(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.
(c) For purposes of paragraph (b) of this section, civil twilight refers to the following:​
(1) Except for Alaska, a period of time that begins 30 minutes before official sunrise and ends at official sunrise;​
(2) Except for Alaska, a period of time that begins at official sunset and ends 30 minutes after official sunset; and​
(3) In Alaska, the period of civil twilight as defined in the Air Almanac.​
@sar104 thanks for your clarification,it was mentioned earlier in the thread about strobes helping with VLOS , at 3 miles,with no mention of the half hour before dawn or after dusk
i was not doubting the lume cube claims ,just quoting them off the box i have

Hi, yes I'd fly that route pretty confidently. I take it you're nervous flying over water? I used to be but figured I normally fly at least 50m high anyway so if the drone drops to the ground its a pile of debris, only difference over water is you don't get to grieve over the wreckage. The more you do it the better your confidence will be, i stay at least 20m height though to prevent any of the issues people have had with sensors. Give it a go and let us know how it went.

Okay, so no picture, but read the description...

3+ mile visibility.

I already said I had VLOS the whole flight.

...there's definitely bigger fish to fry guys...

I'm 100% legal all the time, may not have been in the past, but this forum has fixed that. I'm not willing to lose my drone, my favorite hobby, my favorite money maker... for some cool shots. That's for the next guy.

There's plenty of legal footage to be had out there.

This is simply a question of whether you as a person, would trust your MA2 for this flight, knowing it's bird-y, and you don't have a boat... but you have 2 Getterbacks and can walk...
It's shallow.

Thanks. Have a great day.

Since you say that your drone is a money maker for you, I assume you are flying part 107. I think this applies:
"the FAA has also clarified the regulatory text of § 107.31. As amended, § 107.31 states that the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small UAS must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to: (1) know the unmanned aircraft’s location; (2) determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight; (3) observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and (4) determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another. "

I'm not sure how you can comply with all 4 requirements from 2 miles away. In my opinion, that flight is a no.

Since you say that your drone is a money maker for you, I assume you are flying part 107. I think this applies:
"the FAA has also clarified the regulatory text of § 107.31. As amended, § 107.31 states that the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small UAS must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to: (1) know the unmanned aircraft’s location; (2) determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight; (3) observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and (4) determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another. "

I'm not sure how you can comply with all 4 requirements from 2 miles away. In my opinion, that flight is a no.

Honestly. Some guys should spend more time flying and less time posting. Visual sight at 4kms, oh please? In that terrain?
I gotta say, I do a lot of research on here and have very little to say for the most part, this is THE best place to learn a lot about this hobby, very many intelligent people on this forum.
I consider myself to be very cautious in planning my flights, executing my flights and overall I follow the rules even though some are quite arbitrary. The one rule I simply can’t adhere to is the VLOS! I’m not boasting or trying to be “that guy” who breaks the rules but there is nothing more boring then flying VLOS especially if you live where I do it’s wide open for miles and I know if I stay within a few dozen feet of the 400 ft altitude rule, all will be fine! More confusing is why would anybody by a DJI if they were gonna fly big circles just to keep eye contact? Might as well spend $200 and get a holy stone or MJX level drone, they cameras are pretty good and they are more then capable of flying WAY out of the VLOS I have several and I assure you they do. Anyway just my thoughts on it I’m definitely not bashing anyone who strictly abided by each and every rule. But IMO to do so, adds up to a very redundant and limited flight experience.

Well ........don't post "how long is a piece of string" type questions if you don't want applicable asnwers.
Most reader’s would appreciate that your concern was over whether you should put your faith into ANY drone to send it out over that type of terrain with the potential for loss and non-recovery. Water, water, everywhere! Assuming that you already had the essentials covered (which I believe you had) this is the “over the cliff” milestone on any drone pilot! How much faith does a mountain climber put in his ropes and pins?! I can guarantee that your adrenalin won’t settle until the end of the return run! If you have faith in your planning, meet the safety requirements but can afford ??? to lose the drone, “go fly”! Good luck. It looks like some great scenery. Plan your exposure settings, with sun reflections off the water and the land being different. The time of day and maybe the use of a P/L filter may help with the end result. Early morning with a lower chance of wind and softer lighting are worth considering, there. And maybe do a practice flight of the same distance over land, just to gain some added confidence in the drone. But the Air 2 is getting great reviews on performance, especially with Ocusync 2 comms. Mine is holding up - so far! Keep some height. Safe flight! And enjoy relaxing with a cold beer after the successful landing!! You’ll have earned it! ??

Reactions: SXViper03
For what it’s worth, and the fact I’m sure some sticklers are gonna nail me to the wal for distance, I regularly fly across the lake by my house shore to shore and back it’s about 7 miles round trip. Lots of seagulls but other then that it’s no problem. In fact, I’d much rather fly over water there’s absolutely no interference, nothing I could possibly hit besides a bird which could happen anywhere, and the videos and pictures are just fantastic, especially during the “magic hour” for photography which if you didn’t know is appx 45 before/after sunset/sunrise when the light is just perfect for light composition. I’ve got a Mavic 2 Pro so you’ve got the same (I think) transmission technology as I do so I can at least tell you in regards to the capability to make the flight, so long as it’s not really windy, is a breeze. I don’t know the details of your exact situation, but in terms of telemetry it’s not even a challenge. Plus if you have an issue with VLOS just grab a friend to spot and you’re good to go. Regardless of what you decide, just know that the technology at your fingertips will not have a problem getting you there and back. Best of luck ??

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ

This is completely illegal under Part 107. That it is even being debated is really disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki