DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Yukon River Breakup video

Nice! Reminds me of break-up on the Albany River in an isolated community near James Bay I used to work in many years ago long before drones existed. It’s amazing to witness the power of the huge chunks of ice flowing down the river.

Chris

Mesmerizing!

I especially like the shot about :56-1:03 where your drone is matching the ice movement. It fools the eye that the ice is stationary, it’s the bridge supports that are moving… sort of!

But the whole piece is very cool, and another reminder that landscape is HUGE in Alaska!

Reactions: OdysseyShane
Mesmerizing!

I especially like the shot about :56-1:03 where your drone is matching the ice movement. It fools the eye that the ice is stationary, it’s the bridge supports that are moving… sort of!

But the whole piece is very cool, and another reminder that landscape is HUGE in Alaska!
The Mississippi RIver is a couple hundred miles longer but I'm guessing the Yukon breakup is more interesting :).

Reactions: SethB
I agree, it is an unusual and interesting effect.

Great video! I have a 400+ mile canoe trip on the Noatak coming up in late June. After watching your video I’m monitoring the ice there….

Howard

Great video! I have a 400+ mile canoe trip on the Noatak coming up in late June. After watching your video I’m monitoring the ice there….

Howard
One word. Bear spray.

Reactions: Howard70
One word. Bear spray.
That's two words.... But thanks for the advice! We're definitely taking bear spray on the trip.

Also, just saw that most of the Noatak is open, bit of ice jammed up down at the mouth but decreasing daily. Seasonal things happen fast up in your neck of the woods, don't they?

Howard

Howard

That's two words.... But thanks for the advice! We're definitely taking bear spray on the trip.

Also, just saw that most of the Noatak is open, bit of ice jammed up down at the mouth but decreasing daily. Seasonal things happen fast up in your neck of the woods, don't they?

Howard

Howard
Everything except the setting summer sun.

Does one application of bear spray work, or do you have to keep reapplying it through the day like you do bug spray? :D
And I should note this is a joke. Bear spray is applied to the bear, not yourself. Apparently enough people have applied it like bug spray that a park worker thought I should make this perfectly clear.

I guess I should have expected that, given how some people behave in national parks. Still oddly disappointed in humanity, though. The instructions are printed right on the bottle, FFS.

Does one application of bear spray work, or do you have to keep reapplying it through the day like you do bug spray? :D
I promise after one application you’ll find no need for a second… humorously people of actually sprayed themselves with it

Bear spray is essentially pepper spray and even in light doses is super irritating on the eyes and for me, extremely hard breathing it. We were in a situation with a tourist that was freaked out by a nearby grizzly and kept talking about spraying it as it continued to approach us while we cautiously backed up. Finally my wife told her to give everyone notice so they could leave her alone because the wind was in our face and it would have drifted back toward us. Never spray that **** into the wind. If a bear is charging it won't stop it. If it's not charging get upwind of the bear if you can. Otherwise just shoot yourself.

Reactions: Howard70
Bear spray is essentially pepper spray and even in light doses is super irritating on the eyes and for me, extremely hard breathing it. We were in a situation with a tourist that was freaked out by a nearby grizzly and kept talking about spraying it as it continued to approach us while we cautiously backed up. Finally my wife told her to give everyone notice so they could leave her alone because the wind was in our face and it would have drifted back toward us. Never spray that **** into the wind. If a bear is charging it won't stop it. If it's not charging get upwind of the bear if you can. Otherwise just shoot yourself.
Shooting the bear is not an option?

I’ve used bear spray on aggressive dogs while cycling in New Mexico and I’ve learned to try and computed resultant vector force of wind angle, my speed and direction; along with the dog’s angle of attack. Unfortunately I fail frequently - thus occasionally riding through that slightly misty orange cloud…..
That stuff is tenacious and seems activated by water if you try and wash it off your skin. The thought of spraying it on to keep bears away brings back painful memories.

Shooting the bear is not an option?
HAH! First off, you get in less trouble if you shoot yourself....but yeah...if you're threatened then of course...feel free...if you happen to have a shotgun with slugs in it. Anything less and it's probably a waste of time. Then again, if your life is threatened you can shoot people too!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis