DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you still buy a Mavic 2 Pro

i think for now and for several next years quality of the 1" sensor used in the M2P will not be sufficiently improved, design is now more or less stable, there are still issues with the gimbal quality and reliability, but, it is still the best compact design available. so, i think it is still a solid buy, and if DJI will drop its price in the future - it will be even a better buy. phantom and inspire lines are not really competitors here, it is a whole different market. pocket drones like air would also be a fine option if they would find a way to fit a 1" sensor with an adjustable aperture into it. but, for now, M2P is the only compact pocket drone that features such design, so, there is nothing else, really, to choose from.

so the whole question does not make much sense imho. it is a fine model, very stable in the air and reasonably reliable, i think.

Reactions: RogerMav
Hi

M2P is grate drone
Amazing quality video
About SC
You will enjoy it
It is vary good controller
But there is one disadvantage
You will be locked with GO4 app
only for now
Any other apps not working with
SC like Litchi, Autopilot, DJI Pilot
Maybe in the future

Good luck

Thanks dirkclod! Is there anyone else who has switched to the smart controller? iPad for me is clumsy and too dark.
I didn’t switch to a smart controller, as I bought my M2P with it. But my previous drone was an Inspire1 and I used a large iPad with it. The smart controller just adds to the ease of “grab and go” instead of a long setup time like the inspire. And the brightness of the screen is a real plus.

That said, I find the screen a little small, and some of the fonts used by DJI are minuscule, even when there’s plenty of real estate to use on the screen. And, as a long time iOS user, who’s never used anything Android before, I can’t just use muscle memory when trying to accomplish something. My unfamiliarity makes me feel “digitally challenged” which is a new experience for me.

But, if I had to do it over again, I’d buy exactly the same configuration.

Thanks dirkclod! Is there anyone else who has switched to the smart controller? iPad for me is clumsy and too dark.
I use Crystalsky ultra 7”. The standard is just as fine. Can’t beat it while outside in the direct sunlight. The iPad doesn’t compare. It is price tho but worth the money. Flyhighusa.com sells an adapter for the CS that is solid! Just make sure to run the CS 1.01 version. The latest FW update causes compass and screen freezing issues that DJI is still working out.

Yes, I enjoy my M2P, so much so that my Spark and MPP sufffer relatively small flight time now. I did not get a smart controller as my CS works fine... more setup, even with my PolaPro mount, but I prefer the larger screen. Hoping for an SC eventually with a 7+ inch screen.

STDBY.!
......And why I have not pulled the trigger on an upgrade to MP2..

My belief DJI sales on Mavic pro 2
Have gone flat (same units sold 30day)
I will got out on a limb and say with 2-6 weeks DJI will launch
Another -Got to have drone
....Just gut feeling
Reason .?
They shut down the Phantom line 11/18.

there have been no DJI news leaks/ rumors since 01/27/19.

I believe DJI
Is going to Rock the Drone world once again
With a new machine
.......sooner than later
....cR
I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong. The faster the state of the art regenerates, the better. But I'm betting that it'll be another 2 years or so before we see a true replacement for the M2P. I hope it's a Hasselblad lens with a superb zoom range, like most pocket digital cameras have. Yes, it'll be heavier. Yes, it'll need a bigger battery.

I think DJI will concentrate on the upper range of the market (S@R, infrastructure surveillance, agriculture, security, etc). I see the recreational market as the cash cow to keep the $$ coming in to meet payroll and cover development costs.

Reactions: charliesRig
YES. it is my first drone ever.
I've never used any type of video game nor a hand held controller before and found it easy to learn and operate. it would be nice it is had a super zoom like my 100-400 dslr lens. :)

After having your M2P for a while would you buy it again? I have the Mavic Pro a and have waited to upgrade to the Mavic 2. Is it as good as expected now that you’ve had it for a while?
Thanks

Yes and no.
The mavic2 if a fantastic drone, much better pictures compared to the MP. Especially at low light.
However, if you are only looking at your pics on the 20some inch PC monitor or laptop not doing much post edit, the difference in quality may not worth it.
Knowing what I know now, (I still like my mp2), but the mp was a great enjoyment, I would save my money and wait for the next DJI drone/mav3.
My current setup is mp2, 9.7 ipad, dji goggles. Love the goggles.

Reactions: Plainview
I have not upgraded, and may not.

My reasons are simply that the distorted horizon line is distracting. I know there are plug ins to fix, but my concern for that is that other objects in frame would also be changed; uncontrollably. Or is it the other objects are also distorted like the barrel of a fish eye lens or lean in like an ultra wide lens? Also, making that edit is just one more step, in an already taxing workflow.

Regarding low light performance, I live/fly in the country. There aren't many city lights, and the lights we have are strip malls, so...worth it?

Low light in the pasture is part of the aesthetic.

I'm not a big fan of HDR. To me, certain objects in the frame should be of a different exposure. My observation of HDR is that everything is 'properly' exposed. Not sure that's natural.

What does appeal to me is access to the full exposure triangle. Still, at altitude, it may not provide the optics that street level lenses do. So, it may simply be a way to eliminate the need for ND filters while maintaining a low iso. Can't see the need for even more light with the sky in frame . With a tight aperture, there would be even more depth of field on a camera that already has massive depth of field.

My understanding is that the codec 265 is a resource hog making an edit oriented rendering necessary, and that is very time consuming.

So, for the time being, I'll stick with what I know.

I still like flying my MP, but drone photography/videography has lead me to street photography, which I find more interesting as it is less predictable. So, my money is toward mirror less cameras like the newly released compact Ricoh Gr iii.

Can I interest anyone in a Crystalsky Ultra? This is in excellent condition with a polar pro cover to protect the screen, and a Mavmount complete with tripod adapter; highly recommended. It fits perfectly in a DJI Spark flymore bag having two sleeves for the batteries of the CSU. I'm willing to sell all of this for $750 with buyer paying shipping. If interested, PM me.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Will I wait for the MP3, not sure what DJI will improve on. We’ll see!

I also believe there are big plans ahead for DJI and possibly some collaboration with Msoft or Apple as well. The discontinuation of the P4 will usher in a newer smarter drone (3rd Gen Mavic 3) perhaps? All the YouTube drone videos now start with an advertising saying the drone industry will boom into a 100 Billion dollar market in the next few years. I would hold off until DJI makes the next announcement like when Apple releases their new iPhone or new iPads in September.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams