DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Right time to buy M3?

Hi drone m8s,

I was looking for a M3 to replace my M2P and M2Z. But read a lot of negative messages on this forum.
Is it the right time to replace the M2's or is it better to wait for further updates?

Thnx
I just recently purchased an M3 and am very happy with the purchase despite all the complaints that people are posting about it. Yes, mine takes awhile to acquire the satellites on startup which is a pain. I have updated the firmware but have not had a chance to test it due to the bad weather we have been having here. Regardless, if it hasn't improved I will just live with it until it eventually gets fixed and work around it or take it into account when I go to fly. Other drones have had problems too on launch - my Spark for instance, had problems with the battery clips and some people had the batteries fall out in flight resulting in a crash. I have had to use a battery clip since purchase to secure the batteries - it works and I just live with it!

For me, the dual camera system on the M3 is perfect for some of the photography I do (searching for and photographing ruins/abandoned sites in hard to find places). As you are likely aware the secondary camera is not a true zoom camera like your M2Z, it's just a tele camera that crops the image from the sensor. I have been surprised though at the quality of the images from the tele camera at 7X (162mm). At 162mm, I think the full sensor of the tele camera is being used so there is no cropping at this point so that is probably why the images are sharp. I haven't tried it at other zoomed (cropped) settings yet but likely the images won't be as sharp.

For me the convenience of having two cameras on one drone and the long battery life is huge as it gives me lots of time to compose my shots, review them and reframe them if I have to. The satellite acquisition problem is something I can learn to live with if I need to.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Reading these posts I feel as if I'm seeing two overlapping worlds simultaneously.

As far as I can tell, some M3s are fine while others have faults. Mine has lived up to expectations and more. I've not experienced any issues with GPS; flight is perfectly stable and steady; I don't mind the controller at all; images aren't quite as nice as my Nikon but the Nikon's sensor has rather more glass in front and it's attached to a tripod rather than a tiny, vibrating machine up in the sky.

Is it time to buy one? My answer is a qualified "yes" — try it out, and if the one you get exhibits any of the problems others have described (and if those are deal-breakers for you), return it within the no-penalty refund period.

Hi drone m8s,

I was looking for a M3 to replace my M2P and M2Z. But read a lot of negative messages on this forum.
Is it the right time to replace the M2's or is it better to wait for further updates?

Thnx
You might get a few that will be offloading their M3 at a low price.

Besides the fact that the improvements would be for the collective we, not the individual you...

Have you upgraded your firmware since your initial purchase? Do you know which firmware version introduced the GPS acquisition problem for most people?
Anecdotally, most of the complaints first appeared with December 9th's V01.00.0400, though a few more suddenly caught the issue on January 21st V01.00.0500. Interesting that YouTubers like 51 Drones not only was oblivious to the issue until it hit him in January, he also first experienced the rising altitude in with APAS in "Bypass" mode with snow on the ground. I had the uncommanded altitude increase, all the way to my max altitude setting whenever the sun was low, coming to believe that the wide-angle bottom sensors (glass, not plastic) lenses ghost when the sun is low. But right when mine improved dramatically at V01.00.0500, Russ at 51 Drones Mavic 3 reported first experiencing the issue. A related flaw is discontinued Hyperlapses flying toward low sun when the drone believes there is an obstacle.
If you're wondering why I came to that conclusion, it's because the display has an error "Unable to continue Hyperlapse- obstacle detected." - lol.

Finally I haven't had ANY Airsence warnings, even with commercial airliners passing directly over the drone at low (1000-1500 ft, to my eye), and Helecopters flying within 500 feet horizontally. This is only since January's FW update. The GPS "FIX" has cut my aquisition time to establish a Homepoint in half, about 1.5-2.5 minutes, assuming I'm not dealing with dilution of precision.

- Its still not great but certainly more reasonable. V01.00.0600 did nothing for Airsence, unfortunately. Yes we need to have situational awareness, but improved safety is always desirable. Besides, as an IT engineer, I have a string preference for software/hardware that works as designed.

Wondering if RC Pro users have elevated rates of Airsense failing over RC-N1 users. Only DJI would have usefull data on this, and they have little motivation to indulge my curiosity. For long time DJI consumers, are you seeing M3 getting FW updates/fixes similar to previous models, slower, or more often?

Reactions: Crashdummytest
Hi drone m8s,

Thnx
Addition the GPS issue... if waypoints or mapping is on your list. That won't be a M3 until SDK released in future. Since FlyApp Craft, also won't be a on-board processing of waypoints. Will be controller tablet sending virtual flight stick commands... all mission tasks sent up not stored. No major difference other than if disconnected during mission.

