DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid firmware update caused me the mav to crash this morning!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top speed on that Hubsan 501 is 11 MPH. A far cry from the Mavic Pro's 40 MPH plus (in tailwinds)

This thread over at Phantom Pilots indicates that one CANNOT disable the CSC stick maneuver

How to disable Control Stick Command for Stopping The Motors

It does list a hardware solution which is just a small 3 D printed flat rectangle that fits over the right stick of a Phantom Remote Controller that disallows one from pulling the right stick all the way inwards and down. Thereby nullifying the ability to inadvertent perform a CSC.

Will it fit the Mavic Pro Remote Controller and perform as advertised. - Unknown without testing.

So yes nobody in thread knows how to do this as it appears one cannot disable this "feature" entirely.
This thread over at Phantom Pilots indicates that one CANNOT disable the CSC stick maneuver

How to disable Control Stick Command for Stopping The Motors

It does list a hardware solution which is just a small 3 D printed flat rectangle that fits over the right stick of a Phantom Remote Controller that disallows one from pulling the right stick all the way inwards and down. Thereby nullifying the ability to inadvertent perform a CSC.

Will it fit the Mavic Pro Remote Controller and perform as advertised. - Unknown without testing.

So yes nobody in thread knows how to do this as it appears one cannot disable this "feature" entirely.
The article you are referring to is for the Phantom series which has some differences and it is over a year old and as we know, DJI comes out with new firmware all the time. The manual and looking over the app carefully will give you the correct answer. If you don't like the CSC setting use the "emergencies" setting.

Here is the manual link, read it over thoroughly grasshopper :D - https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170301/UserManual/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual_en_v1.4.pdf

IMG_4022.PNG

I have cleaned this thread up a bit. Here are a few observations...
  • be nice to your fellow members, remember that is one of our paramount rules.
  • this is not the place for political opinions or off topic talk. There is an off topic are on the forum for talk that is not related to RC aircraft, please contain it to those areas.
  • CSC has been around as long as RC aircraft. It is for emergency use and it is nearly impossible to preform this action by accident flying a camera drone.
  • firmware does wipe out the old and install a new version with default settings. It is up to you to reset your preferences. A checklist is something many fliers should be using. You are responsible for every flight, be sure you know how your aircraft operate before using it.
  • The Mavic, nor any other camera drone is designed to fly like a purpose built racing/sport UAV. They are designed for smooth flight to capture images.
  • the manual is a goldmine of information. Someone mentioned the manual skips over stuff, no, not really. I found what you were mentioning there just now - https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170301/UserManual/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual_en_v1.4.pdf
View attachment 8167

So lets keep this on topic and real friendly like OK?

5fa54b2342a73f50c6f3323e5a539e78.gif
After a couple of minor crashes on my P3P, i was grateful I had the CSC maneuver to stop the motors. would've beat it's self to death otherwise. I have enabled CSC for in flight also on the mavic also as extreme emergency shut down it it goes haywire head toward people or other valuable objects!

After a couple of minor crashes on my P3P, i was grateful I had the CSC maneuver to stop the motors. would've beat it's self to death otherwise. I have enabled CSC for in flight also on the mavic also as extreme emergency shut down it it goes haywire head toward people or other valuable objects!
That is exactly why it's there, for emergencies. To the people who don't like it I am curious as to why? You will never make it happen unless you plan to do it, so why all the apprehension?

Reactions: Buttercup
That is exactly why it's there, for emergencies. To the people who don't like it I am curious as to why? You will never make it happen unless you plan to do it, so why all the apprehension?
Listen I agree there should be a button to kill the motors but it shouldn't be on the sticks. It should have it's own button like the pause button excetp it should have a cover on the switch to prevent accidental pushes. again they don't put things like that on real aircrafts why should they on a drone.

Listen I agree there should be a button to kill the motors but it shouldn't be on the sticks. It should have it's own button like the pause button excetp it should have a cover on the switch to prevent accidental pushes. again they don't put things like that on real aircrafts why should they on a drone.
It is where it is because when you need it in a hurry, you already have hands on the sticks so it makes perfect sense. Hundreds of thousands of RC aircraft operators before you used it with no problems. And to your second part... apples & oranges. Full scale aircraft also don't have a kill switch under a cover either. :D

Reactions: Buttercup
It is where it is because when you need it in a hurry, you already have hands on the sticks so it makes perfect sense. Hundreds of thousands of RC aircraft operators before you used it with no problems. And to your second part... apples & oranges. Full scale aircraft also don't have a kill switch under a cover either. :D
sounds like you have been flying a while do you not ever do a downward spiral?

And the you are correct again about the bigs crafts but their kill button is overhead where you are not going to accidently push it. :D

sounds like you have been flying a while do you not ever do a downward spiral?

And the you are correct again about the bigs crafts but their kill button is overhead where you are not going to accidently push it. :D
I have had a downward spiral or two, but they were death spirals... it happens :D

I'm confused if the setting is set to emergency and not csc it won't turn off in the air....... I tried it in the simulater built in the app " emergency only setting" the quad just go in circles and does not turn off....... however if the setting is on CSC it will turn off motors in air..... and by default the app is emergency only..... so I'm not sure how it turned off in the air

I'm confused if the setting is set to emergency and not csc it won't turn off in the air....... I tried it in the simulater built in the app " emergency only setting" the quad just go in circles and does not turn off....... however if the setting is on CSC it will turn off motors in air..... and by default the app is emergency only..... so I'm not sure how it turned off in the air
Correct, CSC is the way most pre-multi rotor expect it to be and the motors will turn off in the air. The other setting, "for emergencies" (the default, only recently offered), requires the quad to detect a problem to shut them down, i.e. a crash where one or more props are trying to rotate. See the red box...

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 4.38.11 PM✨.png

Correct, CSC is the way most pre-multi rotor expect it to be and the motors will turn off in the air. The other setting, "for emergencies" (the default, only recently offered), requires the quad to detect a problem to shut them down, i.e. a crash where one or more props are trying to rotate. See the red box...

View attachment 8186

Exactly..... so unless he turned on CSC it was a pilot error and nothing to do with the firmware.... if I'm reading his post right

Man a none rc pilot talking here.
RC aiplanes yes. The left stick can only bring throttle to a idle
In helicopters its different
Normal mode. Throttle and colletive pitch for training newbies
Idleup 1 switch on the left top of radio separates throttle from the stick to run a governor mod like 75% throttle
Left stick is now collective pitch only. When you want to kill the motor. On the right side you have a kill switch

Just to add to those pointing out that the default is to disable an airborne CSC, that's also my understanding and is exactly what happened with my new mavic when I updated the firmware straight out of the box. It couldn't really be much more idiot proof, unless you enable airborne CSCs because you want that option and understand what it does, they are turned off by default.

Please, if you can't or won't understand what an aircraft is going to do or how it works, to the extent that you might shut it down accidentally in flight, then don't fly it, at least not around people and property.

So. My understanding of this. You had a flight controller failure ( brain in aircraft)in a funnel for it to shut your motors off in flight
By reading this right. Motor will not shut off in flight unless something goes wrong with brain and sticks are in the corner at the same time.
So it must notice when it lands to shut the motors down. Question is. How much can you control in the app incase you have a brain failure?

The article you are referring to is for the Phantom series which has some differences and it is over a year old and as we know, DJI comes out with new firmware all the time. The manual and looking over the app carefully will give you the correct answer. If you don't like the CSC setting use the "emergencies" setting.

Here is the manual link, read it over thoroughly grasshopper :D - https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170301/UserManual/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual_en_v1.4.pdf

Thanks TJ for pointing that out! I was unaware that one could set it for Emergencies only. Searched through the app and did not see that setting anywhere before posting. Must have missed it.

Thanks TJ for pointing that out! I was unaware that one could set it for Emergencies only. Searched through the app and did not see that setting anywhere before posting. Must have missed it.
You have to be connected to the Mavic for that setting to show up in the app. The app needs to ask the aircraft what it's set for before letting you change it.

The worst part is your pilot and co pilot were not even the last ones to fly the plane and may have never even been in that exact plane before. So who knows what switches and stuff were left in what positions from the last pilots. I hope they do a preflight and do it correctly.

Just to ease your minds...

All pilots are well-trained to do extensive, efficient physical inspections before each and every flight of the aircraft they are about to pilot, inside and out. Private pilots, commercial airline pilots and military pilots, too, will even do their own physical inspections of any plane, airliner or jet they are about to pilot, whether it's on the tarmac or aboard a ship, prior to takeoff. They do this even though their support flight crew has already inspected and approved the aircraft for flight, as this is included in the pilot's pre-flight dutiest, which they never deviate from. Redundancy is a standard practice in aviation of any sort and at every level, from private pilot's license on up.

Moreover, it is ingrained in all pilots to follow exhaustive pre-flight checklists followed immediately by their flight checklists EVERY TIME they begin to pilot any aircraft - including switch and button placements and orientations - whether they've flown it for 10 years or if it's their first time aboard it. Again, this is true in all classes of pilots. So, they KNOW the aircraft they are piloting far much better than you may think. They also have a flight landing checklist that they follow equally as faithfully when approaching a landing.

My Father had his private pilot's license and flew a Piper Cub Cherokee D single engine plane for years that seated 5 comfortably. Being very mechanically inclined, he always did his own engine and avionics repairs and maintenance, not trusting anyone else to do the job correctly. More to the point, despite the vast numbers of hours he had in that plane's cockpit - he even flew as an Instrument Flight Rated pilot from our small private airstrip in Delaware to LAX in Los Angeles, California, quite a feat to accomplish - he always had his checklists physically strapped to his right leg on a clipboard made just for that purpose, which he faithfully strapped on and then followed each and every time he flew, speaking out step-by-step aloud every time he went down the list for every flight. Being an excellent pilot, he never was too busy, in too much of a hurry, or too preoccupied not to follow these strict guidelines in the form of routine checklists laid out before him to observe.

As an aside, ALL drone pilot should be emulating these other pilots by inspecting their aircraft before powering it up, running down a pre-flight list and then a flight list before takeoff, and following a landing checklist, too. So many drone crashes and accidents could be avoided if they did.

It's never cool to be a fool. Any drone pilot who simply leaves things up to the circumstances of the day when flying and who is cavalier about following checklists instead of maintaining a more professional, mature approach to flying is foolhardy, indeed. It sets into motion a series of events that can only eventually end very badly for those involved.

To the poster that lost his mavic, you had to change the setting to allow multiple flight modes to enable the sports mode. If you did this why didn't you check all your other setting?

Reactions: Alabast
It is. Maybe not in the short term, but in the long term yes. If you don't delve into it and understand the settings now and expect to be spoon-fed instead you WILL end up crashing at some point becasue you missed or didn't check something.

You HAVE to know what settings there are and what they do. It would take a special kind not to find out what this setting does when going over it, so you really don't need someone to tell you that.

If when going through settings there are some you don't understand even after trying to search then ask for clarification and people will be happy to help since you'll be doing things right.

With greatest of respect I have been flying for many years without incident. !
I have a lot of experience and thousands of KM's flown.

I have helped many people on these forums from the FC40, the phantom 2, P3 etc etc etc.

Not ever setting is described in manual or information on app clearly stated.

I come here to help people, gain experience, if you want to be unhelpful , then I suggest this forum is not right for you.

Reactions: FordP and misskimo
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky