DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I fly further than restricted area?

Grey Wolf, actually I don't live my life in fear of the FAA or any other agency for that matter. They are welcome to come knock on my door anytime they wish. Flying over a mile away is not illegal if I have a line of sight on the drone. And yes I have a spotter using binoculars to keep an eye out. I also don't have a problem putting my telephone number out on a message board. It's sad to see people like you who live the remainder of their life in fear from such nonsense. If they didn't want you flying over a mile, the FAA would restrict the manufacture from ever letting the drone go further. Look at Europe as an example. If they don't want you going further then you won't be able to go further unless you re-write your software. No, I don't have insurance on the drone, nor do I ever plan to. I'm not flying it over crowds of people or even animals for that matter. I didn't have plans of posting to YouTube, but after reading your nonsense of a post, I'm most definitely going to post to YouTube now! Please invite the FAA over to my place anytime you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

perhaps all questions should be considered as hyperthetical questions.. my spell checker tries to correct this to hypercritical.. he he

maybe it has more sense than i do.. :)

trog

Reactions: SuperDave
Grey Wolf, actually I don't live my life in fear of the FAA or any other agency for that matter. They are welcome to come knock on my door anytime they wish. Flying over a mile away is not illegal if I have a line of sight on the drone. And yes I have a spotter using binoculars to keep an eye out. I also don't have a problem putting my telephone number out on a message board. It's sad to see people like you who live the remainder of their life in fear from such nonsense. If they didn't want you flying over a mile, the FAA would restrict the manufacture from ever letting the drone go further. Look at Europe as an example. If they don't want you going further then you won't be able to go further unless you re-write your software. No, I don't have insurance on the drone, nor do I ever plan to. I'm not flying it over crowds of people or even animals for that matter. I didn't have plans of posting to YouTube, but after reading your nonsense of a post, I'm most definitely going to post to YouTube now! Please invite the FAA over to my place anytime you wish.

Ok I will.
People with bad attitudes towards rules and regulations about flying drones, will kill it for all of us.
They think they are above the law. In the event of a crash and injury, you could be sued for everything you own.
But if you think you are above that, then go right ahead!

Reactions: UAV Man
I think we need to accept we live in a world where some give a shoot and some don't. Short term gains are more important to some and long term future for others..... I keep hearing the words 'Drone Police', but if you are all flying over peoples properties or in areas without permission does that make you criminals or peadophiles, maybe terrorists??

You decide....

To you I'm sure I'm all the above. The Drone police south park reference is perfect for this situation!

To you I'm sure I'm all the above. The Drone police south park reference is perfect for this situation!

You keep clutching to your 'south park' references dude.... I feel you wish we look like the character to make you feel a little bit more adequate. But I hate to ruin the image but I'm a good looking 6'3 successful bloke working as a national sales director in professional sport and health......

But keep the MEMES coming always love a good giggle, sweetie XX

I don't give a shoot, the US is a mess with the FAA.... Just hope they keep away from Canada...

You keep clutching to your 'south park' references dude.... I feel you wish we look like the character to make you feel a little bit more adequate. But I hate to ruin the image but I'm a good looking 6'3 successful bloke working as a national sales director in professional sport and health......

But keep the MEMES coming always love a good giggle, sweetie XX

Hahahaha patting yourself on the back .. buddy you are not the only successful bloke here .. lol 6'3" good looking... lol this ain't no match.com mostly dudes here. If ur coming to Canada or even here believe me ur attitude will land u in a lot of trouble ..

Reactions: Romi
Ok I will.
People with bad attitudes towards rules and regulations about flying drones, will kill it for all of us.
They think they are above the law. In the event of a crash and injury, you could be sued for everything you own.
But if you think you are above that, then go right ahead!
I think a lot of people get mixed up on what are rules and what are guide lines. It seems to me that if you fly for Hobby then these are just safety guidelines
FLY FOR FUN
Safety Guidelines

• Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

Fly for Work/Business
Operating Rules:
  • Class G airspace*
  • Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)*
  • Must fly under 400 feet*
  • Must fly during the day*
  • Must fly at or below 100 mph*
  • Must yield right of way to manned aircraft*
  • Must NOT fly over people*
  • Must NOT fly from a moving vehicle*

The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
Can you actually show me a law that says HOBBYIST must stay under 400 ft and in line of site.
There may be a new law but I haven't found it.
Don't get section 107 mixed up for Hobbyist
And I bet kykayak is a Hobbyist and doesn't get paid to fly.

Last edited:
perhaps all questions should be considered as hyperthetical questions.. my spell checker tries to correct this to hypercritical.. he he

maybe it has more sense than i do.. :)

trog

The word you seek is hypothetical (from hypothesis). You were just too far off for the spell checker ;-)

Not to be to hypercritical about it...

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Watty and UAV Man
Hahahaha patting yourself on the back .. buddy you are not the only successful bloke here .. lol 6'3" good looking... lol this ain't no match.com mostly dudes here. If ur coming to Canada or even here believe me ur attitude will land u in a lot of trouble ..
Can't wait for the Canadian trouble buddy, aye.... Look forward to wrestling those moose and partying with the beaver.... Maybe tickle a bear or two.... Dam is going to be fun.... Oops typo [emoji6]

PS. if you fancy a drink and romantic meal let us know XXX

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: dam
I think a lot of people get mixed up on what are rules and what are guide lines. It seems to me that if you fly for Hobby then these are just safety guidelines
FLY FOR FUN
Safety Guidelines

• Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

Fly for Work/Business
Operating Rules:
  • Class G airspace*
  • Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)*
  • Must fly under 400 feet*
  • Must fly during the day*
  • Must fly at or below 100 mph*
  • Must yield right of way to manned aircraft*
  • Must NOT fly over people*
  • Must NOT fly from a moving vehicle*

The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
Can you actually show me a law that says HOBBYIST must stay under 400 ft and in line of site.
There may be a new law but I haven't found it.
Don't get section 107 mixed up for Hobbyist
And I bet kykayak is a Hobbyist and doesn't get paid to fly.
WOW what an awesome answer.....

Thank you, but to read between the lines are you condoning the dangerous actions?

Last edited:
Everything went well. Had a pleasant day flying around. I am just flying for fun. Although I'm looking into getting my 107 because i have plans for the future that would require it. Never took the bird over 400 ft. Didn't have a need to yesterday. I incorrectly worded the post yesterday. Rather than asking how to fly beyond restricted area, I should have ask how to turn off maximum distance. The software was restricting my range and I had the need to fly beyond the restricted range.

Red river gorge is located in the same area as Natural Bridge. It's a very wooded area and not many people around. Especially now that it's cold. I try to be as safe as possible and always keep safety in mind anytime I fly. I'm really liking my Mavic Pro and hope to have many more flights in it's future.. It's a great bird and it was well worth the wait. Despite what some think, I'm always a safe flyer and not looking to break the laws when flying. I consider being able to fly my drone a privilege and will continue to pursue my 107 commercial license.

Thanks again to all for your assistance in helping me find where I turn off max distance. Beyond the fuss, there are still some great people on this forum that are out to help each other!

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard in Ky
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13