Your M2P/Z process on-board and can continue mission if disconnected.

Addition the GPS issue... if waypoints or mapping is on your list. That won't be a M3 until SDK released in future. Since FlyApp Craft, also won't be a on-board processing of waypoints. Will be controller tablet sending virtual flight stick commands... all mission tasks sent up not stored. No major difference other than if disconnected during mission.

Your M2P/Z process on-board and can continue mission if disconnected.
On the M2P/Z, Is that only with Litchi, or also with GO 4?

It's not dependent on App for on-board processing. That's a design feature... main board supports waypoint processing and mission storage.

Although the disconnect option is an App feature to utilize the inherent feature. I've not actually examined each App... the DJI Go4, not100% certain that option is in the Disconnect Menu options... haven't looked recently. It is available on Litchi, Maps Made Easy, and I believe Ground Station Pro (GSPv2)... and I believe available in DroneLink and others due to the design of Go4 Crafts.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It's not dependent on App for on-board processing. That's a design feature... main board supports waypoint processing and mission storage.

Although the disconnect option is an App feature to utilize the inherent feature. I've not actually examined each App... the DJI Go4, not100% certain that option is in the Disconnect Menu options... haven't looked recently. It is available on Litchi, Maps Made Easy, and I believe Ground Station Pro (GSPv2)... and I believe available in DroneLink and others due to the design of Go4 Crafts.
Update to previous post...

I did do a quick check... to lazy to drag out Inspire 2 so resorted to YouTube.
It does appear GO4 App Waypoints will continue if RC connection lost based on Screen shot.
The "Waypoints" Popout does show "Missions continue even if Remote Controller signal is lost".

Any of the Go4 era Crafts on any App... it always shows "Uploading Mission", where on Fly App, craft doesn't hold mission to process.

GO4 app signal loss.png

Interestingly DJI just mentioned Waypoints - in an unusual public facing statement, for China only AFAIK, referenced in a tread titled "

"Massive new features to be released in Q2 2022"​

I can't vouch or quantify the massiveness of the listed features, but one section includes:

"DJI also announced additional features planed in future firmware update (after Q2 2022):

Mavic 3:
+ waypoint support"

Several caveats. Announcing is not the same as delivering. I recalled them announcing a new fly more combo that would have the RC Pro but was not the Cine model.. This was China only, to be followed worldwide, "if market demands blah blah" and to date we do not see this offered in the US, nor did the "credits will be given to customers who purchased the items separately" manifest in the US.

My point is that you must read DJI announcements as you would read insurance sales pitches; "the price can never go up" -translation? The benefit may go down at any whim of ours, lol. It's in that spirit that I read:

+waypoint support as "we support you wanting waypoints and through the SDK, will let Litchi and others offer them. We will even provide golf tournament soft clapping sounds when appropriate 👏 😉

Interestingly DJI just mentioned Waypoints - in an unusual public facing statement, for China only AFAIK, referenced in a tread titled "

"Massive new features to be released in Q2 2022"​

I can't vouch or quantify the massiveness of the listed features, but one section includes:

"DJI also announced additional features planed in future firmware update (after Q2 2022):

Mavic 3:
+ waypoint support"

Several caveats. Announcing is not the same as delivering. I recalled them announcing a new fly more combo that would have the RC Pro but was not the Cine model.. This was China only, to be followed worldwide, "if market demands blah blah" and to date we do not see this offered in the US, nor did the "credits will be given to customers who purchased the items separately" manifest in the US.

My point is that you must read DJI announcements as you would read insurance sales pitches; "the price can never go up" -translation? The benefit may go down at any whim of ours, lol. It's in that spirit that I read:

+waypoint support as "we support you wanting waypoints and through the SDK, will let Litchi and others offer them. We will even provide golf tournament soft clapping sounds when appropriate 👏 😉
That's a significant update "IF" they mean they'll support waypoints in DJI apps... it was established they were providing SDK to 3rd Party Developers: Litchi.

If they add Waypoint AND onboard processing to a FlyApp Craft... that would be significant. At this stage, I doubt on-board processing will occur. Similar to the Air2S... processing on RC Tablet.

But positive news eitherway.

That's a significant update "IF" they mean they'll support waypoints in DJI apps... it was established they were providing SDK to 3rd Party Developers: Litchi.

As someone else recently pointed out, SDKs are public / open access to internal processes.

This means that either waypoint functionality is already in the code and the SDK is just providing a public interface to third parties (when released), or they themselves are using the same SDK in their development.

If an SDK is released before their own waypoint functionality is ready for public use, they simply mark it as private, so nobody can see the code but their own internal development.

