DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Would you fly your drone in this wind?

The hardest part is just getting the drone up in the Air without crashing, the rest is head wind negotiations and landing with a break wall so yeah get me out there. Of course I will be flying from inside my car.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. , Capture the storm.
Coming home low across the water to stay out of the wind up higher is pretty thrilling! Thanks @Phantomrain.org

Reactions: Droniac
The drone will probably be able to fly, but from experience whenever I take my drone out of my bag and the props start spinning in the wind before even powering on, I think you’re starting to push things a bit. Probably best to fly only when absolutely necessary (e.g. paid job) in those conditions.

Yes - it's one of those cases where two people can be making correct statements but, without a common baseline to the discussion, appear to disagree.
Eazzzzy. I’m hip. It was in the “rhythm” of the read. I can appreciate both your stances. Although I certainly appreciate your clarification. Love ping pong. 😉

So for everyone wondering about drones and winds, I am a meteorologist and storm chaser and among dozen or so professional storm chasers make a living chasing storms via ENG sales, everyone I know including me use the Mavic 2 Pro as a primary drone with the Air 2 as a backup. Most of us carry 2 or 3 drones in case something unforeseen happens.

On the M2Pro it can handle Cat 1 Hurricane winds and shoot perfect video that we market to tv networks both nationally and internationally. The Air 2 we have had in a couple of tropical storms and it handled 40-45mph reasonably well.

The 2 obvious drawbacks being poor headwind performance and poor battery life.

Yesterday we were along the South Carolina coast with a developing Nor'Easter and flew 7 or 8 flights with no issues whatsoever. At the time of this video, winds were sustained at around 35mph gusting to around 50mph.

Here is the link to check it out. Also plenty of drone shots of tornadoes and hurricanes on the channel.
To my knowledge, every video we have was either shot on the Mavic 2 Pro or Air 2.

11-06-2021 Folly Beach, SC - Ground And Aerials of Tidal Flooding, Beach Erosion, And Surfers

• Love
On the M2Pro it can handle Cat 1 Hurricane winds and shoot perfect video that we market to tv networks both nationally and internationally. The Air 2 we have had in a couple of tropical storms and it handled 40-45mph reasonably well.
What do you mean the drone can "handle" those winds?

The 2 obvious drawbacks being poor headwind performance and poor battery life.
By poor headwind performance, do you mean anything other than being blown backwards in winds that are faster than the drone's maximum speed?

What do you mean the drone can "handle" those winds?

By poor headwind performance, do you mean anything other than being blown backwards in winds that are faster than the drone's maximum speed?
Eh you can get 6-7mph sport mode.

Eazzzzy. I’m hip. It was in the “rhythm” of the read. I can appreciate both your stances. Although I certainly appreciate your clarification. Love ping pong. 😉
I think you were watching @Meta4 and @BigAl07 - I wasn't on either side of the debate.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07
Eh you can get 6-7mph sport mode.
If your Mavic 2 is managing 6-7 mph directly into a headwind using Sport Mode, the wind is <40 mph ... that's not hurricane force winds which would be > 70mph and carry the drone into the next county..

My dji fpv has power, but...I dunno, maybe in full manual? I wouldn't want to try 🤣🤣
The FPV is in a completely different league when it comes to speed.
It can achieve 39 metres/sec in M Mode and 27 m/s in Sport Mode.
That's 87 & 60 mph so it can blast through winds that would push Mavics backwards.

• Wow
Reactions: Mavy710
I think you were watching @Meta4 and @BigAl07 - I wasn't on either side of the debate.
Except my apology. I actually try to be careful of that. It’s truly wether reading glasses are on or not. Btw. I thank you for all your posts/input/assistance overtime. I’ve learned a lot from you and very appreciative.
Godspeed, Droniac

Smells like BS to m.

Easy there.... let's be nice.... also you may want to read a bit more on that first page (let's say post #18 for fun)

As a professional storm chaser, you do know that a Category 1 hurricane has 'sustained' winds of between 74 to 95 MPH right? ;) Perhaps you meant that you can fly at the outer edge of a cat 1, maybe 200 miles or so from the eye. Because there is no way a Mavic 2 Pro can 'handle' sustained winds of 74 (or above) MPH. Tropical Depression winds? Okay. Tropical Storm winds? Maybe a light one, but not Hurricane strength winds.

Winds.gif

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet