DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you support a lawsuit over Remote ID?

Would you support a lawsuit over Remote ID?

• I would support a lawsuit over remote ID with donations

Votes: 77 37.4%
  • I support a lawsuit over Remote ID but not enough to give money

Votes: 41 19.9%
  • I don’t care about this issue

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • I like the remote ID rule and I am against a lawsuit

Votes: 70 34.0%

• Total voters
I kind of wish the FAA would concern itself with registering and tracking owners of full size airplanes in this country before wasting millions on registering and tracking 250 gram drones.

https://wfaa.com/embeds/video/287-17e454d4-b7ec-4ed4-8f7c-f891b362a727/iframe?jwsource=em
This will really get you going @Chip

Requires no tracking, no registration, no license, no training, no experience of any kind, and almost no rules
DDF10F76-6959-4558-A707-F65C788CC731.jpeg

Requires tracking, registration, soon a knowledge test or a license, and the rules just on tracking are almost 500 pages long.
6AFD75DE-85B5-44AC-B93E-8EFCF42A7307.jpeg

Reactions: Chip and Thomas B
The difference is that you have to buy the aeroscope to see the pilot's location. Not everybody is gonna rush out to buy one of these things, and in fact, it may not be available to the general public. With the RID the pilot's location is broadcast to anyone with the app to read the data. There should be privacy issues and I don't understand why the FAA did not limit availability to LEO's.

It's more of a privacy issue. While the LEA's may have good reason to monitor the skies to "protect" the populace, the general public has no right to the same information.

Can airplane owners block their flight tracking data to the general public if and when they wish?

Limiting Aircraft Data Displayed (LADD)​

Aircraft owners or designated representative may request limiting aircraft data displayed (formally referred to as blocking) or unblocking of flight tracking data. Limiting aircraft data from the FAA data systems will limit flight tracking information transmitted over the Internet. “Unblocking” will ensure aircraft flight data will be included in the FAA data feed utilized by internet flight tracking vendors.

This will really get you going @Chip

Requires no tracking, no registration, no license, no training, no experience of any kind, and almost no rules
View attachment 121886

Requires tracking, registration, soon a knowledge test or a license, and the rules just on tracking are almost 500 pages long.
View attachment 121887
Can you post a link about that helicopter and its pilot not requiring any certification or registration?

Can airplane owners block their flight tracking data to the general public if and when they wish?

If so, then what a massive case of

hypocrisy
[həˈpäkrəsē]

NOUN
  1. the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
    synonyms:
    sanctimoniousness · sanctimony · pietism · piousness · affected piety · affected superiority · false virtue · cant · humbug · pretense · posturing · speciousness · empty talk · insincerity · falseness · falsity · deceptiveness · deceit · deceitfulness · deception · dishonesty · dissembling · dissimulation · duplicity · imposture · two-facedness · double-dealing · phoneyness · Pharisaism · Tartufferie

Can you post a link about that helicopter and its pilot not requiring any certification or registration?
It’s an ultralight aircraft.

FAA part 103

I did make one mistake in that they have to be single occupant and my example is not. However, here is a single occupant version which I don’t think changes anything about the point I was making. C5ADDD6F-15AF-4CC9-8F55-B4996C96E59C.jpeg

WHERE IS ADS-B OUT REQUIRED ON FULL SIZE AIRCRAFT?​

The FAA requires ADS-B Out capability in airspace designated by FAR 91.225:
  • Class A, B, and C airspace;
  • Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl;
  • Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);
  • Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000 feet;
  • Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl, within 12 nm of the U.S. coast.
Do I need to Equip? (faa.gov)

So, not in unregulated airspace.

WHERE IS REMOTE ID REQUIRED ON 250 gram drone?​

Every inch of airspace in the continental United States whether regulated or not.

Make sense?

WHERE IS ADS-B OUT REQUIRED ON FULL SIZE AIRCRAFT?​

The FAA requires ADS-B Out capability in airspace designated by FAR 91.225:
  • Class A, B, and C airspace;
  • Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl;
  • Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);
  • Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000 feet;
  • Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl, within 12 nm of the U.S. coast.
Do I need to Equip? (faa.gov)

So, not in unregulated airspace.

WHERE IS REMOTE ID REQUIRED ON 250 gram drone?​

Every inch of airspace in the continental United States whether regulated or not.

Make sense?
Yea manned aircraft don’t have to transmit location in class G airspace but drones do.

The FAA has a term for what they consider to be the three types of drone pilots called the “3Cs”; clueless, careless, and criminal. That’s what they think of us.

Yea manned aircraft don’t have to transmit location in class G airspace but drones do.

The FAA has a term for what they consider to be the three types of drone pilots called the “3Cs”; clueless, careless, and criminal. That’s what they think of us.

