DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yagi range extenders

Arnu69

Reactions
I'm in the UK.
Just interested how far people have got with their Yagis.
Currently my record is 2.4 miles using 2.4ghz. It will go further I know, I get the auto return message and I'm too scared to overide it. It came back with 23% still to burn.I'm aware of a guy on YouTube who has successfully flown 4550 metres and back on one battery.

Don't bother telling me off. I fly over open countryside just like the similarly sized sparrow.

Reactions: Fire260 and Iainabz
I'm in the UK.
Just interested how far people have got with their Yagis.
Currently my record is 2.4 miles using 2.4ghz. It will go further I know, I get the auto return message and I'm too scared to overide it. It came back with 23% still to burn.I'm aware of a guy on YouTube who has successfully flown 4550 metres and back on one battery.

Don't bother telling me off. I fly over open countryside just like the similarly sized sparrow.

My idea is to sell the Mini, spend the extra money on the Air 2 get an easy 10 miles and make your Heart content knowing that it can go that far.

There is no logic in making the Mini want to go further and to much risk involved, the Air 2 will just be a dream for you in the open country side.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain
Coal

My idea is to sell the Mini, spend the extra money on the Air 2 get an easy 10 miles and make your Heart content knowing that it can go that far.

There is no logic in making the Mini want to go further and to much risk involved, the Air 2 will just be a dream for you in the open country side.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
Yes I get that , but I'm currently having quite a bit of fun trying to get it to go as far as it can though. It is quite an amazing little bird. I'm the first to admit there's not really much point to going so far other than beating my own record. Prior to the Yagis 1700m was as far as it'd go. So 3860m is quite an achievement. It will go further but I'll only try in perfect conditions.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
This guy can do that with a mini ! Lol

Reactions: Arnu69
I bought a pair of yagi antennas but I have not had the chance to test them out
I’m hoping to really soon
From what I have seen,they are very impressive on videos [emoji846]

Reactions: Arnu69
Though very interesting range etc. I find that it would be difficult if not impossible to maintain an active line of sight at the distances you mention! You say that you do this purely for interest, unless you have a spotter with binoculars, what are the current regulations about maintaining visual contact at all times?

Though very interesting range etc. I find that it would be difficult if not impossible to maintain an active line of sight at the distances you mention! You say that you do this purely for interest, unless you have a spotter with binoculars, what are the current regulations about maintaining visual contact at all times?

I suppose if you look down at your controller, you have broken literal VLOS compliance - Yes, all of us. So it’s really a matter of the time of that loss and not really the loss itself. Exploration and curiosity of the limits of anything is to be expected from us human types.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
Here’s what I don’t get you pull the drone out of the box maybe buy an antenna screw it on and fly some distance.
Then you think it’s some kind of personal accomplishment - well it’s not - it’s an accomplishment for the engineers who designed the stuff you’re using but not you.

An eight-year-old kid could do that - And may be better than you

Reactions: GB1Yorkshire1
I suppose if you look down at your controller, you have broken literal VLOS compliance - Yes, all of us. So it’s really a matter of the time of that loss and not really the loss itself. Exploration and curiosity of the limits of anything is to be expected from us human types.
All pilots look down at instruments, controls etc, this is normal operating procedure, they do not lose sight of the aircraft. Flying a drone at extreme range by definition means that it is at the fringe of control both visually and electronically this is in direct conflict rules of flight.

Here’s what I don’t get you pull the drone out of the box maybe buy an antenna screw it on and fly some distance.
Then you think it’s some kind of personal accomplishment - well it’s not - it’s an accomplishment for the engineers who designed the stuff you’re using but not you.

Really? Why do you bother replying to such things when you have nothing but negativity to add.
People like to play - sometimes it might be beyond your ability to comprehend someone elses reasoning.
Furthest thing from nice I've seen on the forum in a while.

Really? Why do you bother replying to such things when you have nothing but negativity to add.
People like to play - sometimes it might be beyond your ability to comprehend someone elses reasoning.
Furthest thing from nice I've seen on the forum in a while.
Sorry if you don’t appreciate my musings.
I get just playing But when playing becomes violation I think that’s a little bit different.

I'm all for going long range. As long as you are not being a complete moron about doing so. As long as you are confident that you will not harm anyone or damage anything if you lose signal (these birds are programmed for you to choose to land or come back to home position/where controller is currently) then go for it!!! For example, if you are doing a long range flight along a highway, over housing communities, near airports, near military bases, and etcetera, you are being a moron and will get people ticked off and you might get fined and/or incarcerated. Basically use common sense. Do not ever post videos online unless it is a sanctioned event. Do not ask questions about it on forums like this because there are a lot of perfect do gooders that apparently never ever do anything wrong. If you have questions,, Google it.. You will find your answers,, i promise... Good luck and happy flying!

This sort of post was totally predictable.What's a spotter gonna do anyway ? Go and spend £450 on a drone that can fly 3 miles away and keep it within 200 metres of you if you want. How much does a sparrow weigh , how much does a Boeing 747 weigh ? Mavic mini weighs 249g. This sort of distance is really only achievable over open countryside. I think I'd take the general thrust of your point better if I were flying over central London.

Chill ! Why so serious ? How much do you charge to haunt a house ?

Reactions: passedpawn
I'm all for going long range. As long as you are not being a complete moron about doing so. As long as you are confident that you will not harm anyone or damage anything if you lose signal (these birds are programmed for you to choose to land or come back to home position/where controller is currently) then go for it!!! For example, if you are doing a long range flight along a highway, over housing communities, near airports, near military bases, and etcetera, you are being a moron and will get people ticked off and you might get fined and/or incarcerated. Basically use common sense. Do not ever post videos online unless it is a sanctioned event. Do not ask questions about it on forums like this because there are a lot of perfect do gooders that apparently never ever do anything wrong. If you have questions,, Google it.. You will find your answers,, i promise... Good luck and happy flying!
Exactly ! We're all grown ups here. I reckon a golf ball being whacked up a fairway is far more dangerous to life than my mini travelling at a fraction of the speed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21