DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yellowstone investigates drone photo of Grand Prismatic

So I was there a few months ago and this site specifically has a sign that says NO DRONES LOL

he’s full of sh1t ~. Great photo though. Believe me I wish I could have taken the mavic 2 out but I respected the rules.
My avatar photo is from a National Park, so he's full of it! They have signs posted. But like everything else, he chose to ignore the rules.

Citing noise for banning drones is silly and pure nonsense, you almost cannot hear them in the sky. They should also ban helicopters, cars, radios and people talking for the same reason. National and state parks should be places to go for flying drones because there is a lot of open space and much safer than flying near or in the populated areas. These rules are all about the money, nothing else.
Wow. Astoundingly ignorant about how National Parks work, are funded and protected. Let me ask one tiny, simple question that will show how stupid your "all about the money" statement was: If it's "all about the money", why wouldn't they have said "Hey, drones are welcome in all National Parks! Just pay the $15 special use permit when you enter." That would have made infinitely more money for them than an occasional fine.

Have rules, but smart rules. If you can fly a drone without impacting the enjoyment of other visitors, safely and respectfully, you should be able to do so. Parks are to be enjoyed...

Reactions: AeroJ
What is the reason drones are banned in National Parkes? They are typically pristine beautiful locations to share for all people. Drones provide a unique alternate airial view of these location. Four wheel drives are typically allowed look at the damage they do. The risk of a rouge drone injuring someone in a National Park is far smaller than the community at large. Clearly I don’t understand the rationale of banning drones in National Parks

What is the reason drones are banned in National Parkes? They are typically pristine beautiful locations to share for all people. Drones provide a unique alternate airial view of these location. Four wheel drives are typically allowed look at the damage they do. The risk of a rouge drone injuring someone in a National Park is far smaller than the community at large. Clearly I don’t understand the rationale of banning drones in National Parks

They are definitely worried about more than just the color of the drone:

NPS memo

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/aviationprogram/upload/unmanned-aircraft-in-national-parks.pdf

Sar linked to the statement in his post. NP _are_ for _everyone_ to enjoy. The NPS needs to weight the activity to the benefit of the many against the very few. If I want to blar 1000 watts of music from a sound system so that I can enjoy the park... they are not going to allow this. But I want to enjoy the park as _I_ want, right?

4 wheel vehicle's are typically only allowed on approved trails in NPs. So they don't cause any damage.

One of the bigger problems with drones in NP is the noise and danger that they create. Imagine 20 people flying drones in a popular viewing spot. These are people who have never flown a drone before. They have not read any directions either. These people can feel free to take as many photos as they want from a hand held camera.

1543099252745.png

Sar linked to the statement in his post. NP _are_ for _everyone_ to enjoy. The NPS needs to weight the activity to the benefit of the many against the very few. If I want to blar 1000 watts of music from a sound system so that I can enjoy the park... they are not going to allow this. But I want to enjoy the park as _I_ want, right?

4 wheel vehicle's are typically only allowed on approved trails in NPs. So they don't cause any damage.

One of the bigger problems with drones in NP is the noise and danger that they create. Imagine 20 people flying drones in a popular viewing spot. These are people who have never flown a drone before. They have not read any directions either. These people can feel free to take as many photos as they want from a hand held camera.

View attachment 54248

I was there earlier this month. Not a drone to be seen.

1543100359502.jpeg

Last edited:
Have rules, but smart rules. If you can fly a drone without impacting the enjoyment of other visitors, safely and respectfully, you should be able to do so. Parks are to be enjoyed...
How would that even begin to work? One person, flying one drone in Yellowstone won't hardly impact anyone. What about 100 people? Maybe a 1,000? Maybe 100,000 in any given summer? Where is the "too many" line? What about the effect of the noise on the normal behavior of wildlife? How many Great Grey owls can be injured after attacking a drone in Yellowstone or the Tetons? What about a Grizzly that abandons a needed kill right before hibernation because some idiot decides to get great video of a bear feeding out in a meadow? We've already had one drone crash into Grand Prismatic Spring. How many is too many? You see, it isn't just about impacting fellow visitors. That's huge and it matters, but it's far from the only concern.

Reactions: JDawg
No, you obviously don't. There are a multitude of possible effects of drones beyond impacting people with noise and safety. In fact, that is probably not the most important to the Park Service. I listed some potential ones quickly off the top of my head up a bit.

That is their best estimation, however, similarly trained people also said that about Mt St Helens. and were actually standing on/near it when it blew.
When YS blows...... it will Not be the end of the world. The US will be very affected but life will go on

When YS blows...... it will Not be the end of the world. The US will be very affected but life will go on
I know, it said so in mrsaltys link he posted as proof when he was claiming an eruption wont happen.
I think it stated that it would most likely be on the scale of Mt St Helens when it goes. When is the question. 100 years? 1000 years?

I would guess that most of those who are opposed to any regulations concerning drones in our National Parks think drilling in them is a good idea too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Salty
Seemed like the ban was complete, no deliberations on where drones could be okay.

With geofencing possible, couldn’t they have some limited footprints for drones to operate?

So that if they crash down to the ground, they won’t fall on people or down some ravine where drone debris won’t be impossible t9 retrieve?

Seemed like the ban was complete, no deliberations on where drones could be okay.

With geofencing possible, couldn’t they have some limited footprints for drones to operate?

So that if they crash down to the ground, they won’t fall on people or down some ravine where drone debris won’t be impossible t9 retrieve?
The problem with that is twofold: First, GPS "footprinting" obviously only applies to GPS equipped drones. That would not include the $49 toys from Walmart and bazillions of others that would be brought into every National Park across the nation. Secondly, the very places anyone wants to video are the exact places where most people congregate. Thinking about Yellowstone for instance, nobody would have any desire to video the dense forest stands where there is absolutely nothing to video. Everyone would be wanting to fly at Old Faithful, the geyser basins, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Fishing Bridge and all the other places that are really cool to see. And guess where the crowds are? Yup.

The problem with that is twofold: First, GPS "footprinting" obviously only applies to GPS equipped drones. That would not include the $49 toys from Walmart and bazillions of others that would be brought into every National Park across the nation. Secondly, the very places anyone wants to video are the exact places where most people congregate. Thinking about Yellowstone for instance, nobody would have any desire to video the dense forest stands where there is absolutely nothing to video. Everyone would be wanting to fly at Old Faithful, the geyser basins, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Fishing Bridge and all the other places that are really cool to see. And guess where the crowds are? Yup.

Ok then only allow geofences models.

A lot of national parks have different terrain.

Look at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco and across the bridge in Marin county.

Some of the most scenic places in the world.

I’m saying there might be some places in some national parks where there could be minimal chances of problems associated with drones occurr8ng.

I’m not saying there are or aren’t, just that the total ban they imposed right away was done without examining if they could work.

Of course they have no obligations to doing such a review or analysis. But when the parks are filmed for films or shows, do they grant rights to copters or planes which may be used?

Is there not a nonzero chance of such aircraft falling out of the sky and hurting people below?

Shouldn't he at least ask permission? He is a professional photographer, right? Shouldn't he know the rules already?
Yeah, pros doing commercial work know a permit is needed even to shoot photos or videos, so duh, any simpleton can do a quickie search to see the required permits and drone restrictions.

Film, Photography & Sound Recording Permits - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Nice that those who blatantly finger the laws have the "opportunity" to cough up big buck$ and spend some time in the grey-bar hotel ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom