DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone have any idea when DJI will update DJI Go 4 and fix the app crash issue for Android users?

That isn't usually the problem, the core code doesn't change much in my experience. You don't have to look beyond the range of CPU/GPU combinations and the additional customizations and apps that most manufacturers layer onto their devices.

iOS are and always have been incredibly easy to QA as you can test on every device that you will support, can't get even vaguely close to that with Android and even when you pick a subset to test against and 'approve' it only takes a firmware push from the manufacturer to change the playing field again...

At least with Crystalsky, DJI have full control so they should be able to support that to simplay levels of reliability to iOS, with no excuses :)

I really wish a third party would copy cat DJI Go 4 and maybe some of the nice Litchi features, and offer a free version to us all, or .99 cents for no ads something like that.

I would settle for a 100% stable Android version even if it was short a few features for now. Just wanna fly the thing without an app crash with stuff I already own. Spent enough money already and it's advertised to run on Android. The crystal sky looks nice but I may as well buy an Apple tablet and a sun hood for half of what that thing costs. And at least the Apple tablet can be used for other things. To me they owe Android users a Crystal Sky for a huge discount to be able to fly normally.

Agreed, the Nexus 6P either crashes or bogs down every flight running stock pure Nougat 7.1.2. Spent almost $900 bucks on an iPhone 7 Plus, problem solved. I'm deeply rooted in the Android ecosystem but thanks to DJI, I'm going to slowly switch to iOS. First thing, figure out the best way to switch to Apple Music, currently have the YouTube Red subscription.... I would avoid Crystal Sky if it is Android based... lol. Android = never ending beta (more like alpha). I'll keep my 6P just because I like to tinker, but I wouldn't trust it with my drone. Not so much of losing the drone, but the liability if it should hit someone or someone's property when the Android device decides to say F-you. For that, 900 bucks is a small price to pay.

I've sent countless emails back and forth with their tech support, and they have no answers of any kind for me. Not even an idea. Yet online reviews of their app in the Google play store show practically 9 out of 10 people with Android are having the exact same issue. Seems like the only Android guys that aren't are the ones running older operating systems, older than Android 7 Nougat.
I had several app crashes (nearly 1/flight) but now I am happy!! No crash in 30 flights.
Recipe:
- close all applications
- verify 2GBytes system space free
- airplane mode

Reactions: lone droner
Because The GO4 app was coded based on android 5.5, I predict dji will develop a new app altogether. Btw, dji is not the only ones having trouble with android 7.0.

In the meantime....do yourself a favor and rollback to android 6.0.

Last edited:
I had several app crashes (nearly 1/flight) but now I am happy!! No crash in 30 flights.
Recipe:
- close all applications
- verify 2GBytes system space free
- airplane mode

I use Greenify, and have over 20GB free space. Haven't tried airplane mode yet. I have an LG V20 VS995, which device are you using? I just ordered a refurbed Acer Iconia 8" with MediaTek processor since the company I work for gave me an Amazon gift card...

I use Greenify, and have over 20GB free space. Haven't tried airplane mode yet. I have an LG V20 VS995, which device are you using? I just ordered a refurbed Acer Iconia 8" with MediaTek processor since the company I work for gave me an Amazon gift card...
Of course the specific device can be critical, I have a Galaxy S5

Because The GO4 app was coded based on android 5.5, I predict dji will develop a new app altogether. Btw, dji is not the only ones having trouble with android 7.0.

In the meantime....do yourself a favor and rollback to android 6.0.
I love the educated responses. :)

Reactions: cderoche
I had constant disconnects when using the small USB cable on the side of the controller (iPhone). I just disconnected it and use the USB on the bottom of the remote with my phone. At first I thought the APP was crashing, but it turned out to be a bad cable. Hopefully it works for you.

I'm with you, @cderoche... Litchi seems able to do it. Really, I think it's simply a business decision on DJI's part to underinvest in the necessary resources to do it right. Frustrating, but it's really a simple problem to solve, if they wanted to.

Ok. This is the way I see it. We know by the fact that some android phones work with some android os versions, that it requires quite a bit of work from DJI to get everything working - work for which there is no direct compensation.

We know that DJI has just released an android based 'crystalsky' tablet - presumably this works great. As it is their tablet it is easy to make it work well with their apps and of course people buy the product from them.

Assuming we will see Mavic friendly versions of the crystalsky, DJI has even less incentive to get android in smartphones working well. The better job they do the less chance of people buying the add-on.

The fact that virtually no one gets a decent experience out of Android Nougat rather implies that development shifted away from optimizing dji go software on android to creating their own optimized android hardware some time ago.

So I ain't holding my breath and decided to get an iPad mini 4.

I'm with you, @cderoche... Litchi seems able to do it. Really, I think it's simply a business decision on DJI's part to underinvest in the necessary resources to do it right. Frustrating, but it's really a simple problem to solve, if they wanted to.
I hear Litchi has been crashing on Nougat too. Not as often, but then again, Litchi costs money so not as many use it as DJI Go.

I love the educated responses. :)
Why develop it for such an outdated OS?

Nice if you are able to roll back to 6.0, but not possible on my phone and nor would I want to for all the things I use it for.

Same as all the others here, I just want an app that works on the device I have for the drone I bought....

Why develop it for such an outdated OS?

Nice if you are able to roll back to 6.0, but not possible on my phone and nor would I want to for all the things I use it for.

Same as all the others here, I just want an app that works on the device I have for the drone I bought....
It probably wasn't outdated at the time the app was conceived.

It may be a pure coincidence, but just in case it isn't, I'll leave this here...

For me, DJI Go4 has been crashing every 2-5 minutes during flights. It has never had one single flight without crashing. I have also been experiencing some other wonky things such as alerts that the app has an update, but there is no update when I open play store, or the "update" fails.

3 days ago, I received an alert that there was an update. I opened play store, and it still said I had an update, but it was dated 19 April. So I took it. Launched the app and received an error message about an unsupported resolution and the app closed. I could not get it to open.

I have a Galaxy S7 on Nougat, so changing the resolution is an option for me. I was running it on WQHD (2560 x 1440) because this is the resolution required to use my Gear VR, but I thought what the hell, lets try it. Changed my resolution to 1920 x 1080. The app still closed immediately, but I no longer received the error about resolution.

I tried wiping data and cache, but got nowhere. So I uninstalled the app and reinstalled.

7 full flights later, and the app hasn't force closed on me once since.

TL;DR - Changed res to 1920 x 1080, reinstalled app. Problem went away for me. Not sure if its related. Good luck.

I've sent countless emails back and forth with their tech support, and they have no answers of any kind for me. Not even an idea. Yet online reviews of their app in the Google play store show practically 9 out of 10 people with Android are having the exact same issue. Seems like the only Android guys that aren't are the ones running older operating systems, older than Android 7 Nougat.
Hi,
I am having the same issue when flying, the app crashes and I lose my footage. I also start panicking thinking the Mavic is going to crash. For the amount I paid this shouldn't even happen...I hope they fix it because I am not prepared to pay on an IOS just for that. DJI - a bit disappointed!

In Android 7.0, you can go into Settings->battery and make sure that Power Saving Mode is off or at least disabled for GO4.

On my LG V20 I have two power saving settings, Battery Saver (At 15% battery level) and Game Battery saver, (adjust video quality in games to save battery).
I never fly with my phone with anything under 90% phone battery and DJI Go 4 isn't a game app, so would turning these off this have any effect in my case?

iPad mini 4 is on my wish list......
And DJI goggles..
And ND filters...
And a decent PC for editing...
And a decent monitor to go with my new decent PC

**** this is an expensive hobby!
You aint kiddin!

My 10 year old Dell won't handle any decent editing software and 4K I can even do playback without issues on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying