DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Youtube videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyzak

Reactions
My understanding is that if you post a drone video on Youtube you need the 107. For the porpuses of posting Youtube videos on facebook or on this forum, if you designate the video as private, permisable without the 107 ?

My understanding is that if you post a drone video on Youtube you need the 107. For the porpuses of posting Youtube videos on facebook or on this forum, if you designate the video as private, permisable without the 107 ?
Only if your social media is monetized. Otherwise, no.

Just to be clear.
By monetorized you mean you recieve payment. So it is OK to post youtube videos on this site or facebook without the 107 if it's private ? Thank you

Just to be clear.
By monetorized you mean you recieve payment. So it is OK to post youtube videos on this site or facebook without the 107 if it's private ? Thank you
What I mean by monetized is receiving money from YouTube, FaceBook and/or other social media platforms.

If it's private do not post it. The users will not be able to see it anyway.

If you read the FAA rules on part 107 you will discover that if you receive any type of compensation for flying a drone, you must have a Part 107

I post my videos as "unlisted" on Youtube and so anyone with the link can view them, and only anyone with the link. This is a great way to share with families and friends. No monetization or sponsors. Video gets uploaded in 4K too which is great.

As you describe, you should be good to go but make sure you’re flying legally. Once you put it out there…

Reactions: Cafguy
You don't have to put your drone videos up as unlisted, if you do not receive money from your YouTube channel. As far as I'm aware, you can have public videos of drone flights on YouTube without a part 107 if your channel does not provide you any money. You'd know if your YouTube channel provides you money, eg is monetized. In order to be monetized on YouTube you have to have over 1000 subscribers and some other requirements.

But as others said, if you post any drone videos publicly, make sure that in the videos you aren't flying in areas where drone flying is not allowed.

Reactions: Torque and Dbez1
Since when does YT or making money from YT have anything to do with part 107 or not? C'mon this forum is a big fan of the rules, show me where you the rules say anything about posting the videos or making money off the videos. If you take off with your flight and your only intent is to fly recreational and have fun, once you capture the video from that flight, land, and remove the sd card, it doesn't matter what happens to that video from that point forward. If the video ends up on YT later next week, in the garbage can that night, at a church service next Sunday, or at a realtor who paid you for it next year because he like what he saw, the recreational video doesn't covert into a commercial video depending on it's disposition. You flew a recreational flight under the exemption, end of story. Prove that and you have nothing to worry about. That's my opinion.

Since when does YT or making money from YT have anything to do with part 107 or not? C'mon this forum is a big fan of the rules, show me where you the rules say anything about posting the videos or making money off the videos. If you take off with your flight and your only intent is to fly recreational and have fun, once you capture the video from that flight, land, and remove the sd card, it doesn't matter what happens to that video from that point forward. If the video ends up on YT later next week, in the garbage can that night, at a church service next Sunday, or at a realtor who paid you for it next year because he like what he saw, the recreational video doesn't covert into a commercial video depending on it's disposition. You flew a recreational flight under the exemption, end of story. Prove that and you have nothing to worry about. That's my opinion.
I totally agree with your analysis, about how things ought to be, but I am not sure that this is how "commercial use" is interpreted or viewed in a technical sense at the moment. Eg see in this article by Pilot Institute, What Does the FAA Consider as Commercial Drone Use? - Pilot Institute where it's stated, "Uploading aerial videos on your YouTube channel and having them monetized according to views will also be considered commercial use"

A good argument can I believe be made on this subject, about intent.

Reactions: Torque
I totally agree with your analysis, about how things ought to be, but I am not sure that this is how "commercial use" is interpreted or viewed in a technical sense at the moment. Eg see in this article by Pilot Institute, What Does the FAA Consider as Commercial Drone Use? - Pilot Institute where it's stated, "Uploading aerial videos on your YouTube channel and having them monetized according to views will also be considered commercial use"

I would agree with that as long as the aerial video is being used to promote your channel, it would be difficult for you to prove otherwise. Let's say you have a cooking channel and you have hundreds of videos with you preparing dishes in the kitchen. You go out one day and you have fun flying your drone in the local city park, you post it on the channel with the caption "Look Mom!" Is that a part 107 violation?

Reactions: Hermey

You are exactly right. You may have been been flying recreationally when you shot the video, but as soon you post that to your monetized account, you are required to have part 107. If your account is not monetized, no need for 107.

"The FAA Part 107 regulations are rules for drone operations for commercial purposes. Many who want to post their videos on YouTube balk at this and insist that they are not flying their drone for commercial purposes, but that it’s just a hobby. But under the FAA definition, commercial use includes any activities that generate direct or indirect income, or help a business in some way. This could include aerial photos and videos for advertisement, or for the surveillance of a commercial facility. With this in mind, videos that help gain viewers for your YouTube channel are certainly helping to promote your “business”, even if it’s not making very much money."

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Just to be clear.
Correct. Post anywhere you want, as long as you are not receiving any type of payment for the content.

is OK to post youtube videos on this site or facebook without the 107 if it's private ?
Correct. Post anywhere you want, as long as you are not receiving any type of payment for the content.
As I instructed the OP, if the video is set to private there is no reason to post it because it cannot be viewed.
1701651016366.png
The video must be listed as public or unlisted. Unlisted will allow anyone with the link to view it.

Reactions: Hermey
Negative. The fact that you receive "payment for the content" or not is irrelevant. Google pays creators for subscribers who watch adverts and traffic, Google does not pay for the content of your videos since they generally don't care if you post drones or cooking or horses.

Also if you promote your business by posting drone videos on a social media platform and you don't get paid at all, you still need to have your part 107 to launch your drone with the intent of taking videos in furtherance of your videos.

• Haha
Reactions: Torque and Romi
I totally agree with your analysis, about how things ought to be,

Give that another thought.

If the distinction between recreational and commercial use only applied during the actual flight, then there would be absolutely zero commercial flights, and no one would bother jumping through the p107 hoops.

And I'd be making money with my recreational Real Estate shoots.

Negative. The fact that you receive "payment for the content" or not is irrelevant.

This is factually incorrect. It's relevant to whether or not a flight meets the necessary restrictions for a recreational flight. The FAA, which is authorized under the law to interpret the regulations, says so.

You may wish it was irrelevant, but you're not in any position of authority to decide such things.

I would agree with that as long as the aerial video is being used to promote your channel, it would be difficult for you to prove otherwise. Let's say you have a cooking channel and you have hundreds of videos with you preparing dishes in the kitchen. You go out one day and you have fun flying your drone in the local city park, you post it on the channel with the caption "Look Mom!" Is that a part 107 violation?

Yes.

It's driving additional traffic to your channel, and you make money because of it. That's the very definition of commercial use.

Sorting this out is simple. Create another YT channel that's not monetized, and post your recreational videos there.

Yes.

It's driving additional traffic to your channel, and you make money because of it. That's the very definition of commercial use.

Sorting this out is simple. Create another YT channel that's not monetized, and post your recreational videos there.
Is the law? Create a non-monetized channel? Same for TikTok? Post the law please so we can see how this is tracked, W-2 perhaps?

What happens when the channel gets monetized later and that video starts driving traffic to the channel?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman