DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob Problem - Shadowy Flickering Footage

You have an entirely different problem. The OP's problem isn't a stutter, it's a prop shadow.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes having seen that example that @razors linked to, I'm pretty sure it's a different issue. I may have stutter/moire effects/what-not but I'm not a professional shooter and it doesn't bother me. My eyes aren't discerning enough for that to be a deal-breaker for me, nor do I expect that of a tiny consumer quad. If I had that on an Inspire or some such, I'd be miffed too. My issue is just the glaring prop shadow problem and I'm very thankful for all the suggestions to mitigate it.

The mavics lens design sucks. Wayyyyy too much lens flare which is really hard to get rid of unless you use a 3d hood of some kind. Its the number one flaw IMO.
The Ops video doesn't show prop shadow as prop shadow occurs from the top down. This looks like a sensor issue.

Yes having seen that example that @razors linked to, I'm pretty sure it's a different issue. I may have stutter/moire effects/what-not but I'm not a professional shooter and it doesn't bother me. My eyes aren't discerning enough for that to be a deal-breaker for me, nor do I expect that of a tiny consumer quad. If I had that on an Inspire or some such, I'd be miffed too. My issue is just the glaring prop shadow problem and I'm very thankful for all the suggestions to mitigate it.

I think his hardware isn't able play the footage back correctly. I see no stutters in any of the videos on this thread.

If you honestly saw no issues with either of the videos I linked then you are blind.

Both videos have a stuttering flashing effect especially noticable on movement on straight edge objects.

This is not normal nor should it be a acceptable.

I saw no issues with that video. It was smooth and consistent.

Hi... this is my first drone and I have less than 6 hours flight time. Also have never shot much video before so I have almost no practical experience with the idiosyncrasies of video shutter speeds/frame rates/etc, other than the reading I've managed to scrounge up so far.

Came back from a trip quite horrified to find this strange video artifact on some of the Mavic shots... a kind of shadowy, flickering that can be seen sometimes to the left, sometimes right, sometimes all over the footage. Seems to happen when the camera is facing the sun at an oblique angle. Because I don't have any filters on the camera, is this what people mean when they talk about high shutter speed flicker? Or is it something more sinister? Curiously the last two locations where I flew didn't result in this effect.

Shot at 2.7K, Art, 60fps, Auto exposure. SD card is the high transfer rate Sandisk Extreme Pro. Compilation (ungraded) below. Appreciate any help/advice!

Mavic Flicker Compilation
The major artifact you are seeing, particularly on the left side, is reflection, flare, from sunlight off of the props. Note the clear rotatory nature of that artifact. I would imagine that you will find it only occurs when the orientation of the camera is at a particular position in relationship to the sun. The most effective solution (other than not filming in that orientation) is 1) Get a lens shade/hood, which is nothing more than a modified plastic lens bubble with a hole cut in the front of it just large enough to allow full camera movement and painted matte black. This will also greatly decrease general flare and "washout" of your photos and videos and make them higher contrast. 2) Rotatory prop artifact will be apparently augmented at particular frame rate/shutter speeds and decreased at others (theoreticaly). You can try changing these settings. By "blurring" frames or decreasing shutter speed you may be able to decrease some of this artifact? That could be why some posters say that using an ND filter could help... probably because you are then using a slower shutter speed and blurring the artifact... just as it makes video smoother. This second suggestion is just theory though.

If you honestly saw no issues with either of the videos I linked then you are blind.

Both videos have a stuttering flashing effect especially noticable on movement on straight edge objects.

Well it never stuttered for me and I watched it three times.

Have you guys actually watched reviews in the sun shades available?

Many of them don't make a huge difference and most have been reported to cause the Mavic obstacle avoidance sensors to act up.

Not good.

Unless there is a product I have not yet seen reviewed.

Having now watched this on a device designed around video playback, and on a standard computer, I can definitely say the stutters you see are not from the drone, but either from YouTube's flash player or the computer's video card itself. Watching the video on a device that doesn't use the flash player like an iPhone 6s, which has native 4K playback support, has no stutters in the videos.

Reactions: cybertech
Have you guys actually watched reviews in the sun shades available?

Many of them don't make a huge difference and most have been reported to cause the Mavic obstacle avoidance sensors to act up.

Not good.

Unless there is a product I have not yet seen reviewed.
@BD0G sells gimbal covers as sun shades. Those have no bearings on OA, and allow the sensor to see while blocking out sun glare, and prop shadows.

The major artifact you are seeing, particularly on the left side, is reflection, flare, from sunlight off of the props. Note the clear rotatory nature of that artifact. I would imagine that you will find it only occurs when the orientation of the camera is at a particular position in relationship to the sun. The most effective solution (other than not filming in that orientation) is 1) Get a lens shade/hood, which is nothing more than a modified plastic lens bubble with a hole cut in the front of it just large enough to allow full camera movement and painted matte black. This will also greatly decrease general flare and "washout" of your photos and videos and make them higher contrast. 2) Rotatory prop artifact will be apparently augmented at particular frame rate/shutter speeds and decreased at others (theoreticaly). You can try changing these settings. By "blurring" frames or decreasing shutter speed you may be able to decrease some of this artifact? That could be why some posters say that using an ND filter could help... probably because you are then using a slower shutter speed and blurring the artifact... just as it makes video smoother. This second suggestion is just theory though.

That's a sound theory methinks.

Lol

Ok

Well I have reviewed was footage on a 4k editing computer that is more than capable and the effect is there.

It also occurs in 1080 and 2.7.

Its not a playback issue

Its a camera fault.

Having now watched this on a device designed around video playback, and on a standard computer, I can definitely say the stutters you see are not from the drone, but either from YouTube's flash player or the computer's video card itself. Watching the video on a device that doesn't use the flash player like an iPhone 6s, which has native 4K playback support, has no stutters in the videos.

Lol

Ok

Well I have reviewed was footage on a 4k editing computer that is more than capable and the effect is there.

It also occurs in 1080 and 2.7.

Its not a playback issue

Its a camera fault.
Feel free to upload a video. So I can look.

Feel free to upload a video. So I can look.
I've already been through the motions of testing and doing my due diligence before packaging up Mavic before mailing back.

As have others with the same issue.

I'm sick of arguing with you as this is getting ridiculous.

Good luck to the OP

I hope you find a solution

I didn't see any stutter on my android phone either, and I strained my eyes to see something wrong...

Sent from my SM-G900T using MavicPilots mobile app

no mean to argue but I didn't noticed any issue with the videos posted on this thread. If possible, please give us a few points in time when stuttering occured to go back and watch more carefully. Perhaps it's there but my eyes can't see it.
thanks

no mean to argue but I didn't noticed any issue with the videos posted on this thread. If possible, please give us a few points in time when stuttering occured to go back and watch more carefully. Perhaps it's there but my eyes can't see it.
thanks
There is no stuttering. There's nothing to see. The first video is about the prop shadows showing up in the video.

I guess everyone one else whom viewed my footage must have computer or hardware issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661