DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using DJI Care Refresh

Budge

Reactions
In another thread, I described how my Mavic Pro "fell out of the sky" with no power. I shared my .DAT file, and the general consensus was that either my battery was loose or that I had a battery failure.

Since my gimbal cable was broken, I had to decide whether to repair it myself or send it in. If I repaired it myself, I was worried that I might void my warranty AND the Care Refresh. But if I sent it in, then I might burn one of my two "refreshes" (and $79) for something simple. I decided not to take a chance with voiding my warranty, so I decided to send it in and hope for a warranty fix.

So when you go online to start the process, any type of damage to the drone must be categorized at "Crash or Water Damage". Then, you must choose between regular repair service and Care Refresh if you have it, and that Care Refresh is an expedited service. After you pay the $79, you are told to box the Mavic Pro and props (not the controller, battery, sd card, etc) and send it in.

After I mailed it, I realized that I forgot to remove the micro sd card and my uv filter. I contacted support to ask them to add a note to my file. Support basically said that they would add a note but that I might not get them back. What's worse is that they told me that once they charge you the $79, you have burned your first refresh and you can't get your money back NO MATTER WHAT.

So my question is: If you have a legitimate warranty issue, how are you supposed to send it in without burning your Care Refresh?

At this point I'd call the $79 a sunk cost and move on. I'd also consider - if available in your area - reaching out to State Farm about insuring your replacement under a personal articles policy, which is generally at or under $60/yr and covers full replacement cost for a new unit if yours is lost, stolen, or even just damaged.

Reactions: SRJ_Mavic_PRO
Hmm, I was just reading about Care Refresh as I got my drone today. I recall reading that if you send it in and it's a problem covered by warranty, you don't lose the first Refresh. Check DJI site where u buy care Refresh

Hmm, I was just reading about Care Refresh as I got my drone today. I recall reading that if you send it in and it's a problem covered by warranty, you don't lose the first Refresh. Check DJI site where u buy care Refresh

That's what I thought. But you may have to send it in differently. That's the part that seems unclear to me.

At this point I'd call the $79 a sunk cost and move on. I'd also consider - if available in your area - reaching out to State Farm about insuring your replacement under a personal articles policy, which is generally at or under $60/yr and covers full replacement cost for a new unit if yours is lost, stolen, or even just damaged.

I wish that I had known about that before I paid for the DJI care refresh. :(

I received my MP yesterday and signed up for SJI Care Refresh during the initial setup, I figured at some point I'd probably need it. I fully wasn't expecting to need it in it's maiden voyage.
After a nice 13 minute flight I was showing my son how the return home feature worked. I hit the button and I pointed to the spot it took off from and said "it'll land right there". It started it's descent and as it was about 8 feet away i saw "magnetic interference" on the screen and the thing did a beeline into the side of my house, dropped to the ground and started to spin in circles in the propellers. I killed power to the remote and it turned off. The body was actually OK, the props had some nice scratches but unfortunately the while gimble unit was hanging by a thread. (After I saw the warning in the screen I didn't have time -or skills- to react and manually take over landing it).

I went online and did a chat with a DJI rep and explained what happened and she directed me to the online form. She did suggest I fill it out to have a tech analyse the flight data, I am ok taking responsibility for the crash but not sure why the "magnetic interference" warning popped up. Avoidance detection didn't kick in because the camera was facing the opposite direction. I launched it about 10 feet from the house, I probably could have gone further and in hindsight I know better now.

Anyway, that's a totally roundabout way of saying that at no time during the claim process did it ask me to pay the extra $79 for a replacement - I'm not saying I won't have to yet but as far as I know I'll only be asked if I want to burn a replacement after they receive and evaluate it.

I received my MP yesterday and signed up for SJI Care Refresh during the initial setup, I figured at some point I'd probably need it. I fully wasn't expecting to need it in it's maiden voyage.
After a nice 13 minute flight I was showing my son how the return home feature worked. I hit the button and I pointed to the spot it took off from and said "it'll land right there". It started it's descent and as it was about 8 feet away i saw "magnetic interference" on the screen and the thing did a beeline into the side of my house, dropped to the ground and started to spin in circles in the propellers. I killed power to the remote and it turned off. The body was actually OK, the props had some nice scratches but unfortunately the while gimble unit was hanging by a thread. (After I saw the warning in the screen I didn't have time -or skills- to react and manually take over landing it).

I went online and did a chat with a DJI rep and explained what happened and she directed me to the online form. She did suggest I fill it out to have a tech analyse the flight data, I am ok taking responsibility for the crash but not sure why the "magnetic interference" warning popped up. Avoidance detection didn't kick in because the camera was facing the opposite direction. I launched it about 10 feet from the house, I probably could have gone further and in hindsight I know better now.

Anyway, that's a totally roundabout way of saying that at no time during the claim process did it ask me to pay the extra $79 for a replacement - I'm not saying I won't have to yet but as far as I know I'll only be asked if I want to burn a replacement after they receive and evaluate it.

I think I read that the first 48hours of DJI Care Refresh is free. Not sure if thats the first Refresh cost or the actual subscription.

I think I read that the first 48hours of DJI Care Refresh is free. Not sure if thats the first Refresh cost or the actual subscription.
Its not free, its just easier to sign up. After the 48 hour window in order to enroll you have to send pics/videos of the device to show that it isn't already damaged. I guess that would keep people from using it for a few weeks, then crashing and signing up for it.

I have Care Refresh. My Mavic "fell out of the sky" last week too, but it appears to have lost a prop at 200 feet.

It was only in the air for a couple minutes. I took off, let it set home point and then ascended to 200 feet straight up. There I let it hover while I looked over my settings and got ready to start my flight plan. Then, with no warning, it spun out of control, dropped fast, smashed through trees and "landed" on my neighbor's concrete patio. Broke both front arms and devastated the gimble.

I had 15 satellites, green on all systems, no wind, no errors. It had to be a prop falling off, which is weird because that doesn't seem to happen much with the Mavic. I'll know early next week what the verdict is.

Well, for what it’s worth, it appears that the Mavic crashed itself. DJI listed it as a warranty job, not a Care Replace claim, so something must have gone wrong with the drone itself. I speculated that it threw a prop, but it may have had an engine error of some kind too. The front two arms were pretty well destroyed and the gimble was crushed. It hit the ground so hard and took so much damage (almost $400 worth according to DJI’s evaluation) it’s really hard to tell what exactly happened. The flight log isn’t especially haelpful, as the errors don’t start until it was well into the downward spiral.

Regardless, great job DJI support! I should have it back either late this week or early next.

Since day one 2-3-17 my mavic has reported a esc motor 3 error restart and if problem persists contact DJI support. The problem has been intermittent over the last seven months and 2,300,00 feet traveled. Finally 3 weeks ago it just would not start. I contacted DJI email support. After 2 days of back and forth I got my UPS shipping label. Boxed up the mavic with the required paperwork along with copy of my DJI care refresh. Labeled outside of box DJI Care Refresh per instructions. Mailed on 9-8-17 received by DJI on 9-14-17. I checked repair progress daily and found it showed repaired no charge. Shipped back to me on 9-18-17. Shows will arrive on 9-22-17. Exactly 2 weeks from ship off to return. Also my camera had stress cracks in several places. It appears they replaced the camera as it shows a new S/N for the camera gimbal. So I was prepared to use Care Refresh but did not need it. See what I get in the mail on 9-22-17.

Update:. I did get my Mavic back on 9-22-17. Brand new unit. My DJI Care Refresh was also transferred to the unit.

Last edited:
Well I got mine back on Thursday. It looks like they replaced my Mavic, but I can't tell for sure. The replacement doesn't look brand new as it has no protective stickers on it. They did return my micro sd card, but not the UV filter for my lens. I checked the website and it gave me no information at all on the repair or replacement.

I called DJI today to find out why they just replaced my drone without contacting me or investigating. They said that I chose DJI Care Refresh EXPRESS. So when I went through the online process, Express was a choice to get your drone back faster. But it did not explain that when you choose express, you are giving up your rights to a warranty and that the drone will be replaced as soon as it's received. I had no idea. So I just burned my first DJI Care Refresh.

I called DJI today to find out why they just replaced my drone without contacting me or investigating. They said that I chose DJI Care Refresh EXPRESS. So when I went through the online process, Express was a choice to get your drone back faster. But it did not explain that when you choose express, you are giving up your rights to a warranty and that the drone will be replaced as soon as it's received. I had no idea. So I just burned my first DJI Care Refresh.
That's useful to know, so thanks for letting us all know...
Now, I would say that 2 goes on Refresh should hopefully be enough for you in a year. If you need a third, then you're probably doing something wrong! :)

Cheers and thanks again

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

I am very disappointed in DJI Refresh I Filed a claim with them ON 8/28/17, bought my drone on 8/17 only to find that the thunderbolt cable in the box was faulty and my iPhone 6s plus keep loosing connection. After going back and forth with them about receipts pictures etc. they told me I have to wait for a claim number which I received 4 times and still no resolution. I understand the replacement part is very cheap but whats the point of buying refresh and not using it. I am inclined to do a chargeback on my credit card for them lacking to provide me with their service. anyone else have such claim experience

I am very disappointed in DJI Refresh I Filed a claim with them ON 8/28/17, bought my drone on 8/17 only to find that the thunderbolt cable in the box was faulty and my iPhone 6s plus keep loosing connection. After going back and forth with them about receipts pictures etc. they told me I have to wait for a claim number which I received 4 times and still no resolution. I understand the replacement part is very cheap but whats the point of buying refresh and not using it. I am inclined to do a chargeback on my credit card for them lacking to provide me with their service. anyone else have such claim experience

I would go with the charge back tbh. From what I've read about DJIs service, you'd probably get a refurbished drone back when you finally get a replacement. Didn't you have an option to go back to the retailer? Or you bought directly from DJI?

I would go with the charge back tbh. From what I've read about DJIs service, you'd probably get a refurbished drone back when you finally get a replacement. Didn't you have an option to go back to the retailer? Or you bought directly from DJI?
I bought my bundle from bestbuy, I should probably call them. Whats the point of the refresh can someone here give feedback on their experience with refresh positive or not

I have something else to add. You MUST transfer the balance of your DJI Care Refresh policy if they replace your drone. It is NOT done automatically. You need to send the following information to [email protected]: your DJI Care Refresh Contract Number, your Case Number, the Old Mavic Pro Serial Number, and the New Mavic Pro Serial Number.

Youser, I can confirm that you will receive a refurbished drone instead of a new one.

MovingMetal, if I had it to do all over again, I would definitely go the insurance route instead of DJI Care Refresh.

Reactions: Youser
I have something else to add. You MUST transfer the balance of your DJI Care Refresh policy if they replace your drone. It is NOT done automatically. You need to send the following information to [email protected]: your DJI Care Refresh Contract Number, your Case Number, the Old Mavic Pro Serial Number, and the New Mavic Pro Serial Number.

Youser, I can confirm that you will receive a refurbished drone instead of a new one.

MovingMetal, if I had it to do all over again, I would definitely go the insurance route instead of DJI Care Refresh.
please provide some more info on insurance route, do you mean purchasing the plan from the electronic store or some alternative ?

My personal experience with DJI Care Refresh was shocking to me.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet