DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware . . . v01.03.0800

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded to 800 this morning and tried it over lunch. After takeoff I was traveling directly forward and released the stick and the Mavic made an odd arc to the right as it stopped. It almost seemed to want to go right on its own but would hover in place OK. I immediately did a imu and compass calibration and that seems to have resolved it.

After some testing I decided to fly with the RC only, no app. I was definitely limited in height and distance. It also seemed to be slower and not nearly as sensitive to control inputs, even on sport mode. Sport mode felt like regular with the app.

I want to complain on principle... but since November I haven't flown without the app even a single time anyway. o_O

I agree, it seems pretty simple, so it's interesting that a small handful of people seem to have problems all the time.

I think you suggested probably where the issue is -- internet connection. Don't know what sort of ISP you have, but if you're out in the mountains or something with a crappy, slow ISP, that could explain it.

Fact is though, the vast majority of people have no issues at all, so that suggests something unique to your (and the handful of others) that consistently experience problems, not some sort of general bug in Assistant 2.

We just don't know yet what differs about your circumstance that causes it. It could be something as surprising as a board rev in the Mavic. Do you know your build date?

You mean the build of my Mavic? No, I don't know it, but I bought it in November 2016 and received it in January 2017.
But you know, that's exactly why I said that their approach of upgrading is ******: relying only on internet connexion is looking for problems. This is why *everybody* knowing how it works IRL let you download the complete upgrading file local and then, let you apply the patch, like that, you drastically limit potential problems since the file is not really subject to potential glitches on the Net when transfering.
But for DJI, it's not like that of course, because they think everybody lives in New York or Beijing.
Maybe they should forbid clients from outside mainland China and outside North America to buy their products (along with Android users altogether of course). Because it looks they don't know how to handle those clients.

So what about 3rd party apps then with 800 fw? Do you have to fire up DJI GO 4 once aircraft powered on and connect, then close and open your 3rd party app, such as AutoPilot, Map Pilot, Litchi - else you are very restricted?

The notes say that you just need to connect an app once, and any app that works with the machine will do. So no.

What would happen if you ignore the message?

Attachments

• IMG_4806.PNG
    IMG_4806.PNG
    443.5 KB · Views: 129
The notes say that you just need to connect an app once, and any app that works with the machine will do. So no.

Ah right so just a one off 'activation' then? Was just a bit concerned if required each time. Good to hear!

So what about 3rd party apps then with 800 fw? Do you have to fire up DJI GO 4 once aircraft powered on and connect, then close and open your 3rd party app, such as AutoPilot, Map Pilot, Litchi - else you are very restricted?
Current versions built with the old SDK will require you connect first with GO4 to disable the restrictions on the aircraft side of the equation. Then, you can quit GO4 and start the 3rd party app without flight restrictions, so long as you leave the Mavic on.

After 3rd parties re-release their app rebuilt using the new SDK, the need to connect first with GO4 will no longer be necessary.

Keep an eye on your particular app's announcements for release of the .800 compatible version.

I so sorry that I bought the mavic pro
Dji had lost one customer for the googles
I will never buy something from them again and I hope many people do same as me

I will keep mine, for sure! As for you, and as you think your mavic is some sort of garbage, sell it for, say 50 dollars, & buy a syma...

You must have the app there at the start of the flight, you don't have to use it for the flight, and you can safely disconnect the phone/tablet once the aircraft is powered up, but yes, if you do not connect the phone/tablet at all and just try to fly with the controller you will be restricted.
That's completely unacceptable. Changes the core functionality of the product, essentially now stating that a compatible Android or iOS device is required for core flight functions.

That's how lawsuits get filed, regardless of any amount of legal language they stick in the update agreements. Not saying who'd win or lose, but this is exactly how the lawsuits start.

And unless DJI changes the product information pre-sale, they're going to be in for a world of hurt with this move.

Reactions: jcp411 and Blades
That's completely unacceptable. Changes the core functionality of the product, essentially now stating that a compatible Android or iOS device is required for core flight functions.

That's how lawsuits get filed, regardless of any amount of legal language they stick in the update agreements. Not saying who'd win or lose, but this is exactly how the lawsuits start.

And unless DJI changes the product information pre-sale, they're going to be in for a world of hurt with this move.

How safe for the product would to fly further than the allowed diestance without having a phone that tells you where the drone is located and what's it looking at?

Reactions: wes and Daptone
Ah right so just a one off 'activation' then? Was just a bit concerned if required each time. Good to hear!
It is required each time you power on, but connecting any compatible app to the remote will work and is enough.

