DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yellowstone investigates drone photo of Grand Prismatic

I know, it said so in mrsaltys link he posted as proof when he was claiming an eruption wont happen.
So, still outright lying at this point about what I wrote, huh? I mean, it's been explained to you what I wrote, in plain English, by a couple of people so that even a third-grader could understand it, so at this point the only explanation is that you're being blatantly dishonest.

I wouldn't want to be Timothy McGurr:

Y’stone investigates drone photo of Grand Prismatic

A New York photographer is under fire after sharing an aerial image of Yellowstone National Park’s Grand Prismatic Spring on his Instagram page, where he has 717,000 followers.
Photographer Timothy McGurr, who’s better known by the online persona 13thWitness, told followers that he didn’t know drones were illegal in national parks.

“Unless I see specific signage or am told I can’t fly you better believe I will or I’ll certainly try to,” McGurr replied on Instagram to a critic. “I removed the post, something I’ve never done in my life.”

The photo, posted Nov. 6, included a long caption about the hours leading up to its capture and is now the subject of a federal investigation.

Timothy McGurr, a New York photographer known as 13thwitness, posted this aerial photo of Grand Prismatic Spring to his more than 700,000 Instagram followers. He removed it after public condemnation. Below the photo he shared an account of finding his way out of the park when returning to a locked entrance at West Yellowstone. Drones were banned from most national parks in 2014.

“I landed at the Billings, Montana, airport around midnight,” McGurr wrote in the now-deleted post. “I opted to drive straight to Yellowstone National Park through the night for four hours to catch PRISMATIC at sunrise.”
In the caption McGurr told followers he arrived at the West Entrance at 6:45 a.m. and “somehow managed to drive right into the park despite the seasonal winter closure” that he said he didn’t know about.

“Once inside I essentially had the entire YNP to myself,” McGurr said. “When exiting the park from the same entrance I entered I was greeted with a padlock and essentially locked in. I eventually found a way out.”
After receiving online criticism for ignoring National Park Service rules, McGurr removed the photo.

“I’ve never had to remove a post over some bulls--t before,” McGurr wrote. “I’m one part livid, two parts amazed by the hate people can project towards me for putting up a photo I basically traveled 24 hours straight for and that I’d been wanting to get for a few weeks.”
Drones were banned from national parks in 2014, according to the National Park Service.

“Drones are not allowed in the park,” a Yellowstone spokesperson told the News&Guide in a brief email. “We are aware of this, and rangers are looking into it.”
Other aerial photos of Grand Prismatic have been taken from airplanes, but critics of McGurr said he admitted to using a drone when he told his over 700,000 followers that he had the park to himself.

“Ignorance of the law is not a defense,” said Deby Dixon, a Gardiner, Montana, resident and wildlife photographer.

Dixon said she is in the park photographing almost daily, and she has noticed laws being ignored more often lately with the rise of visual-driven social media.

“There are really good people who love the park and come here and try to do the right thing, and they’re getting trampled by people who think they can do whatever they want,” Dixon said. “It ruins it for everyone else.”
The Park Service cites a variety of reasons for banning drones.

“Their use has resulted in noise and nuisance complaints from park visitors,” the Park Service states on its website.

Before the ban, park officials said drones were harassing wildlife, and some small drones even crashed into geysers in Yellowstone.
In 2014 Dutch tourist Theodorus Van Vliet crashed his drone into Grand Prismatic and was fined more than $3,000.

Drones have been lost in the Grand Canyon and have attempted to land on Mount Rushmore, the Park Service reports.

“Due to serious concerns about the negative impact that flying unmanned aircraft can have for safety of visitors, staff and wildlife, they have been restricted in all but a few parks,” the Park Service said.
Violation of the ban is a misdemeanor with a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

“NPS just wants money,” McGurr told a follower. “If I would have offered them 5K to fly for a photo, they would have certainly found a way to make it happen for me.”

McGurr said he’s responsible when flying and doesn’t believe what he did was wrong.

“I assume any and all risk/responsibility for my actions when trying to get photos should anything unfortunate happen as a result of it,” he wrote. “That’s what real photographers do.
“I’ve made foolish decisions, and this probably wasn’t one I’m particularly proud of but it happened and it’s over,” he wrote. “Lesson learned.”

Yellowstone officials did not provide any additional information about the investigation.

Where one goes many will follow. I'm British, just done eight weeks in USA and fully aware of the ban in all national parks.

The whole point is that if you let one person do it, you've got to let everyone do it, and that goes for any area that bans them. Sure, you're the only guy out there now, but picture being there in the middle of the summer with thousands of other people and a load of drones in the air. Sure, everyone's flying responsibly until there's a collision, then drones are lost and people get hurt. However stupid the rules seem, there's a reason they have them, and that reason is generally involves a past incident with liability.

Of course they have no obligations to doing such a review or analysis. But when the parks are filmed for films or shows, do they grant rights to copters or planes which may be used?