Yes, drone pilots are targeted as presumed criminals with no reasonable expectation of privacy while the FAA molly coddles others posing far more serious threat. What a phony double standard.

The FAA acknowledges the desire of some operators to limit the availability of real-time ADS-B position and identification information for a specific aircraft. To address privacy concerns, the FAA has initiated the Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) program to improve the privacy of the following eligible aircraft:
  • U.S registered
  • 1090 MHz ADS-B equipped
  • Using a third-party call sign
  • Flying in domestic U.S. airspace
The PIA program enables interested aircraft owners to request an alternate, temporary ICAO Address, which will not be assigned to the owner in the Civil Aviation Registry (CAR).

Reactions: brett8883
Yes, drone pilots are targeted as presumed criminals with no reasonable expectation of privacy while the FAA molly coddles others posing far more serious threat. What a phony double standard.

The FAA acknowledges the desire of some operators to limit the availability of real-time ADS-B position and identification information for a specific aircraft. To address privacy concerns, the FAA has initiated the Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) program to improve the privacy of the following eligible aircraft:
  • U.S registered
  • 1090 MHz ADS-B equipped
  • Using a third-party call sign
  • Flying in domestic U.S. airspace
The PIA program enables interested aircraft owners to request an alternate, temporary ICAO Address, which will not be assigned to the owner in the Civil Aviation Registry (CAR).

Crazy. There’s something to add to the list.

Crazy. There’s something to add to the list.
Let me guess. More "opt-out options" for special interest groups?

NBAA – National Business Aviation Association

Privacy
Privacy of business aviation operations is vital to protecting the personal security of passengers and the industrial security for companies.
As technology has evolved to allow the real-time tracking and sharing of flight data – first with the FAA’s Aircraft Situational Display to Industry (ASDI) program and later with Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) equipment – NBAA worked closely with the FAA to develop opt-out options to limit the distribution of aircraft data and flight information over the internet.
For the maximum level of privacy, operators should participate in both the Limiting Aircraft Data Displayed (LADD) and Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) programs.

What do they need all these secret ADS-B opt-out options for? Surely community outreach offers more than enough security and protection for all aircraft and pilots alike.

• Haha
Reactions: brett8883
Let me guess. More "opt-out options" for special interest groups?

NBAA – National Business Aviation Association

Privacy
Privacy of business aviation operations is vital to protecting the personal security of passengers and the industrial security for companies.
As technology has evolved to allow the real-time tracking and sharing of flight data – first with the FAA’s Aircraft Situational Display to Industry (ASDI) program and later with Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) equipment – NBAA worked closely with the FAA to develop opt-out options to limit the distribution of aircraft data and flight information over the internet.
For the maximum level of privacy, operators should participate in both the Limiting Aircraft Data Displayed (LADD) and Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) programs.

The FAA is as corrupt as it gets. You hear all about how the FAA is so under staffed they have to let Boeing certify their own airplanes but when it comes to drones it seems like they have a whole army of people who just sit around and make up more rules.

You know if you go to the NTSB database there isn’t one drone related incident in there but it turns out serious manned aircraft accidents with injuries and deaths are actually pretty routine.

It’s an ultralight aircraft.

FAA part 103

I did make one mistake in that they have to be single occupant and my example is not. However, here is a single occupant version which I don’t think changes anything about the point I was making. View attachment 121956
I thought only fixed wing would qualify as an ultralight. A helicopter, ultralight or not I'm sure would not be easy to fly and could just drop rather than glide and so should require some sort of certification of competence to fly.

But you are right. Seems silly a MAS no matter how light that is allowed over 400ft would not need any qualifications yet a drone less than 55lb would require all this. OK, 55lb is heavy. Perhaps lighten up for UAS under 5lb.

Anyone know if RID requirement was in the 2018 FAA recertification act or somehow implied? If so, then blame congress. FAA would only be filling in the implementation details.

That was over 6 years ago and she was convicted of 3rd-degree assault.

She basically received a slap on the wrist with accelerated probation. But if she applies for a job with any sort of background check, her name comes up fairly quickly and she'll have to explain why she attacked a teenager.
yes, my understanding is the woman was only charged in a local county court because the young man had presence of mind to record assault as it was happening on cell phone and therefore had proof. The FAA tells drone pilots not to worry because the exact same federal law that protects pilots, flight crew and aircraft from any assault or other disturbance while flying (and carries sentence up to life in prison) fully protects drone pilots on the ground. Do you believe it?

Last edited:

49 U.S. Code § 46504. Interference with flight crew members and attendants​

An individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both.  However, if a dangerous weapon is used in assaulting or intimidating the member or attendant, the individual shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.

Operative phrase: on an aircraft

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31