Simply put, if they allow LITCHI to use Waypoints but do not implement it themselves in the DJI Fly app, they would catch a whole lot of flak.

Chris

EDIT: I reread your last comment re: Air2S. If they really don't allow Waypoint processing onboard that aircraft (after controller disconnect), I would think that would be an aircraft limitation, one that should not be on the more expensive M3.

It's a great drone with some not trivial flaws. If you can work around / tolerate those flaws (as I do), it flies exceptionally well. It allows me to get a new kind of shot which I cannot do with other drones.

As someone else recently pointed out, SDKs are public / open access to internal processes.

This means that either waypoint functionality is already in the code and the SDK is just providing a public interface to third parties (when released), or they themselves are using the same SDK in their development.

If an SDK is released before their own waypoint functionality is ready for public use, they simply mark it as private, so nobody can see the code but their own internal development.

Simply put, if they allow LITCHI to use Waypoints but do not implement it themselves in the DJI Fly app, they would catch a whole lot of flak.

Chris

EDIT: I reread your last comment re: Air2S. If they really don't allow Waypoint processing onboard that aircraft (after controller disconnect), I would think that would be an aircraft limitation, one that should not be on the more expensive M3.
Yes, correct... in the full disclosure of SDK that is accurate. Code already exists... to the Ft End User, it doesn't exist until offered. As a old IT person, I make statements more in the scope of the End User's perspective. The SDK libraries are primarily a common DJI code set... they don't create new whole new SDK kit for new commands & procedures unique to each Craft. They have unique modules / sections specifically to cover the unique features/circuitry of craft... but the majority of code is common.

Although, the "on-board processing" is a function totally seperate from available procedure calls & libraries. Where that function "can be processed" is dependent on hardware & FW. All older crafts normally contained on-board processing (Go3, Go4 and Pilot apps) but newer Crafts that were designed for the FlyApp lacked the hardware circuitry.

When initially released, I personally questioned if the M3 would contain circuitry and use FW to activate... but in another thread it was indicated mainboard lacked the circuitry like the Air & Mini series. This is reinforced by DJI's Ground Station Pro program being announced will not support the M3... why, because it depends on Uploading Mission & On-Board processing.

RC side processing does exhibite a difference in waypoint missions (smoothness of turns, etc), compared to uploaded; but overall provides the same functionality and if the M3 has improved OcuSync... maybe less likelihood of disconnects.

Regarding FlyApp and Waypoints... unless something has changed recently, FlyApp doesn't support Waypoint missions for any Craft. The SDK supports and provided to 3rd Party Developers.

Many enjoy the Air2 series & Mini gaining Waypoint functionality in Litchi... most not aware of RC Tablet vs On-Board processing. BTW, Litchi app even indicates Disconnect on these Crafts do not support continued Mission once Disconnected.

[...] When initially released, I personally questioned if the M3 would contain circuitry and use FW to activate... but in another thread it was indicated mainboard lacked the circuitry like the Air & Mini series. This is reinforced by DJI's Ground Station Pro program being announced will not support the M3... why, because it depends on Uploading Mission & On-Board processing. [...]

If it turns out that the M3 doesn't even have that ability, then it's a deal breaker for me. I'll just wait for the next major model and hope it has that, in addition to proper GPS circuitry.

Chris

If it turns out that the M3 doesn't even have that ability, then it's a deal breaker for me. I'll just wait for the next major model and hope it has that, in addition to proper GPS circuitry.

Chris
And your disappointment is shared by many. But that appears to be associated to the FlyApp; which is why many expressed they had hoped it would have been a Go4 App Craft like the M2P.

Wouldn't it be ironic, if the M3S added On-Board and used a different app... maybe shared with Inspire 3.

The Phantom, Inspire & Matrice Crafts and Enterprise crafts continue to support On-Board.

And your disappointment is shared by many. But that appears to be associated to the FlyApp; which is why many expressed they had hoped it would have been a Go4 App Craft like the M2P.

Wouldn't it be ironic, if the M3S added On-Board and used a different app... maybe shared with Inspire 3.

The Phantom, Inspire & Matrice Crafts and Enterprise crafts continue to support On-Board.
On-Board is essential where any intervening obstruction will temporarily block signal while flying behind it, as often happens when needing to fly behind a building to get shots from the other side, without always having to first ascend over the building. The 4G Dongle could also solve this problem, were it only available for use in the U.S.. Alas! 🥲

Well, we are some days further now... how a about the swap on this time? Is the m3 updated in the last period? I saw someone who is selling his M3 fly more for just 1700€. Is it a good swap or still some big cons?

is the photo quality far better than m2p?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111