DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yagi for the mini itself??

the88man

Reactions
Has anybody tried the yagi on the mini yet? I placed a order to try it. I have the yagi for the control,works great.

Now adding the yagi to the drone hmmm

What weight is the yagi array? Will you get around payload mode. If not and your range/height is affected then you don't need the yagi then do you!
Just realised you mean original Mini and not Mini 2. Does original have payload mode?
(Note to self RTFP)!

Has anybody tried the yagi on the mini yet? I placed a order to try it. I have the yagi for the control,works great.

Now adding the yagi to the drone hmmm

No sense in putting those on the drone if you can't even get far enough for them to be useful. My guess would be that the added weight would make it not worth it. The drone's range would be impaired because of the extra weight. Just my personal opinion, not facts :)

Reactions: the88man
The Yagi gets it's increased gain, and thus range, by being directional. That means at distances where this comes into play, you will lose reception if the drone is turned so the Yagi is not pointing back at the controller.
My concern exactly too. You might get a good bit extra range and then turn the drone slightly and completely lose signal as the signal "beam" is no longer pointed at the controller.

If your mission is to do a crazy range test and you fly in a direct line away from the controller, and then put all your faith in RTH kicking in and the battery lasting long enough for it to get back home again, then it might all work ?

Reactions: the88man
The photo shows the yagis pointed toward the rear of the drone. That would be fine for sending the drone out in a forward direction, but then if you yaw right or left, signal strength will drop. If RTH kicks in for any reason, the drone will turn around to face you, so the yagis will be pointing their signal in exactly the wrong direction. I wouldn't expect to regain the connection until the drone comes much closer.

A fundamental of antenna design is that gain in one direction comes at the expense of loss in other directions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147