How safe for the product would to fly further than the allowed diestance without having a phone that tells you where the drone is located and what's it looking at?

I can easily see my drone 400 ft up orientate it, and navigate, and can still quickly spot it even at 1640ft up.

That's not a valid argument. Otherwise, the phone/tablet would be required from day 1. It's no different than, say, Apple releasing an OS X update requiring purchasers of Macbook Pros to create an Apple account if they want to boot up the computer again.

It's a major change to the core functionality of the device, end of story. And I hope they get sued for it.

I can easily see my drone 400 ft up, and can still quickly spot it at 1640ft up.

That's for the Mavic, and you know its orientation at all times? You must have superhuman eyes.

Please go ahead with one then :)

Reactions: jcp411 and Daptone
Current versions built with the old SDK will require you connect first with GO4 to disable the restrictions on the aircraft side of the equation. Then, you can quit GO4 and start the 3rd party app without flight restrictions, so long as you leave the Mavic on.

After 3rd parties re-release their app rebuilt using the new SDK, the need to connect first with GO4 will no longer be necessary.

Keep an eye on your particular app's announcements for release of the .800 compatible version.

This is not what happened with me today, Autopilot just works regardless of if you have connected Go or not.

AMA - ;) - I recharged the initial battery, loaded up my Mavic and took it to the park I habitually fly in. When I got to the park and set everything up, I did not have to connect to the DJI servers - it was a perfectly normal flight.

It appears to me to be much more stable in hovering and I was not limited as far as height and distance. I did not see any other differences from the .700 version I ran last week. Trump's Air Force did not shoot me down, nor did North Korea's President fire an intercontinental missile at me.

Maybe Trump is too busy tweeting about what a liar and nut case Comey is -- I don't know: What I do know is for me all the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt) that has been expressed over the last 3 or 4 weeks amounted to just that -- FUD.

As always - YMMV

Good Flying.

Prior to this update I was able to fly in my neighborhood. After the update it is now a NFZ (technically on the edge of Class D airspace) and I cannot even takeoff. Plan to downgrade tonight and hope that will fix the problem....

TimV - can you check which type of area your neighborhood is according to the DJI geo system website?

Specifically, I live near the class D for a small airport, which I've gotten used to calling for notification when I'm flying (just within) their airspace. Not being able to fly, though, that'd be a pain. I was planning to do some flying like that tonight, so I'm curious as to what to expect. Checking the geo system, that area is listed as an "Enhanced warning zone" right now. In the past, that's just meant I had to click a couple of acknowledgements in the DJI app (and nothing at all if flying Litchi).

Updated to .800 using DJI Assistant, did not have a microsd in the Mavic, battery at 90%, update stopped at 44% and the two middle leds on the battery remained flashing, after 10 minutes decided something has gone wrong !

I could not switch the battery off, after some deliberation I pulled the battery. The two centre leds on the battery remained lite. Tried google without any luck.

Put a fresh battery in and refreshed to .800 using DJI Assistant, all went well, including battery updated.

Connected remote, Go4 app, and a fresh battery. Go4 stated firmware mismatch, slide a slider and the battery updated. Did this for my third battery, updated no problem. I put the battery that had the two centre leds constantly on in Mavic stated up and the Go4 app stated firmware mismatch, slid to update, app stated battery below 50%, would not update.

Charged battery to full, deleted all files on the microsd card, connected to Assistant, and refreshed to .800, eureka....battery updated and back to normal.

Not sure what caused all this as battery was at 90% when I first started the update, maybe because I did n't have a microsd card installed at first attempt.

Hope this might help someone if they get the same problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcp411
TimV - can you check which type of area your neighborhood is according to the DJI geo system website?

Specifically, I live near the class D for a small airport, which I've gotten used to calling for notification when I'm flying (just within) their airspace. Not being able to fly, though, that'd be a pain. I was planning to do some flying like that tonight, so I'm curious as to what to expect. Checking the geo system, that area is listed as an "Enhanced warning zone" right now. In the past, that's just meant I had to click a couple of acknowledgements in the DJI app (and nothing at all if flying Litchi).

the New update of NFZ makes all yellow zones REQUIRE a 3 day authorization. No way around that I could find, as my house is within a massive 40km yellow warning zone near Eglin AFB. I tried rolling back to .600 and reinstalling the app and no luck. Appears once you update dji stores the zones in an area of memory that is not changed by firmware flashes. Sucks...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daly_mail