DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northeast Pennsylvania!

I'll check the airspace around the park in the sectionals.....

Also, anyone know if we can fly in Nocamixin? That's a bigger lake and lots of trails around there as well. Although I haven't been there much since Peace Valley is close.

Also, anyone know if we can fly in Nocamixin? That's a bigger lake and lots of trails around there as well. Although I haven't been there much since Peace Valley is close.

Nockamixon is a state park and drone flying is prohibited anywhere in the park. I know this because a park ranger approached me as I was calibrating a drone I had last year. She said if I take off, I could be fined of up to $10,000 or prosecuted or both for taking off and landing an aircraft in a state park. I packed up and left. She gave me the verbal warning.

Last edited:
Nockamixon is a state park and drone flying is prohibited anywhere in the park. I know this because a park ranger approached me as I was calibrating a drone I had last year. She said if I take off, I could be fined of up to $10,000 or prosecuted or both for taking off and landing an aircraft in a state park. I packed up and left. She gave me the verbal warning.

Ok we'll avoid getting fined by flying there. Will research the whole takeoff and landing outside state parks and flying parks....still not 100% about the legality of that.

There is also a quarry not too far from me that I've wanted to scout out. Its not too big, but it's inactive an I know a couple places we can park on the weekends around it.

Well clear of anything I love right on the line of the closest airport. I fly out of there so I know it's the local traffic pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I believe peace valley is a county park so it doesn't fall under state rules. I could be wrong but I believe as long as you take off and land out side state parks they can't control that.

I believe peace valley is a county park so it doesn't fall under state rules. I could be wrong but I believe as long as you take off and land out side state parks they can't control that.

I've been hearing that a lot too....just want to check on the legality of that before we attempt it.

Peace Valley seems like a good choice for the next outing. Any recommendation on parking locations? I usually go to the boat dock and walk around with my kids there. Maybe this summer we can have a family drone event and make a day of it with a barbecue and games.

PA state parks are off limit too; haven't heard that one yet. Good to know. French Creek is out near me and would have been good.

Quick side question, anyone having issues with flying over moving water at about 3 to 5 ft height and having the Mavic sink to almost touching and rising. Shutting off downward VPS doesn't help; but putting it into terrain following which forces it to about 10ft locks it in perfect over a moving creek (downward VPS obviously on).

Ok, back to the original topic, meetups. Read plenty on close to ground flying and unless you have very good patterns and hard surfaces the tech has trouble maintaining an altitude until you get to about 3m or 10ft above just about any surface. Water and a blanket of white snow being some of the hardest surfaces to accomplish this above. Terrain follow mode seams to engage some blended techniques but also locks you at that 3m mark or higher but works well above a moving creek, for the most part.....

Weekend weather looks nice. I'm in the last weekend of the show I'm in...but if people want to get up early on Saturday to go flying somewhere, I'm down. Would have to be around 8-11 since I have to be at theater by 12:30.

Got the circus in Philly at 11. I'm out unless you want to fly for an hour near Phoenixville or earlier; but probably not feasible

I was thinking Franconia Community Park, Telford, PA. It's nice and big (not as big as warminster mind you), and I've flown there before. There is a parking lot off godshall road next to the soccer fields that is good and gives you good range to all the park. If we do it early in the morning we could still be in the golden hour and get some great shots with the sunrise. Plus I got a new FPV drone I want to test out.

Sunday morning works as well. Still need to be at theater at 12:30 but could do early in there morning. Let me know.

I was still thinking Saturday, but if we want sunrise we need 30 minutes ahead so like 6:30am

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm ok with Saturday if what works for people. I might be a bit tired since I have a show the night before, but I'll be good on four hours of sleep.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31