DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another skin post - Carbon Orange (Taco)

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
First time I've skinned ... anything. Munged up a few areas that will never get fixed, but the worst issues were addressed with a hair drier and a smooth curved steel tool from the iFixIt kit.

The Taco adhesive seemed not quite sticky enough, especially for small bits going around corners. Hair drier helped there with pressure. All in all about 2 hours to do the job. (Still need to apply the rear arm "shoulder" skin bits after I install a reinforcement plate. See Kate's post for why).

I put the orange skin on the RC as well - but that will come off the face - it's just a distraction, IMO.

Kudos to Taco. By error I had ordered the battery/controller skins only. They sent be the body skin too - at no extra charge !!!

Now I just need warmer weather - -11°C and going down to -23°C tomorrow night...

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

"La Grande Orange", nice!!

Check out decalgirl. That's the kit I used and it looks great

It's done and it's fine. Just needed some tender loving hot air. I did like the solid state yellow from Decalgirl - but apparently the real thing doesn't do the photo justice. The pricing turned me off too. Although, full disclosure, if I hadn't screwed up my Taco order, I would have paid about the same as with Decal Girl in the end ... but at least I have a fourth battery skin should I add a battery - likely this spring when the flying gets serious!

Reactions: paalkr77
What are you going to do Alan, epoxy a piece of carbon fibre on there?

Haven't figured out the material yet. Something hard but supple (not brittle), I think. Hopefully amongst the scrap bits in the garage (which is due for spring cleaning anyway so a combined mission). And, yes, epoxy is the bond of choice with a light/moderate clamping pressure and care not to bond the shells together. A bit of tape and some exacto work afterwards.

I'd add a very thin metal plate under the tab too, but I doubt I can find anything just thick and thin enough.

Reactions: Pedro
First time I've skinned ... anything. Munged up a few areas that will never get fixed, but the worst issues were addressed with a hair drier and a smooth curved steel tool from the iFixIt kit.

The Taco adhesive seemed not quite sticky enough, especially for small bits going around corners. Hair drier helped there with pressure. All in all about 2 hours to do the job. (Still need to apply the rear arm "shoulder" skin bits after I install a reinforcement plate. See Kate's post for why).

I put the orange skin on the RC as well - but that will come off the face - it's just a distraction, IMO.

Kudos to Taco. By error I had ordered the battery/controller skins only. They sent be the body skin too - at no extra charge !!!

Now I just need warmer weather - -11°C and going down to -23°C tomorrow night...

View attachment 7586

View attachment 7587
Looks good, I thought about doing it to my Mavic I just haven't decided what color yet.

If you add a skin and later decide to take it off. Will it come off without messing up the Mavic?

If you add a skin and later decide to take it off. Will it come off without messing up the Mavic?

Allegedly they peel off without residue. I'd give it an alcohol wipe in any case. OTOH, I'm tempted to paint it directly too.

As to you other post (colour) I chose something to help me see the MP if ever I dumped it in the woods. I'm surprised some people are slapping on camo!

Has anyone tried skins from the SopiGaurd site? Looks like some of their skins (like brushed metal) are only $15 rather than most of the sites being $40. And it is still Mavic, controller , and 3 batteries.

for DJI Mavic Pro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej