DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone have any idea when DJI will update DJI Go 4 and fix the app crash issue for Android users?

cderoche

Reactions
I've sent countless emails back and forth with their tech support, and they have no answers of any kind for me. Not even an idea. Yet online reviews of their app in the Google play store show practically 9 out of 10 people with Android are having the exact same issue. Seems like the only Android guys that aren't are the ones running older operating systems, older than Android 7 Nougat.

Last edited:
I've sent countless emails back and forth with their tech support, and they have no answers of any kind for me. Not even an idea. Yet online reviews of their app in the Google play store show practically 9 out of 10 people with Android are having the exact same issue. Seems like the only Android guy that aren't are the ones running older operating systems, older than Android 7 Nougat.

It seems to be an issue with Nougat OS and DJI hasn't been able to figure out how to work around it yet.

Reactions: MacPap and cderoche
No inside info here, just my own thoughts from working on various platforms, including apple and android, over the years.

I think DJI will eventually solve the problems with android. They could make a dramatic improvement at any time, say, by fixing a bug that increases stability across all of android. But the issue with android is a cultural one involving their prioritization of resources. I think it will be a gradual increase in the number of stable, later models of android phones and tablets.

It's also possible that they could drop android entirely, but I doubt that is going to happen.

Again, just my guesses here.

Reactions: cderoche
I'm in the same boat as you.

This is what is working for me at the moment.
I haven't updated to 4.0.7 as I don't have a Phantom or DJI goggles (no other bug fixes noted in their release)

So DJI GO-4 version 4.0.6
- Sony Xperia XZ Android 7.0
-Switching phone to airplane mode and GPS on
- Turn Cache Locally off in the RC menu
- Do not use the still photo function
(as it will still cache to the phone even though the setting is off .... I have advised DJI)

I have almost 100% stable flights using this setup.
The only locked screen vision I am getting now is if I accidentally bump the photo button on the remote.

We are definitely the poor cousins in the DJI scheme.
We don't get filming options available to the iOS crowd (nowhere in the Android menu can you choose 30fps or 60fps to match vision with a POV camera for instance)

DJI aren't interested in Android....

Reactions: lone droner
I'm in the same boat as you.

This is what is working for me at the moment.
I haven't updated to 4.0.7 as I don't have a Phantom or DJI goggles (no other bug fixes noted in their release)

So DJI GO-4 version 4.0.6
- Sony Xperia XZ Android 7.0
-Switching phone to airplane mode and GPS on
- Turn Cache Locally off in the RC menu
- Do not use the still photo function
(as it will still cache to the phone even though the setting is off .... I have advised DJI)

I have almost 100% stable flights using this setup.
The only locked screen vision I am getting now is if I accidentally bump the photo button on the remote.

We are definitely the poor cousins in the DJI scheme.
We don't get filming options available to the iOS crowd (nowhere in the Android menu can you choose 30fps or 60fps to match vision with a POV camera for instance)

DJI aren't interested in Android....
Not entirely true. The CrystalSky Monitors are on an Android OS, and so the is the P4P+'s monitor.

DJI GO-4 crashed on my Galaxy Note 4 during most flights.

I have found great success with Litchi, and is now my default flight control software.

Reactions: EsiMavic
It was in relation to your comment about DJI not caring about Android.
Well, in relation to that, I've had my drone 2 months now and have had zero assistance from DJI with my Android device other than their recommendation to downgrade to a much older phone or migrate to iOS.
A quick look in the Google Play Store at the. 2.8 star rating for the GO-4 app will tell you all you need to know.

I'm not sure how old the firmware in those two monitors you mentioned is, but I'll bet it is not 7.0

Well, in relation to that, I've had my drone 2 months now and have had zero assistance from DJI with my Android device other than their recommendation to downgrade to a much older phone or migrate to iOS.
A quick look in the Google Play Store at the. 2.8 star rating for the GO-4 app will tell you all you need to know.

I'm not sure how old the firmware in those two monitors you mentioned is, but I'll bet it is not 7.0
Doesn't really matter how old it is. Just that it is a closed and controlled system. No fragmentation. Easy to make it stable under those conditions. Downside is you can't add 3rd party apps to the system.

Doesn't really matter how old it is. Just that it is a closed and controlled system. No fragmentation. Easy to make it stable under those conditions. Downside is you can't add 3rd party apps to the system.
Older version devices before Android 7.0 seem mostly stable by the reviews in the Google Play Store.
Almost all people posting there have newer devices.

You can't claim 9/10 Android users have crashes by looking at who complains about crashes on Play Store feedback.
It's never crashed on my Samsung S5, sometimes I get odd things like map in corner disappears or stopping the recording seems sluggish.
Usually find there's 5 or 6 things running in background I forgot to shut down.

You can't claim 9/10 Android users have crashes by looking at who complains about crashes on Play Store feedback.
It's never crashed on my Samsung S5, sometimes I get odd things like map in corner disappears or stopping the recording seems sluggish.
Usually find there's 5 or 6 things running in background I forgot to shut down.

Your model Samsung would be on Android 6.0 Marshmallow??

As I mentioned, it's people on newer devices running 7.0 that are having difficulties....

In my own case, I close all open apps,
run in airplane mode,
turn off Cache Locally and then the phone doesn't lock, only occasional pixelation issues every now and then.

Also we are still missing out on functions that iOS users get in their app.

I am not sure how priorities lie with DJI, but I am in the "hardcore android user apple hater bought ipad mini 4 and never had any crashes ever since" boat. Cost me €500,- but couldn't be happier with the results.

Reactions: SeaComms
I am not sure how priorities lie with DJI, but I am in the "hardcore android user apple hater bought ipad mini 4 and never had any crashes ever since" boat. Cost me €500,- but couldn't be happier with the results.
LOL. Me too.. but iPad Air 2 for me!

Have had a Galaxy, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, Tab4 and am typing this on my S7 (and no current plans for an S8). I now have an iPad Air 2 that has been used for the Mavic and I have also browsed the DJI forums through the app.

Come to think of it I have not looked at the S6 recently so not sure what software it's running, might not be on nughat

There is no "app crash issue for android users" they can "fix" just in a pinch.

A few device/software combinations don't work well, which is bound to happen due to android fragmentation, but sooo many others work perfectly fine.

I've used about 6 different Android devices with the app and never had any recurrent issue on any of them.

DJI GO-4 crashed on my Galaxy Note 4 during most flights.

I have found great success with Litchi, and is now my default flight control software.
I run note 4 and since use the bottom usb instead of side I have not crashed once, I mean the app and the mavic

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998