DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro rear lights?? I have flown the whole dji line.....first post here!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

a45b19aa12f6f3be2df7ee5d6bf8f76b.jpg

FYI, BLUE is NOT an aviation color, and as you are placing them as night or low light navigation aids it might be best to stick with RED for port, GREEN for starboard, and WHITE on the rear. As to placement the front landing legs are flat and at the correct angel for the lights to cover 90º side to front with a slight down angle. The white strobe can be placed in the rear on the flat spot just above the status light. This arrangement will give the best coverage with the correct lights. I always say if you are going to do something do it right, no half-stepping. My lights are in the post and I will attach them with Velcro as they are so lightweight. Just my .02.

Reactions: Jaysjob and Khy
FYI, BLUE is NOT an aviation color, and as you are placing them as night or low light navigation aids it might be best to stick with RED for port, GREEN for starboard, and WHITE on the rear. As to placement the front landing legs are flat and at the correct angel for the lights to cover 90º side to front with a slight down angle. The white strobe can be placed in the rear on the flat spot just above the status light. This arrangement will give the best coverage with the correct lights. I always say if you are going to do something do it right, no half-stepping. My lights are in the post and I will attach them with Velcro as they are so lightweight. Just my .02.

Yes I agree that would be the correct way. As my night flying airplanes are set up that way. But as all dji drones have always been green in rear and red up front. So I will mimic this on this drone as well as to not get more confused lol

I mounted three Flytron lites (all white) on the rear, and sides. Very bright, easy to charge and use. Using industrial velcro to attach them. You can also see the raised landing gear, which are light and simple. I also attach my Marco Polo tracker to the rear landing gear. All of this adds up to 38 grams: landing gear, marco polo, 3x flytron LEDs. You can find the LEDs at ReadyMadeRC. Fast shipping, at least faster than Flytron.

Caveat: I've not flown with these yet, too much cold and snow for the past several days. But looking forward to getting some more visual range out of this setup.20170105_205855.jpg 20170105_205855.jpg

Attachments

• 20170105_210039.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 20170105_215253.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Yes I agree that would be the correct way. As my night flying airplanes are set up that way. But as all dji drones have always been green in rear and red up front. So I will mimic this on this drone as well as to not get more confused lol

Spot on. No point trying to confuse myself with Christmas lights

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using MavicPilots mobile app

I will turn off the Mavic's red arm light so as to not conflict with the added nav lights. :)

Reactions: jointeffort
I mounted three Flytron lites (all white) on the rear, and sides. Very bright, easy to charge and use. Using industrial velcro to attach them. You can also see the raised landing gear, which are light and simple. I also attach my Marco Polo tracker to the rear landing gear. All of this adds up to 38 grams: landing gear, marco polo, 3x flytron LEDs. You can find the LEDs at ReadyMadeRC. Fast shipping, at least faster than Flytron.

Caveat: I've not flown with these yet, too much cold and snow for the past several days. But looking forward to getting some more visual range out of this setup.View attachment 3639 View attachment 3639
Looks good, especially like the rear landing leg marco Polo mount, now have mine on the side where you have one of the strobes. Just a question, why not go with red/green on the sides so you can ID A/C orientation faster? Or White/Red as you already have the white ones?

See here: Flytron leds - LOS.

I'm just putting together a self powered set with Volo leds which are sooo much brighter than the Flytrons, will post a video soon, just charging the 180mah lipo.

This video has the Volos (solid) and the Flytrons (flashing), the Volos are at least twice as bright as the Flytrons in real life. :)

Just the Volos here:

Attachments

• 20161101_202238_resized.jpg
    20161101_202238_resized.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: vdubbin1967
See here: Flytron leds - LOS.

I'm just putting together a self powered set with Volo leds which are sooo much brighter than the Flytrons, will post a video soon, just charging the 180mah lipo.

This video has the Volos (solid) and the Flytrons (flashing), the Volos are at least twice as bright as the Flytrons in real life. :)

Just the Volos here:

Weight??

Just need to tidy it up, mount it and try it tomorrow..

Attachments

• 20170106_190427_resized.jpg
    20170106_190427_resized.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20170106_191051_resized.jpg
    20170106_191051_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
  • 20170106_191132_resized.jpg
    20170106_191132_resized.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 159
Pedro, are those Volo flashers? Or constantly on? Either way, looks like a BRIGHT setup.

Well sorry for crude cardboard piece. But I'd like to get someone to 3d print something that clears the rear sensors and cameras and that clips in the the rear landing legs and will double as a raised landing gear and place the led' on back side at a wide angle......

I might be able to print something up if you still want something when I am done with it. I am interested in adding some extra lights to my Mavic as well so give me a couple of days to think about it. Right now I am finishing up my glare protector dome so the light bracket can be my next project.

Reactions: jointeffort
Pedro, are those Volo flashers? Or constantly on? Either way, looks like a BRIGHT setup.

They are constantly on.. Rubbish video but if you skip to 3:00 you can see the red ones, the white ones are even brighter:

And these are the Flytrons close up:

So.. consensus is that the Mavic 2 should have more visible lighting ... thats one thing i luv about my old phantom. It was bright!

Well sorry for crude cardboard piece. But I'd like to get someone to 3d print something that clears the rear sensors and cameras and that clips in the the rear landing legs and will double as a raised landing gear and place the led' on back side at a wide angle......
d9ea7499ebecdee76a5ade5ecd7f9312.jpg

This is a good start. It kinda needs to be streamline with the design tho otherwise you will create drag in most cases which are like air brakes.

I was thinking it would be neat to see a design that attachs to the back end of the TOP side like a car spoiler that suts on the trunk with led lights all across the rear facing side but the spoiler design would be cool and streamline looking to the mavic. Maybe it would give it a cool sporty flying car type look, not hurt aerodynamics. Big enough to hide a mini battery inside of it so its clean looking. If sum1 3d printed up a design it could be easy to do given you have an idea for what led strip to use.

Essentially u could make matching aero/light pieces for all sides. A plastic duct/vent design with integrated light and battery like the rear spoiler but this would be longer, skinny and made to mount along the side of the mavic body maybe like a side skirt molding on a sports car does...while matching the rear spoiler light kit in asthetics

You could make cool matching headlight(s) set as well

How cool could that be?

Sumn like this

c13fcce640de86bdc833c67f92e6916a.jpg

Last edited:
4668b27c873fb3cc7475e5330d495c63.jpg

Mock up with app haha

What app did you use?? That's cool idea too... I don't really need to have lights on sides. And reason I want them down low and spread apart would be to more easily differentiate between the green gps led status light on rear which is in the center and when they are on the bottom and the drone is up above you they are on bottom angled slightly down.... I don't want yellow lights really because then when I see a yellow light it might make me think my status light is yellow which I think would mean no gps or atti mode.... I personally just want something that the phantom series and inspire series, and everything else in the dji lineup had for led orientation...

I do agree they would def have to be tweaked and stream lined.... just my 2 cents. But in the other hand I am a car guy as well and the led pods you are talking about would be cool for if your just racing around closer to eye level....

Reactions: SwissJim
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_