DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yesterday Pool Party in Beverly Hills

LenSavage

Reactions
I was asked to attend and shoot a pool party in The Hills - Beverly Hills.
EVERYTHING in this was shot with the Mavic Pro - I removed the props, folded it and carried it around for the 'walking-shots'.
It would have been a long walk up a hill to go back to the van to grab the Osmo, so....

It's fun being around that much cute.

Crazy how different things are here in the Midwest. When we say we are having a pool party, it usually involves swimming.

?

Quick thinking on your feet to just use the MP for the shots. How did you carry the controller and phone?

I'm left-handed so drone folded held up next to my left shoulder and controller in my right hand - I rarely looked at it, in fact, I often turned it so that the subject could see what I was getting. Next time, I'll carry the Osmo too - just in case.
Speaking of the Osmo, here's a San Diego Old Town video I did with it:

Dang it!
My invite to Jacob's party must have gotten lost in the mail...

Nice job!

Reactions: LenSavage
Saw the Katana in a Saturday post reply. You might get a kick out of checking it out. I did. Never knew such a thing exhisted. It mounts the mavic 2 for handheld use of camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: LenSavage
Saw the Katana in a Saturday post reply. You might get a kick out of checking it out. I did. Never knew such a thing exhisted. It mounts the mavic 2 for handheld use of camera.
Good stuff - Thanks!

Nicely done LenSavage and for providing a good example to others to show how you can make a great video and not break the rules. There was no blatant flying over people nor anything that posed a significant risk. I always cringe when I see people post videos of flying over 100s of people at concerts or flying in total darkness. Besides the disregard for the rules and the dangers, they are just asking for some authority to "look them up for a little chit-chat."

Finally, my invitation didn't come in the mail either, crap, sorry I missed that party... The only person looking Jacob up will be me...in time for the next party!

Nicely done LenSavage and for providing a good example to others to show how you can make a great video and not break the rules. There was no blatant flying over people nor anything that posed a significant risk. I always cringe when I see people post videos of flying over 100s of people at concerts or flying in total darkness. Besides the disregard for the rules and the dangers, they are just asking for some authority to "look them up for a little chit-chat."

Finally, my invitation didn't come in the mail either, crap, sorry I missed that party... The only person looking Jacob up will be me...in time for the next party!
Thanks! I endeavor to not risk my 107 good standing. This party is just above an on-going project that I shoot every week or two:

Reactions: Brandaloo
I want to start off by say loudly..."I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DRONE SHERIFF"

First off Kudos on handheld shots and the over all video. I would have had a difficult time paying attention with all the petty blond distractions...LOL

I am a 107 pilot who does a lot of different footage. I recently started doing weddings and I have been told by several experienced pilots that under no circumstances can you fly over people, except your own flight crew. So party members meaning Wedding party or Pool party guest are not considered to be a part of the flight/mission crew. Even if you are given consent to fly over said party members that consent can supersede FAA regulations.

Any constructive comments, thoughts or concerns on this subject or regulation documentation that would provide clarification?

I want to start off by say loudly..."I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DRONE SHERIFF"

First off Kudos on handheld shots and the over all video. I would have had a difficult time paying attention with all the petty blond distractions...LOL

I am a 107 pilot who does a lot of different footage. I recently started doing weddings and I have been told by several experienced pilots that under no circumstances can you fly over people, except your own flight crew. So party members meaning Wedding party or Pool party guest are not considered to be a part of the flight/mission crew. Even if you are given consent to fly over said party members that consent can supersede FAA regulations.

Any constructive comments, thoughts or concerns on this subject or regulation documentation that would provide clarification?

Nice try.
The truth of the matter is: I DID NOT fly directly over any person while recording this event. PERIOD.
In the scenes where people SEEM to disappear beneath the drone, this was done with digital zoom in post.
You can zoom 4K up to 200% and still have HD or better which I can get away with for streaming but not for cinematic film shoots.
The guests were all inside the fence and my drone while props were spinning was only outside the fence.
I will do NOTHING to risk my 107 in good standing - because I'm not a hobbyist - this is my living.
But you keep watching - I know there are some bad guys out there that you can scold or shame into modifying their behavior ... and I guess that's a good thing.
BTW: I've been a photographer and videographer for almost 35 years and I'd rather take a beating that to take a wedding. Just sayin'.
And now you probably think I'm a jerk but I'm really not. I'm just a grumpy, focused geezer who, for the past few years has found a new way to position a camera.

Nice try.
The truth of the matter is: I DID NOT fly directly over any person while recording this event. PERIOD.
In the scenes where people SEEM to disappear beneath the drone, this was done with digital zoom in post.
You can zoom 4K up to 200% and still have HD or better which I can get away with for streaming but not for cinematic film shoots.
The guests were all inside the fence and my drone while props were spinning was only outside the fence.
I will do NOTHING to risk my 107 in good standing - because I'm not a hobbyist - this is my living.
But you keep watching - I know there are some bad guys out there that you can scold or shame into modifying their behavior ... and I guess that's a good thing.
BTW: I've been a photographer and videographer for almost 35 years and I'd rather take a beating that to take a wedding. Just sayin'.
And now you probably think I'm a jerk but I'm really not. I'm just a grumpy, focused geezer who, for the past few years has found a new way to position a camera.

That's awesome that you were able to use the zoom feature in that situations. But as I stated in my first sentence I was not trying to be the Drone Sheriff or shame anyone.

I was asking, what I thought was a legitimate question about the current regulations for flying over people. This video just basically just got me thinking about it again. I guess I should have been more clear...sorry if I came off as scolding you.

I have been told by seasoned drone 107 pilots that these to conflicting rules apply to 107.

1) You can fly over guest or party members as long as they are a small group and consenting
2) You CANNOT intentionally fly over people, period. With or without consent.

Who do you ask, is there an online resource to get answers by some sort of authoritative entity?

Nice try.

I think he was asking for advice not trying to bust you. Just saying

That's awesome that you were able to use the zoom feature in that situations. But as I stated in my first sentence I was not trying to be the Drone Sheriff or shame anyone.

I was asking, what I thought was a legitimate question about the current regulations for flying over people. This video just basically just got me thinking about it again. I guess I should have been more clear...sorry if I came off as scolding you.

I have been told by seasoned drone 107 pilots that these to conflicting rules apply to 107.

1) You can fly over guest or party members as long as they are a small group and consenting
2) You CANNOT intentionally fly over people, period. With or without consent.

Who do you ask, is there an online resource to get answers by some sort of authoritative entity?

Here's my take on it: If I was shooting/flying an event - say a wedding or other such gathering - and the principals specifically asked me to fly directly over them, I would just say no.
The view of the top of people's heads is not a very good angle anyway. A nice low or medium altitude orbit just outside of the gathering is better.
As an example, I can't imagine how flying directly above the pool party would have added anything to the video. Any time I see drone video from directly above a crowd, I cringe.
I have had Sea Gulls knock my drone out of the sky - I've had a drone just do a nice smooth uncontrollable decent into a tree. I'm glad it was a tree and not a person.
Think of it this way: If some Government Agency actually gave you permission to fly over a crowd and your drone - for any reason came in contact with any person, YOU are still liable - period. The Government is not going to assume that liability. Your insurance company will likely not assume that liability. Accept that its all on you.
If you are injured by somebody's powered device, is your first thought; 'I'm going to ask if he had permission' or 'I'm going to kick that jerk's butt' or 'Cha-ching - lawsuit'?
There are two kinds of drone pilots; those who have crashed and those who are GOING to.
99% of the time, drones do exactly what is expected and are told to do - until they don't. The high risk is not worth the limited reward. Don't risk it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229