Is there not a nonzero chance of such aircraft falling out of the sky and hurting people below?
The chances of a manned aircraft crashing into and killing the people below is MORE possible than a drone doing it. Planes crash all the time.
I asked my daughter to do some calculations for me on the odds of drones crashing and wounding/killing. She said it would be a waste of time, because there is no data.
Then she explained the "law of small numbers" That basically says it is impossible to come to big conclusions with small or no numbers as part of the data.

The chances of a manned aircraft crashing into and killing the people below is MORE possible than a drone doing it. Planes crash all the time.
I asked my daughter to do some calculations for me on the odds of drones crashing and wounding/killing. She said it would be a waste of time, because there is no data.
Then she explained the "law of small numbers" That basically says it is impossible to come to big conclusions with small or no numbers as part of the data.

So she told you that the calculation was impossible but then you decided to assert an answer anyway. Classic.

The key part of prmath’s statement was that it’s “about to blow.” It just isn’t.

Why you can stop worrying Yellowstone's supervolcano is about to end the world
I NEVER said it is about to blow, all I have ever said is that it WILL erupt.
and that was confirmed by YOUR posted link. Your lack of comprehension does NOT make someone else a liar.

The key part of prmath’s statement was that it’s “about to blow.” It just isn’t.

Why you can stop worrying Yellowstone's supervolcano is about to end the world

Here is the clip from your link;

When the volcano does erupt, it's likely to be on a smaller scale that would more closely resemble Hawaii's Kilauea volcano eruption this summer, which caused a lava flow that forced evacuations and submerged neighborhoods but didn't result in the cataclysmic destruction of Yellowstone's past supereruptions. The last time Yellowstone experienced a lava flow was about 70,000 years ago.

What’s more, we’d probably have decades of warning between the first sign of an eruption and Yellowstone actually blowing its top, said Christy Till, a geologist and assistant professor at Arizona State University who has researched the volcano for the past six years. “That's the kind of time scale where we think something could happen to trigger an eruption,” she said. “It's not like it would happen tomorrow.”

So she told you that the calculation was impossible but then you decided to assert an answer anyway. Classic.
Oh she would probably be able to do calculations on manned aircraft, because there is PLENTY of data, Everyone knows of at least a couple major life ending plane crashes.
It was the drone calculations I was looking for that are impossible.

Oh she would probably be able to do calculations on manned aircraft, because there is PLENTY of data, Everyone knows of at least a couple major life ending plane crashes.
It was the drone calculations I was looking for that are impossible.

If you can only calculate one of two values then you cannot draw a conclusion on which is larger. Perhaps you should just have your daughter post for you since you obviously don't listen to her either.

Reactions: NoneTheWiser
If you can only calculate one of two values then you cannot draw a conclusion on which is larger. Perhaps you should just have your daughter post for you since you obviously don't listen to her either.
Isnt that what I said? The "law of small numbers" prohibits drawing any large conclusions?
And that there is plenty of data on manned aircraft, and almost none for drone incidents?

For those who dont follow, the danger of drones VS. aircraft or personal injury is Impossible to calculate. so there cant be argument about it without facts.

Isnt that what I said? The "law of small numbers" prohibits drawing any large conclusions?
And that there is plenty of data on manned aircraft, and almost none for drone incidents?

No - you said:

"The chances of a manned aircraft crashing into and killing the people below is MORE possible than a drone doing it."​

I have to maintain at least 2000 feet over Yellowstone National Park, in a manned aircraft.

If the engine quit, I am hopeful that I can glide away from the people. In fact, I seriously doubt that I will hurt them at all.

If I was to fly the drone illegally over the park, I would say the chance of me injuring some people is higher, because as automated as DJI products are, they still react weirdly at times, and may/will fly out of my control to who knows what.

In other word, in my 21,500 hrs of flying, I have yet to injure someone and have never crashed.

In my 15 hrs of drone flying, I have crashed once, and it would have been entirely possible for me to injure someone.

I, for one, can not imagine the noise of hundreds if not thousands of quadcopters in the summer, and support the ban.

IF.....your know you are in the wrong, for Heavens sake, Why post on YouTube? ‍♂️

No - you said:

"The chances of a manned aircraft crashing into and killing the people below is MORE possible than a drone doing it."​
I think it is ok to say that, because it has been proved, and it is completely true.
I wanted a statistic to compare that fact the the drone myth. THAT is what cannot be done with any confidence.

I think it is ok to say that, because it has been proved, and it is completely true.
I wanted a statistic to compare that fact the the drone myth. THAT is what cannot be done with any confidence.

How can it have been proved if you cannot calculate the probability for drones?

How can it have been proved if you cannot calculate the probability for drones?
LOL! Oh you!
Anyone can prove people have been killed by aircraft, no one can prove anyone has been killed by a drone.

So the probability of anyone being killed by a drone is zero?
Can anyone prove it is not? if no, there is no need to ever suggest it until it happens.
I am watching air disasters on the weather channel right now about one of the thousands of times an aircraft has killed people in the plane and on the ground.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute